78 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Forgot to add this.. Just because you have a lawyer helping you, doesn't mean you're safe. Always verify that your lawyer has sent in all required documentation and follows the same advice as posted here..   

==

REMINDER:  Make sure you include everything that is on your welcome letter and review your embassy's website to make sure nothing additional is needed to be included in your NVC file. 

Edited by JBMG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
20 hours ago, JBMG said:

Avoid getting a checklist. Here are the most common reasons why people get a checklist. 

FIRST off, the NVC does not receive your documents from the USCIS. The only documents they review are the ones you send them. And the VERSION of documents you sent to the USCIS, may not acceptable at the NVC. VERY important, check the US embassy website in your country to see if you can get a detailed list of the versions of the documents you must need. Normally their list will tell you the version you need. Make sure you include everything that is required (applicable to you) from your NVC welcome letter. 

Here is a list of the most common reasons why the NVC delays cases asking for new documentation to be sent to them.. Delaying the processing for another  8-11 weeks! 

THE NVC loses your documents: 

Make sure you write your CASE number on EVERY copy, including your AOS/i-864 form.. TIP:  Buy a stamp and stamp each copy..  Or print out the applicant's case number/name on a label sheet, then cut and stick on each copy.

Use the correct version of each document: Verify the version you need with the US embassy you're having an interview at. If copies are not in the embassy accepted language, have them translated. But send the copies of the original with it. 

AOS/i-864: Write None and N/A on any empty field.. You can't do this via the computer.. Have to handwrite this. Include EVERY page, and sign it. Even if there is nothing on the page, you include it and write None and N/A on every empty field. 

Police and Court Records

If you lived in any country more than 6 months, you have to request and police report from that country.. If you have any court records, you have to request those too. 

The following are commonly lost, missing, or the correct version wasn't sent in originally. 

Police records/Police clearance

Court records

Birth certificate

Marriage certificate 

Landing Papers 

Proof of residency. For example, you're from Portugal but living in Canada. You need to send the NVC your canadian proof of residency and landing papers. 

Tax Transcripts, W2 Forms, 1099 forms. If you don't have a w2, and tax transcripts explain why you don't have them in a letter.

Divorce records

Here is a list of real checklists from Feb/March/April cases.. Don't let this happen to you. 

=======

Asked for proof of canadian residence (PR card) which was already submitted with I-130 and mailed document to NVC on June 12th. Also assessment for W2 form which I can take in Interview.
Court record
Incorrect BC and police report
Affidavit of Support form and supporting financial documents
Photocopy of original birth certificate
Missing Birth Certificate
Wrong birth certificate
missing i-i-864a (household member)
They say we are missing Birth Cert and Police Cert but we sent them.
Missing police record
NVC could not accept our police certificate-apparently they lost 2 pages of it
Birth certificate
1st checklist 12/07/17 . correct info in AOS : in the application in sponsor's household size i filled the box #3 instead of #1.
2nd checklist 02/11/17 only sent corrected pages. Didn't know that i had to send all 12 pages again . my latest scan date was 02/15/17
I-864, some places left blank.
They said it was an incorrect birth certificate.
Checklist for a death certificate
Court Records
obsolete AOS form
Incorrect birth certificate. Needs to be one with parents names
Incorrect Marriage Certificate
Financial documents (standard as we are using assets). Also said we had incorrect birth certificate. When I called to clarify, turned out it was incorrect police certificate.
Missing ppc
Marriage Certificate and Police Certificate
Computer generated birth certificate
Police report , w2 from my sponsor
PCC and W2 form
requested missing Nigeria police clearance

=====

Don't hesitate to add to the list. :) Complete this Checklist Survey . 

To see all the results, click on the following:

Checklist Responses

Thank you for your time in filling out the survey, with your help, this will hopefully help others who are about to submit their file to the NVC. And possibly help the NVC improve their instructions to reduce the amount of cases receiving a checklist. 

Thank you, 

JBMG

I got a checklist because I submitted the wrong Police certificate for my husband. Will it take another 11 weeks for NVC to review the one document they requested?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KaurN said:

I got a checklist because I submitted the wrong Police certificate for my husband. Will it take another 11 weeks for NVC to review the one document they requested?

