fitleo

I-864 (manually or electronically???)

10 posts in this topic

I am filling out I-864 and now having second thoughts

Should I fill out in the pdf format (in-document filling) and then print it? or should I print it and then manually fill it out

Also, if  I were to fill it out electronically should I write N/A in all the blanks that are not applicable to us?? or should I leave them blank? Will that affect the barcode??

The blanks that are meant for numbers do no take N/A in them, should I then write that manually? wouldn't that affect the barcode?

Please advise since I am very concerned about checklist for those who leave empty lines

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, fitleo said:

I am filling out I-864 and now having second thoughts

Should I fill out in the pdf format (in-document filling) and then print it? or should I print it and then manually fill it out

Also, if  I were to fill it out electronically should I write N/A in all the blanks that are not applicable to us?? or should I leave them blank? Will that affect the barcode??

The blanks that are meant for numbers do no take N/A in them, should I then write that manually? wouldn't that affect the barcode?

Please advise since I am very concerned about checklist for those who leave empty lines

Thank you

There's instructions for the form. Did you read them? https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

for example--

If you are completing this affidavit on a computer, USCIS will capture the data you enter using 2D barcode technology. This capture will ensure that the data you provide is accurately entered into USCIS systems.

So a good reason to use the computer.

Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed. 

There are a few lines that instruct "enter zero"

Blanks would be indicated as left blank on the barcode.

Edited by Wuozopo

31 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

There's instructions for the form. Did you read them? https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

for example--

If you are completing this affidavit on a computer, USCIS will capture the data you enter using 2D barcode technology. This capture will ensure that the data you provide is accurately entered into USCIS systems.

So a good reason to use the computer.

Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question which requires a numeric response is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed. 

There are a few lines that instruct "enter zero"

Blanks would be indicated as left blank on the barcode.

Thank you

Yes,  I read those instructions although we're at the NVC stage,  not uscis 

I agree with you that blanks would be as left blank if filed electorally and that's where I'm concerned, if it's a numerical field,  e.g. uscis number or a number, should I write Zero (0) wouldn't that be read as an incomplete number whereas I mean not applicable? 

Thx again

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, fitleo said:

Thank you

Yes,  I read those instructions although we're at the NVC stage,  not uscis 

I agree with you that blanks would be as left blank if filed electorally and that's where I'm concerned, if it's a numerical field,  e.g. uscis number or a number, should I write Zero (0) wouldn't that be read as an incomplete number whereas I mean not applicable? 

Thx again

It helps to use common sense.  If asked to provide the names and information of all the beneficiary's children, for example, once you have indicated NONE in the first space, the system knows the rest of the section is N/A.  Sorry, an I-864 example of this doesn't immediately come to mind.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

46 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

It helps to use common sense.  If asked to provide the names and information of all the beneficiary's children, for example, once you have indicated NONE in the first space, the system knows the rest of the section is N/A.  Sorry, an I-864 example of this doesn't immediately come to mind.

Hi there,

Yes, common sense helps a lot, but a lot of checklists comes from nonsensical information.

Thank you very much for your input. I believe from reading your comments on previous financial info inquiries (of which I can tell you're a seasoned member) I shouldn't leave any line blank.

It remains to find out the best way to fill out numerical blanks. I am afraid that a zero (0) will be coded as an erroneous input generating a checklist. For instance, I have no USCIS ELIS

Any recommendation for that

Thanks

Timeline
29 minutes ago, fitleo said:

Hi there,

Yes, common sense helps a lot, but a lot of checklists comes from nonsensical information.

Thank you very much for your input. I believe from reading your comments on previous financial info inquiries (of which I can tell you're a seasoned member) I shouldn't leave any line blank.

It remains to find out the best way to fill out numerical blanks. I am afraid that a zero (0) will be coded as an erroneous input generating a checklist. For instance, I have no USCIS ELIS

Any recommendation for that

Thanks

Ok, here's an I-864 example.  If your income is sufficient, the asset sections are optional, so can be left blank.  On the other hand, if your EMPLOYMENT income is sufficient, use the I-864EZ instead.  Some of the new forms don't let you enter ANY information in sections that have been rendered N/A by checking a box such as that your physical address and mailing address are the same.  In those cases, you cannot enter anything in the physical address spaces.  If in doubt, sure put something in there, but understand the difference between NONE and N/A.  Lots of questions to which the answer is NONE, are definitely applicable.  So, common sense still has to be used.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

19 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Ok, here's an I-864 example.  If your income is sufficient, the asset sections are optional, so can be left blank.  On the other hand, if your EMPLOYMENT income is sufficient, use the I-864EZ instead.  Some of the new forms don't let you enter ANY information in sections that have been rendered N/A by checking a box such as that your physical address and mailing address are the same.  In those cases, you cannot enter anything in the physical address spaces.  If in doubt, sure put something in there, but understand the difference between NONE and N/A.  Lots of questions to which the answer is NONE, are definitely applicable.  So, common sense still has to be used.

Thanks, the difference between None and N/A is definitely, important.

But as I said my inquiry is about numerical input such as A- # and USCIS ELIS # what should one put there as to not trigger inquiry especially since I don't have the latter (the blank doesn't take letters)

Thanks again

Timeline

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

It will.  Works every time.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.