German in UK

O-1 processing time at London embassy

73 posts in this topic

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm experiencing a frustratingly long wait for my O visa to be processed. I had my visa petition approved in May and duly attended my visa appointment at the London embassy on 26 May. The consular officer asked what seemed to me strange questions (e.g. 'How can you be famous as an academic?', etc) and seemed grumpy that I hadn't brought my CV, which wasn't in the list of required docs I had been asked to bring. She said she'd look into the whole thing. Nothing happened for over a week and then, on 7 June, I received the additional processing email and a request for additional information, which I submitted on the same day (I had to submit exactly the same info for my J-1 two years earlier, so I still had it on file). Since then, absolutely nothing. This has caused all sorts of problems: I've missed the start date of my new job by three weeks (and counting), had to move out of accommodation in the UK, etc. I have heard that the London embassy in particular has recently gained prominence in US legal circles for causing an abundance of problems with the processing of O visas and that the Dept of State has been informed of this. Has anyone else encountered this at the London embassy?

Timeline

My new institution wanted me on the ground fairly quickly and the expedited version of the H1B has been suspended. It's still available for the O visa, which also covers education. My petition was approved without any problems. 

16 minutes ago, German in UK said:

My new institution wanted me on the ground fairly quickly and the expedited version of the H1B has been suspended. It's still available for the O visa, which also covers education. My petition was approved without any problems. 

thanks for the info, sorry I can't be of any help. I thought O-visa may not allow you to apply for Green Card but that is not the case, so there's no problem there. I hope it works out quickly!

Wow that is a long time.

Do you mind me asking how many publications you have and how long ago did you get your PhD? I am waiting for a J1 waiver* and if I cannot get it I might have to do an O1. But because I got my PhD a year ago I feel an O1 is not likely at all, plus even though I have 3 top publications, that is small compared to those in a "lab type science" in which you can get tons of publications by coauthoring. At least I know through a friend a postdoc with an O1 and he has a ton of stuff because he works in a bioengineering lab at an university.

*My J1 was a long time ago when the embassy invited as a government official for 20 days (government visitor) and they never mentioned the 2 year requirement. Right after that I started my PhD with an F1. I got a TT job and found out about the J1 when I was filling out the H1B application. I was told the waiver is likely to be favorable but who the hell knows.

Timeline

I'm in the humanities, so the number of publications tends to be much lower than in the sciences (co-authoring is rare, using someone else's methodology or data is not acknowledged by listing them as an author, etc). So I have a couple of books published (incl. an award winner) and two in the pipeline (contracted to big UPs), plus a dozen or so articles and book chapters (several of them in high impact journals). I've also been elected to the executive board of inter-/national learned societies and review for presses/journals. You know, all those things one gets to do over the years (I got my PhD in 2005) and that I wouldn't have had on my CV just a year after getting my PhD. 260+ pages of evidence meant that the petition sailed through without any problems. I have no idea why the processing is happening at such a glacial pace, but it's causing big problems... day 42 and counting. Good luck with yours!

17 minutes ago, German in UK said:

I'm in the humanities, so the number of publications tends to be much lower than in the sciences (co-authoring is rare, using someone else's methodology or data is not acknowledged by listing them as an author, etc). So I have a couple of books published (incl. an award winner) and two in the pipeline (contracted to big UPs), plus a dozen or so articles and book chapters (several of them in high impact journals). I've also been elected to the executive board of inter-/national learned societies and review for presses/journals. You know, all those things one gets to do over the years (I got my PhD in 2005) and that I wouldn't have had on my CV just a year after getting my PhD. 260+ pages of evidence meant that the petition sailed through without any problems. I have no idea why the processing is happening at such a glacial pace, but it's causing big problems... day 42 and counting. Good luck with yours!

Thanks for the answer! 

It might not help, but one thing you could do is to ask a senator to make an inquiry to the consulate on your case. You could ask someone at the university to do it on your behalf, or you could ask for someone's address from the university and do it yourself. I'm referring to the address because one of the first things they ask for is an address to make sure you live in the senator's state. They respond because they have immigration liasons and if you are going to work at a university, they will be interested in the case too. The consulate has to respond to a legislator's inquiry in like 3 days.