Yes.. Unfortunately..  It's up to 11 weeks.. 

Please complete this Checklist Survey . 

Checklist Responses

Thank you for your time in filling out the survey, with your help, this will hopefully help others who are about to submit their file to the NVC. And possibly help the NVC improve their instructions to reduce the amount of cases receiving a checklist. 

Timeline
Just now, JBMG said:

Yes.. Unfortunately..  It's up to 11 weeks.. 

Please complete this Checklist Survey . 

Checklist Responses

Would requesting to speak to a supervisor help? Im pregnant right now and dont want my husband to miss the birth of our child 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, KaurN said:

Would requesting to speak to a supervisor help? Im pregnant right now and dont want my husband to miss the birth of our child 

Are you in the US or India? 

7 minutes ago, KaurN said:

Im in the US my husband is in India?

Unfortunately. pregnancy is not a reason for expedite or faster processing.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline
Just now, Dutchster said:

Unfortunately. pregnancy is not a reason for expedite or faster processing.

Yes I am aware of that. Im just wondering if talking a supervisor can help in any way because based on the 11 week processing time my husband would miss my delivery 😞

Timeline
14 minutes ago, KaurN said:

Yes I am aware of that. Im just wondering if talking a supervisor can help in any way because based on the 11 week processing time my husband would miss my delivery 😞

Yes, you can always try. My suggestion is to wait until they receive the document.. Then ask to have a supervisor contact you. Meanwhile, you can always ask to expedite your interview date.. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to NVC forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 6/15/2017 at 0:46 AM, JBMG said:

Avoid getting a checklist. Here are the most common reasons why people get a checklist. 

FIRST off, the NVC does not receive your documents from the USCIS. The only documents they review are the ones you send them. And the VERSION of documents you sent to the USCIS, may not acceptable at the NVC. VERY important, check the US embassy website in your country to see if you can get a detailed list of the versions of the documents you must need. Normally their list will tell you the version you need. Make sure you include everything that is required (applicable to you) from your NVC welcome letter. 

Here is a list of the most common reasons why the NVC delays cases asking for new documentation to be sent to them.. Delaying the processing for another  8-11 weeks! 

THE NVC loses your documents: 

Make sure you write your CASE number on EVERY copy, including your AOS/i-864 form.. TIP:  Buy a stamp and stamp each copy..  Or print out the applicant's case number/name on a label sheet, then cut and stick on each copy.

Use the correct version of each document: Verify the version you need with the US embassy you're having an interview at. If copies are not in the embassy accepted language, have them translated. But send the copies of the original with it. 

AOS/i-864: Write None and N/A on any empty field.. You can't do this via the computer.. Have to handwrite this. Include EVERY page, and sign it. Even if there is nothing on the page, you include it and write None and N/A on every empty field. 

Police and Court Records

If you lived in any country more than 6 months, you have to request and police report from that country.. If you have any court records, you have to request those too. 

The following are commonly lost, missing, or the correct version wasn't sent in originally. 

Police records/Police clearance

Court records

Birth certificate

Marriage certificate 

Landing Papers 

Proof of residency. For example, you're from Portugal but living in Canada. You need to send the NVC your canadian proof of residency and landing papers. 

Tax Transcripts, W2 Forms, 1099 forms. If you don't have a w2, and tax transcripts explain why you don't have them in a letter.

Divorce records

Here is a list of real checklists from Feb/March/April cases.. Don't let this happen to you. 

