20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I am considering visiting my family in Syria at the end of this summer, do you think that this will affect the process of getting a visa? and would it help if i bring in evidence that I was with my family and not doing any fishy business over there?

Thanks in advance 

I think you'll definitely get questioned heavily about it when it comes to obtaining a visa or entering the US unfortunately. 

I would like to think that it wouldn't effect your chances of getting a visa. On the news they stated that part of the Muslim travel bans was those with a bonafide relationship with a US Citizen seeking residency would not be effected. 

Hope all goes well for you! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jordan8768 said:

I think you'll definitely get questioned heavily about it when it comes to obtaining a visa or entering the US unfortunately. 

I would like to think that it wouldn't effect your chances of getting a visa. On the news they stated that part of the Muslim travel bans was those with a bonafide relationship with a US Citizen seeking residency would not be effected. 

Hope all goes well for you! 

At what point do you think that I will get questioned as we just received our NOA1?

well, you need think what kid of visa are tying to get?, when would be your interview?

if it is soon if i were i didnt go to Syria now, travel there for sure it will be an issue

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

3 minutes ago, scurvylemur said:

At what point do you think that I will get questioned as we just received our NOA1?

At the interview process and probably at the POE. But honestly if you have proof that you were visiting family it should be ok. 

Hopefully there will be someone on here with first hand experience. Unfortunately I can only speculate! 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, mytruelove18 said:

well, you need think what kid of visa are tying to get?, when would be your interview?

if it is soon if i were i didnt go to Syria now, travel there for sure it will be an issue

I am applying for a K-1 visa and we just got our NOA1 last week so i am assuming that the interview is around October/November. 

5 hours ago, scurvylemur said:

Hey everyone!

I am considering visiting my family in Syria at the end of this summer, do you think that this will affect the process of getting a visa? and would it help if i bring in evidence that I was with my family and not doing any fishy business over there?

Thanks in advance 

Honestly if I were you I would hold off on visiting Syria right now until you at least have your green card in the future. This is all due to the political climate going on and what people may think about you visiting Syria. Are you a man or woman? If you were a man then I would say definitely not go to Syria especially because they might think you went to help fight there. If you are a woman then it is up in the air but probably would not go at all. If you do go and they find out during the interview stage or at any time they might put you in additional processing which could take up to 1-2 years. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Coco8 said:

You could get stuck in the consulate portion of the process, due to extended background check because of red flags. People in those countries have been stuck at the consulate stage for almost a year. 

1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Honestly if I were you I would hold off on visiting Syria right now until you at least have your green card in the future. This is all due to the political climate going on and what people may think about you visiting Syria. Are you a man or woman? If you were a man then I would say definitely not go to Syria especially because they might think you went to help fight there. If you are a woman then it is up in the air but probably would not go at all. If you do go and they find out during the interview stage or at any time they might put you in additional processing which could take up to 1-2 years. 

Can I ask how they could find out he had visited Syria? Is it possible for the embassy to find out, if not directly questioning him during the interview? Also, even if he wanted to fight in Syria, his medical conditions would prohibit him from doing so and was excused from military obligations for this reason. I'm wondering if this would make it easier in the visa process or if we should still not consider the option of visiting Syria.

Another option we've considered is him visiting Lebanon and meeting his family there, but it is much more difficult to do. Regardless, we are trying really hard to get him to see his family before he moves to the US, considering he hasn't seen them in years.

Thank you all for your responses!

1 minute ago, toothpicks said:

Can I ask how they could find out he had visited Syria? Is it possible for the embassy to find out, if not directly questioning him during the interview? Also, even if he wanted to fight in Syria, his medical conditions would prohibit him from doing so and was excused from military obligations for this reason. I'm wondering if this would make it easier in the visa process or if we should still not consider the option of visiting Syria.

Another option we've considered is him visiting Lebanon and meeting his family there, but it is much more difficult to do. Regardless, we are trying really hard to get him to see his family before he moves to the US, considering he hasn't seen them in years.

Thank you all for your responses!

It is possible for the embassy to know because he has to give them his passport at the interview. So of course they will know he went there if his passport is stamped going into or out of Syria. I suggest that Lebanon be a better choice overall.

48 minutes ago, toothpicks said:

Can I ask how they could find out he had visited Syria?

I thought one of the forms for the consulate asks about countries you've visited. I cannot really remember.

Also, they do plenty of background checks before the interview. Knowing where you've been is pretty simple to find out. Plus, they always ask for all your previous passports for the interviews so they can check visa stamps.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

if he goes to syria he will be in background checks.. especially if he is a male.. and especially if he is under 35.  why would u have him go to a country where it would make your wait an extra 1-2 years? of course they will find out, that is what background checks/stamps are for!  

i suggest you have him visit another country or have him go and just be prepared for a long wait on the K1. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, caliliving said:

if he goes to syria he will be in background checks.. especially if he is a male.. and especially if he is under 35.  why would u have him go to a country where it would make your wait an extra 1-2 years? of course they will find out, that is what background checks/stamps are for!  

i suggest you have him visit another country or have him go and just be prepared for a long wait on the K1. 

Trust me, I've been trying really hard to convince him otherwise, but I'm sure you can understand why not going is still a difficult decision to make :(

We will look into alternative options. Thank you.

Filed: Timeline

Not a great idea, whats the big hurry to go although you have family there (CBP will think)

its an hornets nest right now , very unsafe, but its home and rightfully you can but you may

be held up with renewed vetting. You should wait until you are  naturalized the way things

are looking

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I am also Syrian lives in Lebanon. I had my interview 7 weeks ago, the very first thing they ask when you are giving them your papers, is where have you been the last 5-10 years. Which countries you have visited? and a direct question, when have you visited Syria last time? Even I lived in Lebanon for the past 7 years yet I go to Syria almost every month. Well, since my interview I was put on Administrative processing and no answer from them since then. 

I have been 3 times to the united states and all my backgrounds are clear, I found on the website that I didn't get AP because I travel to Syria, but mainly all Syrians, and other banned countries will get it for more investigations. 

Best of Luck 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.