Catherina

Can an American who lives abroad help me co sponsor my green card

19 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

My cousin and her husband lives in Germany and are planning to come back soon. Can he  sponsor my green card from Germany? He works for the US government so he is still paying taxes.

1 minute ago, Roel said:

What do you mean sponsor your green card?

Sponsor have to be either a US citizen or a green card holder.

Yes the co sponsor will be a citizen. I need the green card. I'm out of status.

Generally, responses should be in the thread because 1) it's peer reviewed so the OP can get the most accurate information for their specific circumstances, and 2) others in the future can see and benefit from the information.

@OP

A cousin (or their husband) cannot sponsor a green card. The purpose of the process is family reunification, which is limited to spouses, children, parents, and siblings (albeit that's a 15-30 year wait...). In-laws, cousins, grandparents/grandkids, etc. are not included (albeit you could petition for parents and then they can petition for their parents once they have a green card).

1 hour ago, Hypnos said:

Well you asked, so apparently you thought you did. Information here on VJ is peer-reviewed, meaning everyone fact-checks everyone else. That way the most accurate information is what emerges as the consensus. 

PMing information runs contrary to that goal. 

OP, when your say "sponsor" it isn't clear whether you mean the initial I-130 filing or an I-864 affidavit of support. 

The affidavit of support

10 hours ago, Roel said:

What do you mean sponsor your green card?

Sponsor have to be either a US citizen or a green card holder.

" He works for the US government" <------ so he is abroad working for the US government? 

While working for US government is still considered as part of "time spent in the USA" (int the case of parents passing over citizenship to child) not sure if that can also be counted as domiciled in the USA....

59 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

Whatever his living situation, s/he can't be sponsored as a cousin.  There is no such category.

My original title said co sponsor. Someone to fill our the affidavit of support as my husband doesnt make enough

4 hours ago, abumiqdad said:

" He works for the US government" <------ so he is abroad working for the US government? 

While working for US government is still considered as part of "time spent in the USA" (int the case of parents passing over citizenship to child) not sure if that can also be counted as domiciled in the USA....

7 hours ago, mimolicious said:

This.

My husband had been on military/government orders in Europe for over 10 years when he completed his I-684 for my CR-1 and he did not need to show domicile or proof of re-establishing domicile in the US. 

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.