mcdull

Filing N400 online, anyone?

1,046 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, mcdull said:

The qualification criteria are pretty self-explanatory. If you are eligible to file as of the 12 of June, then try again today.

I already did yesterday as of June 12th. Based on the questions I answered, it said that I am not eligible to file online. I think you misunderstood my question. What are the qualification criteria for you to apply for N-400 online

----

6/12/2016 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions

----

ROC

Spoiler

6/20/2016 (Day 0) - ROC Package (i-761) sent via USPS Priority Mail

6/21/2016 (Day 1) - ROC Package delivered at CSC Laguna Niguel & signed for by J Siplivy

6/28/2016 (Day 8) - Check cashed and NOA dated 6/21/2016 received in the mail

7/18/2016 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment done at Santa Ana ASC

2/28/2017 (Day 254) - Spouse received call from immigration officer verifying if we still lived together at our current address. He ended the conversation by saying we our approved and no need for interview

3/3/2017 (Day 257) - Received approval letter in the mail! 

3/13/2017 (Day 267) - Online status updated - new card being produced

3/16/2017 (Day 270) - Online status updated - new card was mailed to me

3/20/2017 (Day 274) - 10 year green card on hand!! 

----

6/12/2017 - Eligible for Citizenship

----

N-400

6/13/2017 - N-400 package sent via USPS Priority Mail Express

6/16/2017 - N-400 fee cashed

6/19/2017 - NOA date - Priority date 6/15/17

6/30/2017 - Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail for 7/12/17

7/5/2017 - Walked in Tustin ASC for biometrics 

8/10/2017 - Case is in line for interview

1/22/2018 - N-400 interview date scheduled 

1/26/2018 - Received N-400 interview letter in the mail! Interview scheduled on Feb. 28 

2/28/2018 - Naturalization interview - recommended for approval! :)

3/20/2018 - Oath taking ceremony :dance:

2 hours ago, SamBillz said:

Since yesterday, I have been getting an error 500 intermittently when inputting information on the application. Is that normal?

Yes, this is what I experienced using Firefox back in February. Maybe try using Chrome or Edge? As you get to the end of the online application process, you will have the opportunity to review the data you have entered in each section to make sure it has been captured properly before submission however I found it difficult to delete some of the entries. After submission, you can print out the paper equivalent of the N-400 and check the results. It is possible it may have either missed or duplicated some of the information you have entered however my advice is not to worry about this and to fix it at the interview. At the interview the officer will review your answers to each section and any corrections can be made at that time. I took the paper version of my N-400 that I had printed from my online account to the interview and highlighted a few areas where I had questions so I didn't forget to discuss them with the officer.

As to a covering letter, as McDull pointed out, you can create a cover letter and simply upload it as part of the documentation you submit or as 'Other Evidence' that can be uploaded to your online account.

15 minutes ago, hellostranger57 said:

I already did yesterday as of June 12th. Based on the questions I answered, it said that I am not eligible to file online. I think you misunderstood my question. What are the qualification criteria for you to apply for N-400 online

I don't think that those criteria are published anywhere at this point. The USCIS has some sort of pre-selection criteria that their online questionnaire is intended to screen for, so if you answered them and it says you aren't eligible to apply online, then your only option is to apply using the paper N-400 forms.

3 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

I don't think that those criteria are published anywhere at this point. The USCIS has some sort of pre-selection criteria that their online questionnaire is intended to screen for, so if you answered them and it says you aren't eligible to apply online, then your only option is to apply using the paper N-400 forms.

So I played around with the questionnaire. Looks like you can't apply online if you are applying within 90 days prior to your legal permanent residence anniversary. So that explains it. Anyway, I sent my application today via mail. 

----

6/12/2016 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions

----

ROC

Spoiler

6/20/2016 (Day 0) - ROC Package (i-761) sent via USPS Priority Mail

6/21/2016 (Day 1) - ROC Package delivered at CSC Laguna Niguel & signed for by J Siplivy

6/28/2016 (Day 8) - Check cashed and NOA dated 6/21/2016 received in the mail

7/18/2016 (Day 28) - Biometrics appointment done at Santa Ana ASC

2/28/2017 (Day 254) - Spouse received call from immigration officer verifying if we still lived together at our current address. He ended the conversation by saying we our approved and no need for interview

3/3/2017 (Day 257) - Received approval letter in the mail! 

3/13/2017 (Day 267) - Online status updated - new card being produced

3/16/2017 (Day 270) - Online status updated - new card was mailed to me

3/20/2017 (Day 274) - 10 year green card on hand!! 

