AZSunshine78

Prenup and Financial responsibility.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

does anyone know how a prenup affects the three years that the sponsor is financially responsible for the beneficiary?

I am very practical and have been married before and I'm thinking about a prenup. 

Does anyone know legally what  specifically the petitioner is responsible for as far as the beneficiaries finances once adjustment of status has been approved? 

If they get in a car accident or something am I responsible for paying the medical fees for the other person that they were in the accident with?

if he decides that he wants a divorce before the three years is up, am I responsible for him if he wants to get another house or an apartment?

The prenup is for divorce and how to divide assets. If you divorce, even with the prenup, you would be responsible as sponsor.  

I think the responsibility in terms of visa sponsorship are that the person cannot claim any medicare/medicaid benefits, unemployment, food stamps, etc. 

If he has a car accident, he cannot be a public charge. I think there is a grey area. He could get a bill and he could pay it himself if you are divorced; I don't think you are liable if he does not pay his bill. If he used Medicaid (which I don't think he could, but let's hypothesize), however, you would have to reimburse that because he is not allowed. 

As a sponsor, I don't think you'd be responsible for paying him rent. He can work and get his own place. That seems to be a private matter and not something for UCSIS to care about. However, check out this I found: It says that courts in different states have a different view of the sponsor's responsibilities so in some cases, even with prenup, you could be responsible for a sort of alimony, but not everywhere. 

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/divorcing-can-ex-spouse-support-me-under-form-864-affidavit.html

Anyway, I think the prenup is a good idea. 

PS: Because the sponsor responsibility ends when the person becomes a US citizen, from a practical standpoint everyone should have their partner become a US citizen as soon as they can. That would be 3 years from the time they get the green card.

Edited by Coco8
PS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, AZSunshine78 said:

does anyone know how a prenup affects the three years that the sponsor is financially responsible for the beneficiary?

It can be more than three years. See the I-864 form you sign prior to adjustment of status.

When Will These Obligations End?

Your obligations under a Form I-864 that you signed will end if the person who becomes a lawful permanent resident based on that affidavit:

A. Becomes a U.S. citizen;
B. Has worked, or can receive credit for, 40 quarters of

coverage under the Social Security Act;

C. No longer has lawful permanent resident status and has departed the United States;

D. Is subject to removal, but applies for and obtains, in removal proceedings, a new grant of adjustment of status, based on a new affidavit of support, if one is required; or

E. Dies.
NOTE: Divorce does not terminate your obligations under Form I-864.

Your obligations under a Form I-864 that you signed also end if you die. Therefore, if you die, your estate is not required to take responsibility for the person's support after your death. However, your estate may owe any support that you accumulated before you died. 

7 hours ago, AZSunshine78 said:

I am very practical and have been married before and I'm thinking about a prenup. 

Does anyone know legally what  specifically the petitioner is responsible for as far as the beneficiaries finances once adjustment of status has been approved? 

If they get in a car accident or something am I responsible for paying the medical fees for the other person that they were in the accident with?

if he decides that he wants a divorce before the three years is up, am I responsible for him if he wants to get another house or an apartment?

A prenup has nothing to do with the responsibility of sponsor once you sign the I-134 and/or I-864. The prenup simply protects each spouse of their own assets, property and so forth when it comes a divorce; depending on how the prenup is stipulated. The I-864 is a US government document or contract that is made between the petitioner/sponsor and the government which is you agree to not let the beneficiary become a public charge to the U.S. government (i.e. welfare, and other social service assistance).

While a prenup is a good idea to protect oneself financial future, at times, a prenup does not take away the responsibility of alimony depending on the circumstance of the divorce. Either way, if the divorce ends in a civil and mutual manner, it does not wipe away the responsibility of the petitioner/sponsor should the beneficiary become a public charge. 

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

Timeline
2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

It can be more than three years. See the I-864 form you sign prior to adjustment of status.

When Will These Obligations End?

Your obligations under a Form I-864 that you signed will end if the person who becomes a lawful permanent resident based on that affidavit:

A. Becomes a U.S. citizen;
B. Has worked, or can receive credit for, 40 quarters of

coverage under the Social Security Act;

C. No longer has lawful permanent resident status and has departed the United States;

D. Is subject to removal, but applies for and obtains, in removal proceedings, a new grant of adjustment of status, based on a new affidavit of support, if one is required; or

E. Dies.
NOTE: Divorce does not terminate your obligations under Form I-864.

Your obligations under a Form I-864 that you signed also end if you die. Therefore, if you die, your estate is not required to take responsibility for the person's support after your death. However, your estate may owe any support that you accumulated before you died. 

I went through and read the entire document. Thank you for bringing my attention to this.

I also read that the beneficiary can draw up a document, a legal one, stating that he will not take advantage of the petitioners  responsibility financially.

That due to matters of divorce, or the inability to find employment, the beneficiary acknowledges that it will be his or her responsibility to support himself should divorce or unemployment occur.

It is not recognized by every court but in my state, it happens to be.

Has anyone at all, drawn up any type of documentation between the petitioner and the beneficiary that relates to this? 

I want to thank everyone for and put on the subject. 

Edited by AZSunshine78
Correction

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am sure it has been tried, whether any particular format would hold water would eventually be down to the Courts to decide.

Obviously a pre nup is not a DIY situation, both parties need competent legal advice. 

As others have stated the agreement is primarily between the Sponsor and the US Gov so a pre nup is in most cases irrelevant. There are a few cases where the person sponsored has sought benefit and sued under Federal law and there are Lawyers that advertising their services to assist such people.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration, from K1 P&P - As this is not a K1 processing question, but whether a prenup offers protection with the I-864~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I 864

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Please note however that the I864 is rarely enforced and if enforced is only done so if the person has no means of supporting themselves. If you both are working, are self sufficient and either of you want a divorce the I864 isnt a way to squeeze even more money out of you. The only legal squeezing will be via the divorce settlement NOT via the I864.

Timeline
1 hour ago, jakartausa said:

Please note however that the I864 is rarely enforced and if enforced is only done so if the person has no means of supporting themselves. If you both are working, are self sufficient and either of you want a divorce the I864 isnt a way to squeeze even more money out of you. The only legal squeezing will be via the divorce settlement NOT via the I864.

Thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband and I have a prenup, which protects assets owned before the marriage as well as assets during the marriage. I think a prenup is important when one person enters the marriage with considerably more assets than the other and especially when you're in a community property state.  

The I-864 has nothing to do with financial

support to your spouse, it's basically a way for the federal government to protect themselves from new immigrants using social benefits they haven't really paid for yet. With that said, if you're in a community property state, you do have a legal obligation to financially support your spouse including equal responsibility for debt. So yes, you do have to financially support your spouse if he requires it. That's called marriage, although in community property states, it's also written in the law. :) 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

Suing in Federal Court has happened, not often but it is possible.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, Boiler said:

I 864

Thank you. I swore I saw the 8 there before I hit post :)

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

How do you edit after such a long time has passed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.