AndyR82

Problems getting work in the US

16 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is more of a question for the people based over here, has anybody had any issues with obtaining a job you have more than enough experience for?

I can't get anywhere even though I've got 14 years of previous experience. Tried for entry level and haven't really got any bites. It seems they only go with what you know here. 

8 minutes ago, AndyR82 said:

Hi all, this is more of a question for the people based over here, has anybody had any issues with obtaining a job you have more than enough experience for?

I can't get anywhere even though I've got 14 years of previous experience. Tried for entry level and haven't really got any bites. It seems they only go with what you know here. 

If you don't mind me asking, what field are you trying to get work in?

01/18/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/05/17 - NOA2 (100 days from NOA1)

05/19/17 - NVC received and case number assigned

05/26/17 - Case left NVC, status 'In Transit'

05/30/17 - Medical

05/31/17 - Consulate received 

07/13/17 - Interview, APPROVED!

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

07/22/17 - POE Newark, successful

08/02/17 - Married

08/23/17 - AOS filed (incl. EAD and AP)

08/31/17 - NOA1 date on AOS packet

09/21/17 - Biometrics appt

10/16/17 - Online tracker says 'Ready for Interview'

11/09/17 - EAD and AP approved

11/16/17 - EAD/AP combo card arrived

12/19/17 - Green card interview

12/22/17 - RFE received (medical had been lost)

01/23/18 - Green card in production

Filed: Other Timeline

One of the questions that recruiters kept asking me is "Do you have US experience?" and since i said NO (have never worked in the US or serving US companies), they said - without it, they cannot consider my application. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As above, it really depends on your field.. for instance, my partner has a bachelors degree in management and hospitality (typical yes); and he has US work experience in NY over two different J-1 visas previously.

A couple restaurants he applied for manager/GM level at, they asked if he would be okay with doing even as low as dish washing, which he even said yes, as he should know the system top to bottom. Some seemed, as he put it, 'intimidated' almost when they saw he had a degree which perhaps where he was applying to that was very rare, not sure myself. HE did land a job but is working entry level training up for a coupel months before training for GM..... 

It is not uncommon to hear there is a bit of a struggle to find the first door you can get your foot into.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

10 minutes ago, NatO23 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what field are you trying to get work in?

I worked for an insurance company was a level 2 handler went for an entry level and got turned down.

5 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

As above, it really depends on your field.. for instance, my partner has a bachelors degree in management and hospitality (typical yes); and he has US work experience in NY over two different J-1 visas previously.

A couple restaurants he applied for manager/GM level at, they asked if he would be okay with doing even as low as dish washing, which he even said yes, as he should know the system top to bottom. Some seemed, as he put it, 'intimidated' almost when they saw he had a degree which perhaps where he was applying to that was very rare, not sure myself. HE did land a job but is working entry level training up for a coupel months before training for GM..... 

It is not uncommon to hear there is a bit of a struggle to find the first door you can get your foot into.

Sounds like I'll have to go for the one place around here to get the experience of working in the call centre environment. I'm currently working at Walgreens as it was the first position offered after getting my card.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Any chance your finance (or spouse now) is willing to move and you can apply in other states

the foreigners here have no problems getting work / this could be a state problem only

My husband is working with people from his country, Algeria, the Sudan, Syria, Germany, etc

Skip the recruiters and try sites online or go to a temp service as so many places now use a temp to full time (if person works out) policy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have you considered registering with any temp agencies, if you have any in your local area? I applied to so many jobs without much luck as soon as I got my EAD. I was full of excitement when it first arrived, but it ended up getting pretty disheartening to put effort into so many applications and never hear back from most of them. However, within a week or two of registering with an agency I had a short term placement in my field. I approached the short term job in two ways 1) a great chance to get some of this 'US work experience'  mentioned above, and 2) as a kind of working interview. It worked out well as my short term role ended up turning into a long term role.

The other option is to see if there are any opportunities to volunteer in your field, although clearly that has the drawback of not resulting in any income!

Edited by Markip1

I-129F Sent........... ...................................25th January 2016

I-129F NOA1.............................................3rd February 2016

I-129F RFE................................................30th March 2016 *Missing Beneficiary's intent to marry letter

RFE Reply................................................13th April 2016

I-129F NOA2.............................................28th April 2016

NVC Received..........................................13th May 2016

Date Case #, IIN and BIN assigned..........17th May 2016

Sent to consulate....................................18th May 2016

DS-160 filled out......................................19th May 2016

Consulate received.................................26th May 2016

Packet 3 received....................................28th May 2016

Medical.....................................................11th July 2016

Interview...................................................27th July 2016 - Approved!

Entered USA............................................27th December 2016

Married.....................................................29th December 2016

AOS Filed.................................................6th January 2017

NOA..........................................................10th January 2017

Biometrics................................................7th March 2017

EAD/AP Approved....................................11th April 2017

EAD/AP Received....................................22nd April 2017

AOS Approved.........................................23rd June 2017 *Interview Waived

Greencard received..................................29th June 2017

2 minutes ago, AndyR82 said:

I worked for an insurance company was a level 2 handler went for an entry level and got turned down.

Sounds like I'll have to go for the one place around here to get the experience of working in the call centre environment. I'm currently working at Walgreens as it was the first position offered after getting my card.