----

6/12/2017 - Eligible for Citizenship

----

N-400

6/13/2017 - N-400 package sent via USPS Priority Mail Express

6/16/2017 - N-400 fee cashed

6/19/2017 - NOA date - Priority date 6/15/17

6/30/2017 - Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail for 7/12/17

7/5/2017 - Walked in Tustin ASC for biometrics 

8/10/2017 - Case is in line for interview

1/22/2018 - N-400 interview date scheduled 

1/26/2018 - Received N-400 interview letter in the mail! Interview scheduled on Feb. 28 

2/28/2018 - Naturalization interview - recommended for approval! :)

3/20/2018 - Oath taking ceremony :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Just now, hellostranger57 said:

So I played around with the questionnaire. Looks like you can't apply online if you are applying within 90 days prior to your legal permanent residence anniversary. So that explains it. Anyway, I sent my application today via mail. 

that's odd. I am applying within 90 days, I answered the questions and was able to proceed. Paid the fee and was issued a case number, 

4 minutes ago, hellostranger57 said:

That could be the reason. In my case I had been in the US on a green card since May 2007, almost 10 years. And I had several years of L1 and H1 visas before that. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you're applying using the 90 day rule, then USCIS will 'hold' the application until the anniversary date, so the biometrics appointment may happen quite quickly but they delay putting you in line to schedule the interview until the anniversary has passed based on what I have read elsewhere.

However based on McDull's reply, they are also in the 90 day window, so there may be other issues such as your original nationality or field office. At this point, nobody knows.....

Edited by Texaco5

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

That could be the reason. In my case I had been in the US on a green card since May 2007, almost 10 years. And I had several years of L1 and H1 visas before that. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if you're applying using the 90 day rule, then USCIS will 'hold' the application until the anniversary date, so the biometrics appointment may happen quite quickly but they delay putting you in line to schedule the interview until the anniversary has passed based on what I have read elsewhere.

However based on McDull's reply, they are also in the 90 day window, so there may be other issues such as your original nationality or field office. At this point, nobody knows.....

Im applying under the 90 early filling, but it asks me if I am a US National, Am I?

Edited by lalaland

2 minutes ago, lalaland said:

Im applying under the 90 early filling, but it asks me if I am a US National, Am I?

To be a US national, you would need to have been born in America Samoa or the Swains Islands, so if you weren't born there, then the answer is No. Alternatively if you were born abroad and one or both of your parents was a US national, then you would be a US national.

http://www.***removed***/immigration/us-national.html

Edited by Texaco5

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

To be a US national, you would need to have been born in America Samoa or the Swains Islands, so if you weren't born there, then the answer is No. Alternatively if you were born abroad and one or both of your parents was a US national, then you would be a US national.

http://www.***removed***/immigration/us-national.html

its so weird that it asks me that isnt it?

i became a PR on october 12,2012, i want to apply july 15 this year, shouldnt i be able to?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
On 6/13/2017 at 4:25 PM, hellostranger57 said:

What sort of questions are on the questionnaire to determine eligibility to file online?

15 minutes ago, AK_2014 said:

What sort of questions are on the questionnaire to determine eligibility to file online?

If you click on the link below and then scroll to the top of the page and hit the 'Apply Now' button, it will take you through the questions to confirm whether you are eligible or not

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/us_citizen_through_naturalization#benefit-related-content-2

There is no commitment, so you can answer the questions without any obligation to continue with the application

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Texaco5 said:

If you click on the link below and then scroll to the top of the page and hit the 'Apply Now' button, it will take you through the questions to confirm whether you are eligible or not

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/us_citizen_through_naturalization#benefit-related-content-2

There is no commitment, so you can answer the questions without any obligation to continue with the application

Thanks -- when I do that, it asks me to make an account, and I don't want to do that yet. :-( Is there any way to find out some of the questions without having to make an account?

Just now, AK_2014 said:

Thanks -- when I do that, it asks me to make an account, and I don't want to do that yet. :-( Is there any way to find out some of the questions without having to make an account?

I'd set up the account as you can make the account with no obligation to submit the N-400. Setting up the account is free. After you make the account and answer the questions, if you are eligible, the online N-400 application form will be added to your online account and you can return later to the account and complete the application online. Or you can send one in by paper. Whichever you prefer.

53 minutes ago, AK_2014 said:

OK, I just logged into my account and here are the questions that it asks to establish eligibility:

1. Are one or both of your parents a US Citizen (Yes/No)

2. How Old are you? (18 or older/Under 18)

3. Are you a member of the US armed forces (Yes/No) - includes US Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and certain components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve.

4. Are you a lawful permanent resident? (Yes/No) - someone who has been granted legal permanent resident status in the United State laws under US immigration laws and normally has a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Card or referred to as a Green Card)

5. When did you become a Permanent Resident? (Before September 17, 2012/Between September 17 2012 and September 17 2014/Neither of these apply to me) - The date may be located on the front or back of your Permanent Resident Card depending on when the card was issued.

6. Have you left the US in the past 5 years (Yes/No) - (I think that this doesn't include business travel or vacation travel but it looking for long periods of absence from the US)

7. Have you moved in the past 3 months (Yes/No)

After I answered these questions, if indicated I may be eligible to apply for naturalization since I have been a lawful permanent resident for more than 5 years however your own circumstances and answers to these questions will determine whether you are eligible.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Texaco5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.