=======

Asked for proof of canadian residence (PR card) which was already submitted with I-130 and mailed document to NVC on June 12th. Also assessment for W2 form which I can take in Interview.
Court record
Incorrect BC and police report
Affidavit of Support form and supporting financial documents
Photocopy of original birth certificate
Missing Birth Certificate
Wrong birth certificate
missing i-i-864a (household member)
They say we are missing Birth Cert and Police Cert but we sent them.
Missing police record
NVC could not accept our police certificate-apparently they lost 2 pages of it
Birth certificate
1st checklist 12/07/17 . correct info in AOS : in the application in sponsor's household size i filled the box #3 instead of #1.
2nd checklist 02/11/17 only sent corrected pages. Didn't know that i had to send all 12 pages again . my latest scan date was 02/15/17
I-864, some places left blank.
They said it was an incorrect birth certificate.
Checklist for a death certificate
Court Records
obsolete AOS form
Incorrect birth certificate. Needs to be one with parents names
Incorrect Marriage Certificate
Financial documents (standard as we are using assets). Also said we had incorrect birth certificate. When I called to clarify, turned out it was incorrect police certificate.
Missing ppc
Marriage Certificate and Police Certificate
Computer generated birth certificate
Police report , w2 from my sponsor
PCC and W2 form
requested missing Nigeria police clearance

=====

Don't hesitate to add to the list. :) Complete this Checklist Survey . 

Checklist Responses

Thank you, 

JBMG

VM appreciating the effort you put in this. It's amazing what you made here.

I have a question:

The AMS embassy asks for proof of relation. I would show when I get there. Do I have to add the same to NVC package, you are sort of warning for in additional post? I read on NVC site you don't need to if you're filing I-864 and all other I-864# versions, except for I-864A. Thanks for your attention.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Florence & Jos said:

VM appreciating the effort you put in this. It's amazing what you made here.

I have a question:

The AMS embassy asks for proof of relation. I would show when I get there. Do I have to add the same to NVC package, you are sort of warning for in additional post? I read on NVC site you don't need to if you're filing I-864 and all other I-864# versions, except for I-864A. Thanks for your attention.

Normally no, you don't need to prove a bonafide relationship to the NVC.. As you've already done this at the USCIS stage..  But i think i too read something that you do have to provide proof or relationship for the i-864a.. But i can't recall.. As i didn't use that form.. 

WE did not submit with our NVC file but we're still waiting for a CC. We will be bringing everything we submitted to the USCIS with us to the interview.  Including adding recent photos for proof of a bonafide relationship.. 

For now, My suggestion is to also post your question on the following forum. :)  Here you will find others who are also about to file with the NVC or already have.. 

Also, you can reach out to others from your country and ask them for advice..  You can search by your country at the following link. 

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/filterlist.php?cfl=

ps.. i'm a different visa class than you.. so maybe the NVC requires different information depending on the visa class. 

Edited by JBMG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
8 minutes ago, JBMG said:

Normally no, you don't need to prove a bonafide relationship to the NVC.. As you've already done this at the USCIS stage..  But i think i too read something that you do have to provide proof or relationship for the i-864a.. But i can't recall.. As i didn't use that form.. 

WE did not submit with our NVC file but we're still waiting for a CC. We will be bringing everything we submitted to the USCIS with us to the interview.  Including adding recent photos for proof of a bonafide relationship.. 

For now, My suggestion is to also post your question on the following forum. :)  Here you will find others who are also about to file with the NVC or already have.. 

Also, you can reach out to others from your country and ask them for advice..  You can search by your country at the following link. 

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/filterlist.php?cfl=

ps.. i'm a different visa class than you.. so maybe the NVC requires different information depending on the visa class. 

Thanks again for all your information, I will supply as soon as CHECKLIST or CC from NVC.

You know you are still within 11 weeks to get followup from NVC.

We are working on NVC package. Unpleasantly surprised I have to bring in certified copies for interview, after filing for I-130 where we did bring them already. Shame on me... I was all over the internet for information, not good enough though.

And... about police report and military records. Did not expect them asking those now, we were of opinion it could last till interview... They would expire, we said.

We 'll be on track with one more week. Florence didn't file for taxes ever... She's under limits to file. We'll show evidence... and probably have a quick tax return done for 2016 online. She's not there yet... :rolleyes: She will call NVC whether she needs to do so. Where do questions for evidence end? It depends on the officer, right!?

DS-260 is ready to submit, we'll do so as soon we completed all the papers for this package.

You're making a difference with what you do for all of us! :thumbs:Good Luck with your case! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.