Michal K.

2 days ESTA overstay

33 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

She does not have a visa, that is the point, needs to apply for one.

I made a typo at first saying visa instead of esta. What I'm trying to say it, because OP thinks it shouldn't matter he overstayed 2 days (at least, that's what I'm getting out of his story), that he can try to enter with his current ESTA again but the officer will see he overstayed and therefore will send him back home.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

I made a typo at first saying visa instead of esta. What I'm trying to say it, because OP thinks it shouldn't matter he overstayed 2 days (at least, that's what I'm getting out of his story), that he can try to enter with his current ESTA again but the officer will see he overstayed and therefore will send him back home.

No she can not, please read the whole thread. No longer has a valid ESTA.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

I am not an expert but considering OP filed for AOS it might be that OP's ESTA privileges has been revoked. OP would have to apply for a new one and it would be denied. 

4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

I am not an expert but considering OP filed for AOS it might be that OP's ESTA privileges has been revoked. OP would have to apply for a new one and it would be denied. 

Actually it's the overstay that has the immediate impact on their ESTA. That requires them to reapply, and they would no longer qualify. Although, filing for AOS makes the ability to actually enter on an ESTA or get a tourist visa much more difficult (if they had no overstay).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Actually it's the overstay that has the immediate impact on their ESTA. That requires them to reapply, and they would no longer qualify. Although, filing for AOS makes the ability to actually enter on an ESTA or get a tourist visa much more difficult (if they had no overstay).

That is why I said the AOS might have revoked her ESTA. Then on the new application she'd be denied because of the overstay?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

That is why I said the AOS might have revoked her ESTA. Then on the new application she'd be denied because of the overstay?

AOS is irrelevant. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

Nope. If the OP never overstayed, they would still be permitted to use their same ESTA. Now remember that ESTA is only a "pre-clearance"...it doesn't grant entry. The CBP officer would still have to assess intent, and with a recent AOS application I wouldn't be surprised if they determined immigrant intent.

"A new travel authorization may be required in any of the following circumstances:

• The traveler is issued a new passport
  • The traveler changes his or her name
  • The traveler changes his or her gender
  • The traveler's country of citizenship changes; or
  • The circumstances underlying the traveler's previous responses to any of the ESTA application questions requiring a "yes" or "no" response have changed."

The bolded line is the one requiring a new ESTA application after an overstay.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Nope. If the OP never overstayed, they would still be permitted to use their same ESTA. Now remember that ESTA is only a "pre-clearance"...it doesn't grant entry. The CBP officer would still have to assess intent, and with a recent AOS application I wouldn't be surprised if they determined immigrant intent.

"A new travel authorization may be required in any of the following circumstances:

• The traveler is issued a new passport
  • The traveler changes his or her name
  • The traveler changes his or her gender
  • The traveler's country of citizenship changes; or
  • The circumstances underlying the traveler's previous responses to any of the ESTA application questions requiring a "yes" or "no" response have changed."

The bolded line is the one requiring a new ESTA application after an overstay.

Thank you for the explanation! I'm learning new stuff here everyday! :) Great to actually get an explanation and not just a "AOS is irrelevant". Makes it easier in the future if the same situation comes up in the future and I can actually explain why to that person. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
18 hours ago, Michal K. said:

Guys it's all shoulda woulda coulda, and I see no substance in what you write, one thread contradicts another. My original intent was not to stay and adjust, I came with one suitcase and I never wanted to live in this country! There are better places for Europeans. Honestly. I was convinced by my spouse as he makes a substantial amount and we figured we could do it from within the country while being able to be together. 

Wellif the immigration law in my case states I committed a fraud or crime by overstaying my esta while aod was filed but had to leave due to abuse... then yes this and many other laws are flawed in the USA! After all I left the usa with two days overstay of esta that hypothetically was overridden by the pending application of bloody adjustment. Where is sense in all of this? I'm permitted to stay on esta if I file aod but should the circumstances change and I get beat up by my relative my departure will be considered overstaying my esta. Any immigration lawyer on here? Or is it just your logical conclusions ? Cos my logic is as above. 

what a state! g

thanks guys

No, the law makes perfect sense to me.  You are in theory not allowed to enter on ESTA and having the intention to adjust status. However, the door to AOS for ESTA entrants is open because ESTA entrants are permitted AOS should they had a change of heart AFTER entering the US. It is hard for USCIS to prove your intent upon arrival.

You are granted temporary status stay status pending adjudication of your AOS application, that status doesn't allow you to leave to enter unless you are granted an advance parole document.

If you left the US while your AOS is pending without obtaining an advanced parole document, then you are deemed by USCIS to have abandoned your AOS, any temporary status you had because of a pending application cease to exist.

You may not use ESTA again, and applying for a B2 visa would be difficult because by filing an AOS, you're deemed to have immigration intent.

Straighten out your relations with the husband and apply for CR1, or I don't know recourses may be available to you.

1 hour ago, Unidentified said:

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

No she can not, please read the whole thread. No longer has a valid ESTA.

Y'all are missing my point lol. I know that, but OP seems to think he/she can still enter the US with the ESTA even with a two day overstay (quote; " this have an impact on my future travels to the USA or considering my good history of timely visits this will be overlooked.") even though everyone is advising to pursue a visa now that the ESTA is no longer valid to use as he/she broke the agreement of 90 days. OP then goes in with this; " Where is sense in all of this? I'm permitted to stay on esta if I file aod but should the circumstances change and I get beat up by my relative my departure will be considered overstaying my esta." So all I said was, well you can try (not possible but I was just being a smartass) but you will be turned away by customs for not having a valid ESTA because of the overstay.

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

To summarize what I've gleaned from everyone except the OP:

1.  OP Overstayed VWP

2.  Intended to immigrate after marriage

3.  Departed from US after #1

Sounds like a very, very small chance of OP legally entering US in the foreseeable future.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.