Alexandre

J-1 visa extension rules harder?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi guys,

A friend a mine wanted to extend is current J-1 (trainee) for 6 more months.

His company in the US has a dedicated department for the management of the visas, and they told him to return to France and go to the US embassy in Paris (they are doing all the paperwork). So he did it, and when he went to the embassy, the US agent canceled his current J1 and said that it would have been better not to leave the US...

I don't understand what happened to him, and he doesn't understand too... His company is sorry, they said they never encountered such a situation. Is it a new Trump's policy? Are the US trying to decrease the number of J-1 and cancel the extension or is this an isolated case?

I am going to extend my J-1 in 2 weeks for 6 months more, my sponsor told me that I don't need to return to France, I'll do everything from the US... Do I have to be worried?

Thank you

Edited by Alexandre

I don't know what happened. You do not have to leave to extend your DS 2019. So do it while in the US and don't go to France.

You only need the J1 stamp on your passport to travel outside of the US and get back to the US. If you are going to stay in the US there is no point to going to get a new stamp. It is a waste of time, money, and you are risking a denial for whatever silly reason.

I just wrote on another thread by someone else asking about someone with a J1 trainee also from France.

Edited by Coco8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.