brad walker

Brazilian Girlfriend needs letter of invitation for tourist visa

53 posts in this topic

Timeline

hi ya'll, 

i just got back from spending the month of june in brazil with my gf, she is now working on the process to visit me in the US with a tourist visa, and then later apply for a k1 and do the whole process until were married here. 

i need to send her a letter of invitation as required. to my knowledge theres a couple types of letters available. one of them stating that the US resident (me) will provide for all the visitors (her) expenses during her stay. i may or may not have the records/documents i need to be able to prove that i can. what documents do i need to provide to show such information? can my dad (living with him) be the one to write the letter and provide employment documents? and does anyone have any experience with helping a brazilian enter the US with a tourist visa?

anything would be so great, thanks so much  guys- brad

Anyone applying for a tourist visa has to prove ties to their country and be approved on their own merits.  If you do a search on here, you'll find many threads talking about letters of invitation and how that could actually hurt her case.  

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

you don't need to send anything

she will file and prove on her own merits strong ties to her country, and why she must return

you providing for everything could make it worse, they might think she is coming to marry you and adjust status in the US. she has to convince the offer that she has no intentions of doing so and that she must return to her country

This is such a commonly referred to myth. There is no need for an invitation letter or affidavit or support. It will not help their case, and could imply ties to the US (which hurts her case that she will return home).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

The one that has to present documentation about ties to Brazil is her. If you present information about you and a letter of invitation, it will give her ties to the US and her visa will likely be denied.

Information that she could present that would give her ties to Brazil are:

- Is she enrolled in a university? If so, she should get a letter of enrollment and a transcript

- Is she leasing an apartment? Does she have property? If so, she should take proof

- Does she have a job? If so, she could take a letter from her job saying he has holidays and is expected back. She can also take some paystubs.

Those are just examples. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, p-ana said:

where did you get the info that she needed an invitation letter? 

If if she has enough ties to Brazil, she should be able to get the visa with no problems. I doubt it, though, having an American boyfriend. All she can do is try.

She told me in her research.. that on the Brazilian government website it gives instructions , and asks for a letter from the household you will be staying at... thanks for ur reply 

Timeline
1 hour ago, az2014 said:

What part did you go to?

I did the 'go to brazil for 3 months and live with a brasiliera namorada (at the time)'.

Very fun times, loved it down there. Best part? Oh that bunda...

I went to the state of pernambuco. Close to the capitol Recife . 

It was a blast indeed . And so good that we wanna get married here... we'll see what happens 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

The one that has to present documentation about ties to Brazil is her. If you present information about you and a letter of invitation, it will give her ties to the US and her visa will likely be denied.

Information that she could present that would give her ties to Brazil are:

- Is she enrolled in a university? If so, she should get a letter of enrollment and a transcript

- Is she leasing an apartment? Does she have property? If so, she should take proof

- Does she have a job? If so, she could take a letter from her job saying he has holidays and is expected back. She can also take some paystubs.

Those are just examples. 

Thanks so much for the input 👍🏻

Timeline
2 hours ago, Dianalorena said:

I'm noticing that a lot of people have the idea that certain referrals/letters/affidavits are part of the tourist VISA process and it never has in my understanding. You always have to prove ties to your home country on your own, unless you're a kid, then it is proven through parent's assets/school/ etc. Submitting letters  can actually hinder your opportunities like others have stated. There is a pinned thread that discusses common questions and misconceptions regarding the VISA and it is quite thorough, my guess is maybe not a lot of people read it. It scares me the level of disinformation out there now that we have everything online. 

Thanks for the input man👌🏻 Idk why it's been hard for me to find this info ... can't find a lot of Brazilian to US cases 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
10 hours ago, brad walker said:

hiya'll, 

i just got back from spending the month of june in brazil with my gf, she is now working on the process to visit me in the US with a tourist visa, and then later apply for a k1 and do the whole process until were married here. 

i need to send her a letter of invitation as required. to my knowledge theres a couple types of letters available. one of them stating that the US resident (me) will provide for all the visitors (her) expenses during her stay. i may or may not have the records/documents i need to be able to prove that i can. what documents do i need to provide to show such information? can my dad (living with him) be the one to write the letter and provide employment documents? and does anyone have any experience with helping a brazilian enter the US with a tourist visa?

anything would be so great, thanks so much  guys- brad

It sounds like you are confusing the requirements for k1 visa with tourist visa. A k1 is a non-immigrant fiancee visa, and a b2 is a tourist visa. These are not related in any way. The requirements for each one are unique and related to the actual desired status (tourist or fiancee). I have heard many people talk about the "letter of invitation" in relation to tourist visas throughout the years. This letter is not a real requirement for any of these 2 types.  If she applies for a tourist visa she will have to prove ties to her home country (financial situation, employment,family connections etc),  there is nothing for you to be doing or showing in regard to it, as this first of all makes no sense, and second of all it makes her look suspicious -  that she could be applying for a tourist visa with the intention of immigrating ilegally at any point.

My advice is that you guys talk about this and find out what are your mutual goals and desires for the future. Then create a plan of action based on that.  Finding a good lawyer can help determine the proper legal plan of action, once you two have determined your stance of course.

Hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.