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I would imagine that for something like insurance where there are fairly strict systems and protocols, country-specific experience would be a pretty big requirement. Same with healthcare, or accounting for example. Are there any courses that you can take fairly easily/cheaply while you keep applying? I'm not familiar with your field, so excuse any ignorance! I just imagine that anything you can do to become familiar with the US field might be helpful. 

Good luck with everything, you'll get there in the end!

01/18/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

01/25/17 - NOA1

05/05/17 - NOA2 (100 days from NOA1)

05/19/17 - NVC received and case number assigned

05/26/17 - Case left NVC, status 'In Transit'

05/30/17 - Medical

05/31/17 - Consulate received 

07/13/17 - Interview, APPROVED!

07/21/17 - Visa in hand

07/22/17 - POE Newark, successful

08/02/17 - Married

08/23/17 - AOS filed (incl. EAD and AP)

08/31/17 - NOA1 date on AOS packet

09/21/17 - Biometrics appt

10/16/17 - Online tracker says 'Ready for Interview'

11/09/17 - EAD and AP approved

11/16/17 - EAD/AP combo card arrived

12/19/17 - Green card interview

12/22/17 - RFE received (medical had been lost)

01/23/18 - Green card in production

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Walgreens isn't a bad start. There is huge turnover in call center work so make sure you have online applications set up for every call center in your area and then bide your time. You'll get something. Probably sooner than later. Good luck.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm in hotel management with a lot of international experience but no US experience and I had no problems finding a job. It really does depend a lot on your field and where you're living. Fields such as HR, insurance, law firms etc will be much more difficult for a foreigner without US experience to get a job in, because those jobs require a vast knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations.

If you want to continue in the insurance field, I would say look into an education or training class focusing on insurance brokerage or similar. Or are there any low level assistant jobs in the field, so you could stay in your field, learn as you go along and work your way up?

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I registered with two temp agencies and applied for 9+ jobs per week on Indeed, including Walmart and Walgreens/CVS but mostly (front) office positions. I did have three interview calls and two interviews but they never got back to me, even though I stated I was allowed to work in the US. It wasn't until late April that the hotel I currently work at called me (5 weeks after applying for their front desk position) for an interview and I got hired on spot. Chances are now, after three months, I am being considered to become the general manager when he opens his new hotel in 2018 and this is without zero hotel experience - just 10+ years of customer service and assistant manager experience, so somewhere I do think companies look at experience, depending on the branch. 

What I think is that it always will be a battle for immigrants because why should they hire you? What do you have that a regular American has with the same education/degrees? I felt like I had to stand out more than usual. 

Edit; Mallafri gave you good advice about what to do when you want to continue working in insurance. You might want to look into some schooling or training, some online classes? 

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Studying or doing some executive program at a university might work. You are relatively close to the University of Iowa. The university is very good and because it is a state school and you are a resident of Iowa, your tuition will be low. For instance, if you have 14 years of experience you can look into doing a Professional MBA or an Executive MBA. Usually these programs are during the weekends and you also have the opportunity to meet other people. 

Also, have you set up a linkedin profile? There are probably not many people in the are where you live with your profile so if you set up a profile, with as much information as possible, you might have people contact you. Also, linkedin alerts you of positions in your area. 

HI, I assume you've looked at all insurance company websites and applied prospectively. I applied for a couple of positions that were not in my field as such( i was area sales representative back home in the UK) and had a choice of positions. One was with insurance( never done insurance)) they just wanted someone with customer experience_ which you will have in abundance) I was expected to get state qualified sit my exams.THis was with American Family Insurance- maybe try them if you haven't already. I actually took a job working in a bank again no banking experience what so ever, and am really enjoying it- they are teaching me banking. If your interested Woodforest bank are always looking for people- maybe where you live as they don't have branches in all states. I found Glassdoor and Indeed really helpful in looking for jobs and set up alerts for lots of potential positions.  

Never came across the do you have any experience in US- maybe because they saw from CV my work history was UK based. 

Hope this helps.

Keep looking you will get something real son

I was very fortunate. I got the first job I applied for and actually was interviewed and hired before I even left the U.K. I think it's because of a combination of factors:

-it's Seattle. There are lots of jobs available here and it's a culturally and ethnically diverse city and also very liberal. I don't think I'd have had the same success in a smaller, rural, more conservative area. 

- the industry I am in is global with very few regional differences. There is one global set of standards we all follow. If you've worked in one office, you've worked in them all. 

- I was recruited because I'm European. The company was particularly looking for someone with European experience. I speak to London and Barcelona on an almost daily basis and they needed someone who understands how Europeans work and what things are like there. We have a bit of banter and so on. An American just wouldn't be able to have that kind of rapport with Europeans. I also worked in the sane industry in Europe so I understand the industry there.

so, is it worth looking into multi-nationals who do regular business with Europe? You have something there that no American can bring to the table. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. 

Messaged a local agency yesterday still awaiting a response back from them. Not too bothered about getting back into Insurance but something similar I miss going into the office everyday.

Randomly sent an application to a local lawn care company that's mainly working on computers and speaking to people and actually got a response asking me to attend an interview on Tuesday, I was a little surprised!!! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.