I have not seen people with O1 or H1B do this, but it is a fairly common procedure for people when doing spousal and fiance visas run into problems.

Because of the time difference it might be too late for you to call. But they have online forms you can fill in. Some take a while to get back, so if you could try calling them tomorrow and referencing your case. Or you could also try looking for a fax number and sending it again. Basically, send your case through any method you find (email, fax, phone, twitter, facebook, etc.) so the chances of them doing something this week increase.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline

Hi again,

yes, the president of my new university wrote to the senator requesting assistance some two weeks ago (I had to sign a form giving the senator permission to discuss my case). Seems to have made no difference - my case still hasn't been updated since June 6th.

11 minutes ago, German in UK said:

Hi again,

yes, the president of my new university wrote to the senator requesting assistance some two weeks ago (I had to sign a form giving the senator permission to discuss my case). Seems to have made no difference - my case still hasn't been updated since June 6th.

Maybe the senator's office hasn't looked at the request yet because, if they had, you would have heard back from them. Try giving them a call. 

I totally get your frustration. If USCIS approved the petition the consulate has nothing to do with it, particularly if you are from the UK. I'd understand if you were in the Middle East or some country in which they basically tell you they are doing background checks for months, but the US and the UK are allies and they can easily get a complete background check about you from the police, MI 5, Scotland Yard, etc.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline

Most likely and i dont want to be negative person and i wish you the best.. but you seemed to have exact same experience as we had in slovakia with our EB1, if you look up eb1 is similar to O1 but diference is we got green card.. same things happened to my husband they let us wait 2 months and sent our case back to uscis, we received NOIR with false accusations and speculations and our lawyer answered , we got reaffirmed  had second interview and were approved on the spot, immmigrant visas in the passport the same day we have been in the us since november 2016. you can checkout my timeline

Timeline

Thanks for the information - perfectly conceivable that this might happen to me too. That said, the additional information I was asked to provide had nothing to do with the 'extraordinary ability' required for the O-1.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Slovakia
Timeline

exactly  for example for us we didnt use criteria with the high salary but consular officer asked my husband exactly this.. it doesnt matter you didnt included that in the petition since you are so known and famous artist you should have high salary right? we told her yes he was making a lot of money but since he was so young he was kinda of tax exception in slovakia so we didnt have documents showing the money but we had property we paid in cash in our name, two cars,etc.. she didnt believe and used it in paper to uscis it said even though you didnt include high salary as your criteria you are supposed to show your salary when asked what a mess :D and another 5 false accusiations from here she tried to make it so hard for us, our lawyer made HUGE respond with so many points how false and speculative was the NOIR and we got reaffirmed in 10 days.. second time same consular officer didnt even bother with us and looked at us just said ehm congratulations you can pick up your passports afternoon. she just didnt believe how can 22 years old guy be so famous in such a young age without living in america before.. oh come on how could he live there before, when he was 15 ? :D

Timeline

:-) During my interview, the consular officer repeatedly highlighted as a problem that I wasn't famous like a pop star or athlete. Not that the O-1 criteria demand fame. And there is a difference between fame and merit, of course, but that didn't seem to matter. ;-)

Day 44 and counting...

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

For those who are interested: the 60-day period during which most visa applications are supposedly processed ended yesterday for me. Absolutely no progress in the application. Request for a status update has gone unanswered. 

Filed: Timeline
On 7/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, Coco8 said:

Maybe the senator's office hasn't looked at the request yet because, if they had, you would have heard back from them. Try giving them a call. 

I totally get your frustration. If USCIS approved the petition the consulate has nothing to do with it, particularly if you are from the UK. I'd understand if you were in the Middle East or some country in which they basically tell you they are doing background checks for months, but the US and the UK are allies and they can easily get a complete background check about you from the police, MI 5, Scotland Yard, etc.

Your last paragraph is inaccurate. Yes, USCIS approved the petition, but it is a two-step process for a reason. The consulate does have something to do with it. USCIS goes only by the papers submitted, but the consular officer has the individual present to interview.  The consulate role is to ensure that the documentation does, in fact, reflect the person's true achievements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.