5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello,

My husband and I have made it to the United States, and in August will begin the process to remove the condition from his resident visa, since we will have been married for 2 years in November. What are some things we should be aware of? Bank accounts, proof, etc...

Also, we were thinking of bringing his sister to the US with a student visa to study English and possibly a postgraduate degree in law once she can speak the language well. Is this advised? Should we wait? Should my husband get his citizenship and then request his sister to come?

Also, what does citizenship look like? Is it advised? Will they take his original citizenship away from him? Can he have dual citizenship?

I apologize for all of the questions, but I am somewhat at a loss.

Thank you

dhm2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Have he had his GC for 2 years? Sounds like you almost only got here. He has to have his 2 year GC before he can remove the conditions on it to get the 10 year GC not just being married 2 years.

Citizenship is having GC for 3 years + being married to you 3 years or having GC for 5 years.

If he can keep his citizenship from Venezuela all depends on if that country have duel citizenship if they do then he can have both if not the yes he will loose it if he becomes a US Citizen.

His sister will have to get the student visa on her own and also show the founds to pay for it since it's not cheap to study here. Otherwise then yes he will have to be a citizen before he can file for a visa for her to come and live here permanently. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just looked at your timeline.

You guys just came to the US and since you have been married for under 2 years your husband have/will receive the 2 year Green Card. So he will not be able to ROC before 2019 (Look at the date on the GC when it expires and count 90 days back) that's when he can start ROC.

And also citizenship will not be before 2020.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** Moving from CR-1 to ROC forum as Op is asking about that process *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.