Colbert Report

Is it better for a US citizen to marry their fiance in the USA?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My buddy was born in Los Angeles, is a US citizen and has a US passport.  He has lived for most of his life in Canada and will be getting married in Canada in the fall.  He's considering moving to the USA and bringing his fiancé with him.  Obviously he can come and work in the US if he wants with no hassle as he is a citizen, but what would the best plan be for his wife?  He'd like to sponsor her to be able to come and live and work with him when and if he does decide to move there.  Should they get married in a civil ceremony before the big wedding in front of their family and friends in Canada later this year?  Does it make any difference?

2 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

If he is already planning to get married this falll, then a fiances visa K1 , which would have them enter the US before marrying, and marry in the US within 90 days, will not work as there is not enough time to get through  the process.

The only option is CR1... marry in Canada whenever, apply for spouse visa after that.. Time line is around 12 months before the spouse can immigrate. Cr1 allows the spouse to work as as soon as they arrive in the US. CR 1 requires financial support documentation and USC domicile in the US, so that would need to be considered. She can travel to visit in the US while it is beong processed, but cannot live here until the visa is franted. 

If postponing the wedding was a possibility, K 1 fiance visa would have her in the US in around 6 months, but it would be 4 to 6 months  after that.. depending on when they married and submitted the next step of documentation.. Adjustment of Status.... before she could work or travel ourside the US. The wedding must occur within 90 days of entry, and in the US

She is not allowed to work without the work permit which can take 3 to 4 months to process after submitting the documents to USCIS ( related to the K1 visa)

I  would suggest to apply for the CR1 visa too.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

If they marry in Canada she can apply for a CR-1 visa, it takes 12-14 months to process. Once she has that they can both move to the U.S. together. They will have to find a U.S. sponsor (financial) for their visa application. 

CR-1 is cheaper than a K-1 (fiance) visa. Also, if they want to marry in Canada then K-1 is not an option because it requires that you get married in the U.S. 

CR1 is the best bet if your friend wants his wife to be able to work upon arrival, and if they actually already have wedding plans.

The biggest potential issues all derive from the fact that he has "lived in Canada most of his life."

Depending on how long he's actually been away, it is possible that he might not qualify to petition without moving to the US first. 

1. A US Citizen must be "domiciled" in the US to qualify to sponsor a spouse. Domicile is a slippery term, but the US Embassy in Canada is pretty picky about it. If he can't prove "significant ties" to the US, and that his residence in Canada was intended to be temporary, he will have to move back to the US and establish domicile there (job, place to live, registered to vote, bank accounts, etc) before he qualifies to petition his wife. (And she can't come with him when he does that)
  2. Even if he can prove that his being in Canada was intended to be temporary and he has "significant ties," he still won't be able to sponsor her by himself (unless he happens to be employed by a US company and paid in US$) He will need a joint sponsor to come up to the financial requirement for sponsorship, as foreign earned income doesn't count.
  3. He must be up to date on his US taxes
Edited by nightingalejules

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from K1 to What Visa Do I Need forum *****

Everyone has given you good advice.  One other thing to keep in mind is that there is no "in case I want to move" visa; he needs to be sure they will be moving, because visas expire in 6 months or less from issuance, and if they don't immigrate to the USA during that time, they need to start from the beginning, pay the fees again, wait again etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.