Jump to content

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



My husband and I have made it to the United States, and in August will begin the process to remove the condition from his resident visa, since we will have been married for 2 years in November. What are some things we should be aware of? Bank accounts, proof, etc...


Also, we were thinking of bringing his sister to the US with a student visa to study English and possibly a postgraduate degree in law once she can speak the language well. Is this advised? Should we wait? Should my husband get his citizenship and then request his sister to come?


Also, what does citizenship look like? Is it advised? Will they take his original citizenship away from him? Can he have dual citizenship?


I apologize for all of the questions, but I am somewhat at a loss.


Thank you


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have he had his GC for 2 years? Sounds like you almost only got here. He has to have his 2 year GC before he can remove the conditions on it to get the 10 year GC not just being married 2 years.


Citizenship is having GC for 3 years + being married to you 3 years or having GC for 5 years.

If he can keep his citizenship from Venezuela all depends on if that country have duel citizenship if they do then he can have both if not the yes he will loose it if he becomes a US Citizen.


His sister will have to get the student visa on her own and also show the founds to pay for it since it's not cheap to study here. Otherwise then yes he will have to be a citizen before he can file for a visa for her to come and live here permanently. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at your timeline.


You guys just came to the US and since you have been married for under 2 years your husband have/will receive the 2 year Green Card. So he will not be able to ROC before 2019 (Look at the date on the GC when it expires and count 90 days back) that's when he can start ROC.

And also citizenship will not be before 2020.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.