stas90

I was married but applied as single

10 posts in this topic

Hello! 

Last year I applied to DV Lottery and won. I applied on the 08 of October 2016 and got married on 16 of September 2016 (3 weeks before I applied).

I marked as single, because I've been waiting for documents that we are married.

What to do now? Is it fault? And how should I fill DS-260 form?

Thank you!

You can add spouses, children, etc. even if they were not listed on your form. They do that because people can get married or have kids after filling in the form.

If they ask you why he was not on the form you can say what you just said. Technically, he should have been included but because it was an application, it is a minor issue. 

Thank you for answers.

But here's only one nuance, when we got married, the registry service did not give us marriage certificate on the day of marriage.
Instead of it, they said to us to come in the end of October to receive docs. So when we applied to the lottery, we knew that we were married, but we did not know since when, because we didn't have a certificate and thought that they can change the date in the certificate because we'll receive it later.

So, the situation is difficult, because if we imagine: I will apply to the lottery as married in the beginning of October and receive docs in the end of October and date of marriage would be end of October, so it would be wrong too.

How do you think, if I explain it to consul, will I have a chance to get a visa? 

I also can provide a document from registry service that I received marriage certificate not on the date of marriage

Edited by stas90

17 minutes ago, stas90 said:

Thank you for answers.

But here's only one nuance, when we got married, the registry service did not give us marriage certificate on the day of marriage.
Instead of it, they said to us to come in the end of October to receive docs. So when we applied to the lottery, we knew that we were married, but we did not know since when, because we didn't have a certificate and thought that they can change the date in the certificate because we'll receive it later.

So, the situation is difficult, because if we imagine: I will apply to the lottery as married in the beginning of October and receive docs in the end of October and date of marriage would be end of October, so it would be wrong too.

How do you think, if I explain it to consul, will I have a chance to get a visa? 

I also can provide a document from registry service that I received marriage certificate not on the date of marriage

You were married before you entered and knew you were married. You will get denied. It doesn't matter if you didn't have the document yet. Of course you knew the date of your marriage and that you were married when you entered.  It's like saying you left your baby off because you didn't get a birth certificate immediately so you didn't know when it was born!  Honestly this doesn't sound like any real excuse and they don't take excuses on this matter anyway. The rules are very clear, as posted before. 

Of course, if you want to spend somewhere in excess of $1000 to have a consular official tell you the same thing, that's your prerogative. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, stas90 said:

Thank you for answers.

The day you said "I do" is the day you got married. You clearly knew you were married.

8 hours ago, Unidentified said:

The day you said "I do" is the day you got married. You clearly knew you were married.

Lmaoooo this comment had me rolling 😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

I-130 PROCESS

01/17/2014 (Day 0): mailed I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

01/21/2014 (Day 4): I-130 delivered signed by R. Mercado.

01/23/2014 (Day 6): email NOA (case transferred to TSC)

01/27/2014 (Day 10): NOA 1 received (PD 01/21/2014)

05/30/2014 (Day 134): I-30 APPROVED, email NOA 2

06/05/2014 (Day 140): APPROVAL LETTER RECEIVED!!!!

I-485 AOS

06/10/2014 (Day 0): mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox

06/11/2014 (Day 1): I-485 delivered signed by R.Mercado

06/16/2014 (Day 5): received email NOA for all forms (I-485 transferred to NSC; I-131 & I-765 processed at NBC)

06/17/2014 (Day 6): check cashed

06/21/2014 (Day 10): received hard copy NOA1 for all forms

06/23/2014 (Day 12): received biometric appointment letter 

07/11/2014 (Day 30): BIOMETRICS COMPLETED

07/14/2014 (Day 33): requested Expedite processing I-765

07/17/2014 (Day 36): request for evidence for expedite

07/23/2014 (Day 42): faxed in documents to USCIS

07/25/2014 (Day 44): e-notification, EAD/AP APPROVED!! 

07/29/2014 (Day 48): Status change “Testing and Interview"

07/31/2014 (Day 50): online status update "EAD card mailed

08/01/2014 (Day 51): EAD/AP CARD RECEIVED

08/13/2014 (Day 63): status change interview scheduled

08/15/2014 (Day 65): interview mail (9/18/14 @11:15AM)

09/18/2014 (Day 99): INTERVIEW APPROVED ON SPOT

09/22/2014 (Day 103): I-485 approval notice received

09/24/2014 (Day 105): Status change Green card mailed

09/27/2014 (Day 108): 2YRS GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!

I-751 ROC

09/15/2016 (Day 0): mailed ROC with divorce waiver

09/16/2016 (Day 1): delivered VSC, signed by L. Zuckowski

09/21/2016 (Day 5): check cashed

09/24/2016 (Day 8): received EXTENSION letter in the mail

10/06/2016 (Day 20): biometrics mail received (09/30/16)

10/17/2016 (Day 31): biometrics completed

09/11/2017 (Day 361): I-751 APPROVED

09/15/2017 (Day 365): Approval notice received in the mail

09/26/2017 (Day 376): Status change card in production

09/29/2017 (Day 379): Status change card mailed on 09/28

10/02/2017 (DAY 382): 10YRS GREEN CARD DELIVERED

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.