Tunisian_tunisia

Food stamps and I864 pls help ASAP

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

i have a question : Can the USC apply for food stamps and list the sponsored immigrant as one of the dependents? The worry is, because a sponsored immigrant  cannot receive food stamps, would this still apply if they are a dependent and not the applicant?

i just don't want to accidentaly break the law

my wife was eligible for food stamps but the stopped a month ago,they need infos update including my infos,and we don't want to get our co-sponsor accidentally sued by the government   for doing so 

6 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

i have a question : Can the USC apply for food stamps and list the sponsored immigrant as one of the dependents? The worry is, because a sponsored immigrant  cannot receive food stamps, would this still apply if they are a dependent and not the applicant?

i just don't want to accidentaly break the law

my wife was eligible for food stamps but the stopped a month ago,they need infos update including my infos,and we don't want to get our co-sponsor accidentally sued by the government   for doing so 

See here

In our case, we tried to apply for food stamps for my husband as he was unemployed. I was working. We were told quite bluntly that he would have to list me as his spouse on the application for aid (even though the aid would be just in his name and cover only one person) and that this would have an impact on the I-864 (we had a joint sponsor) and that the joint sponsor could be sued. Not a risk we wanted to take so we did not pursue an application for assistance. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
14 minutes ago, JFH said:

In our case, we tried to apply for food stamps for my husband as he was unemployed. I was working. We were told quite bluntly that he would have to list me as his spouse on the application for aid (even though the aid would be just in his name and cover only one person) and that this would have an impact on the I-864 (we had a joint sponsor) and that the joint sponsor could be sued. Not a risk we wanted to take so we did not pursue an application for assistance. 

im in the same exact situation, we have kids so that's why we r thinking about it

but we have been asked to list me on the application too and that's what we are nervous about still,as we have a co sponsor and we don't want to get him sued for this

My understanding is that food stamps are not a benefit that can influence I864 or immigration status.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge 

9 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

My understanding is that food stamps are not a benefit that can influence I864 or immigration status.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge 

No, you are wrong. Food stamps is included.

See this: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf

A quote from the link:

"What is the purpose of the affidavit of support?

The affidavit of support helps ensure that new immigrants will not need to rely on public benefits such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. If a person for whom you file an affidavit of support becomes a permanent resident and is later given certain public benefits, the agency that gave the benefits can require that you repay that money."

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

No, you are wrong. Food stamps is included.

See this: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf

A quote from the link:

"What is the purpose of the affidavit of support?

The affidavit of support helps ensure that new immigrants will not need to rely on public benefits such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families. If a person for whom you file an affidavit of support becomes a permanent resident and is later given certain public benefits, the agency that gave the benefits can require that you repay that money."

you are right, but the question is :

If there is a household member who is ineligible because of immigration status, are all household members automatically ineligible?

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

If there is a household member who is ineligible because of immigration status, are all household members automatically ineligible?

Short answer is no. Do not include the ineligible immigrant when applying, but you need to include their income if they have any.

5 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

On the thread I posted at the top, someone had a link. I found the newer link: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

No. State agencies must still determine eligibility for SNAP for any remaining household members who are seeking assistance. States may not deny an entire household just because a non-citizen member is ineligible due to his or her immigration status. The State agency must determine the eligibility and benefit level of the remaining household members in accordance with SNAP regulations at 7 CFR 273.11©. See Section VIII of this Guidance for additional information on the treatment of income and resources of ineligible household members.

---

I am guessing that in a house of 2 (1 USC + 1 non-USC), the household would be considered as a one person household?

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
1 minute ago, Umka36 said:

Short answer is no. Do not include the ineligible immigrant when applying, but you need to include their income if they have any.

i don't have any incomes yet,but i'm afraid of giving the agencie my infos on the application

1 minute ago, Coco8 said:

On the thread I posted at the top, someone had a link. I found the newer link: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility

No. State agencies must still determine eligibility for SNAP for any remaining household members who are seeking assistance. States may not deny an entire household just because a non-citizen member is ineligible due to his or her immigration status. The State agency must determine the eligibility and benefit level of the remaining household members in accordance with SNAP regulations at 7 CFR 273.11©. See Section VIII of this Guidance for additional information on the treatment of income and resources of ineligible household members.

i saw this but i wasn't sure of the source tho 

2 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

i saw this but i wasn't sure of the source tho 

The source is the US agency in charge of the food stamps.

6 minutes ago, Umka36 said:

I think the non-US citizen has to be listed as a household member, but it will not be considered when doing the calculation. I mean, if the non-US member is not listed, would not that be like lying?

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
Just now, Coco8 said:

The source is the US agency in charge of the food stamps.

okay thank you so much

so know if we wanna apply,if i give my infos on the application i should not be worried about anything happening to my co sponsor right ?

i mean it's safe to do so right ?

5 minutes ago, Tunisian_tunisia said:

okay thank you so much

so know if we wanna apply,if i give my infos on the application i should not be worried about anything happening to my co sponsor right ?

i mean it's safe to do so right ?

You can call your local office and ask them how to fill in the form.

When the USC lists you on the form, they will know you are not elegible. So they will do the calculations based on a household of 1 person (the USC) and all the income made by the USC and the non-USC. If she was elegible a month ago, she should be elegible now too because you said you are making no income. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

You can call your local office and ask them how to fill in the form.

When the USC lists you on the form, they will know you are not elegible. So they will do the calculations based on a household of 1 person (the USC) and all the income made by the USC and the non-USC. If she was elegible a month ago, she should be elegible now too because you said you are making no income. 

okay thank you so much,i really appreciate it

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

In my state, you list the non citizen's income but they can NOT be counted or listed on the household size to increase size/increase income limits to fall under, I think it is a state law. They will make a note of a non citizen in the home and that is is. I do not know how it works when the non citizen isn't working.

Edited by sparkles_

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.