FrankLu888

IR1- Question about CEAC Status - "Refused"

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.  Thank you guys for all the help and guidance you've provided.  Here's my story, and I'm wondering if anyone would know what is happening to my case and would have any suggestions/recommendations.  

I am a naturalized citizen from China, and I am currently petitioning my wife, from Taiwan, for an IR1 visa.  We met 12 years ago and got married 9 years ago.  My wife was staying in the US as an undocumented, so we knew that it would be more difficult for her to adjust her status.  We started the process in 2015.  Our I130 was approved, and then our I601a was approved earlier this year.  The file got transferred to NVC and then the Taiwan consular.  They scheduled an interview for her in early June, and my wife left the country for the first time in 23 years to interview at the consulate office.   

The interview went fine as far as we know.  The mood was generally pleasant, and the CO was very nice.  He asked about how we met, when did we get married, and how did my wife enter the US.  Then it took a bad turn that we failed our i864 and were served with a 221g notice.  We immediately contacted our lawyer and arranged my wife’s sister (with qualified income) to be a joint sponsor.  We submitted the joint I864 form within 3 days.  The CO contacted us to confirm the joint I864 on the next day (Friday).  On Monday, we received another call from the CO, requesting a personal statement from my wife (to include how did she enter the US, why did she enter the US, how did she live in the US, how did we meet, when did we get married, and how is our living situation now).  We submitted the personal statement on the next day and the CEAC was updated on the day of.  Throughout this time, the CEAC status has been Administrative Processing, it was updated on 6/13, 6/14, and 6/16.  Then it was silence. We checked on CEAC yesterday (6/22) and saw the status is now “REFUSED”.  We immediately emailed the CO to ask for further explanation.  We have not received a call or any email correspondences from the CO about this.  I contacted NVC this morning, and they said the case is still under Administrative Review.  The case was again last updated today with no further explanation.  Has anyone heard of this before? Does it mean the CO refused our Visa app?  I’ve been reading a lot on this site, and I’m getting mixed messages about the accuracy of the CEAC status.  Any thoughts on this?  I can’t think of any reason for the application to be denied.  We were granted the i601a waiver for her inadmissibility, and we had secure a joint sponsor with a six-figure income.  She has a clean record (not even a traffic ticket!).  We are both really freaked out at the moment. 

Thank you.   

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.