ahmadka

Questions regarding H-1B and H4 ...

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone, I had a few questions to ask regarding H-1B and H-4 Visas. My situation is as follows: I'm currently in the US (not yet married) and my H-1B application was picked in this year's H-1B lottery, and so is currently under processing (Change of Status). I'm also planning to get married in October this year back in home country. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Assuming my H-1B Change of Status is approved and I go home to get H-1B stamped, how long will this stamping usually take if my profile is clean (no criminal record, etc.) ?

2) How soon after getting my H-1B stamped can my future wife start her H-4 Visa application ?

3) How long do H-4 visa applications usually take for someone who has never been to the US ?

Thanks in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

AP is the biggest variable and that is an unknown.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

20 hours ago, ahmadka said:

1) Assuming my H-1B Change of Status is approved and I go home to get H-1B stamped, how long will this stamping usually take if my profile is clean (no criminal record, etc.) ?

This depends on your country. It varies on how many appointments they have available, how long they get your passport back, etc. For instance, in my country it takes like 4 days to pay the fee because the bank processing is extremely low, so in the 5th day you can make the appointment. The deal is that you cannot make the appointment from the U.S. because the form you have to fill in asks for your i-94 number. 

Anyway, try to find out about your consulate timings. Otherwise, I would plan for 20 days and maybe even get an open ticket in case you have to change the departure date.

20 hours ago, ahmadka said:

2) How soon after getting my H-1B stamped can my future wife start her H-4 Visa application ?

3) How long do H-4 visa applications usually take for someone who has never been to the US ?

I don't think there is any waiting time. Technically, if you changed status in the U.S. you already have the H1-B. You are just missing the visa stamp. At least that is my understanding. 

I don't know how long it would take. Again, it depends on the consulate. Not having visited the U.S. should not delay the visa. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.