Desertrose9

Why did my fiances case got sent back to USCIS after his interview in Kabul?

128 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

This happens when the embassy feels like there's more about a case that needs to be investigated or looked into, the embassy won't make a decision but instead send it back to NVC. There's not much you can do about it, the case is dead now and you would have to refile. However, if you don't know the reason for why it was sent back then it won't help to refile as that issue might still be there and you'll get "denied" once again. Usually people recommend to get married and file CR-1 after a K-1 failure but like I said, if you don't know the reason for not getting approved the issue might still be an issue even if you file CR-1.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Scandi said:

This happens when the embassy feels like there's more about a case that needs to be investigated or looked into, the embassy won't make a decision but instead send it back to NVC. There's not much you can do about it, the case is dead now and you would have to refile. However, if you don't know the reason for why it was sent back then it won't help to refile as that issue might still be there and you'll get "denied" once again. Usually people recommend to get married and file CR-1 after a K-1 failure but like I said, if you don't know the reason for not getting approved the issue might still be an issue even if you file CR-1.

Thanks for the info i just had a consultation from my lawyer hes also recommended that i apply marriage instead of waiting 120 days to hear from them- So do u think theres any way of me finding out why i got denied?? In any other source? it doesnt make sense for me to get denied again if i reaply marriage visa and not k1 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

From what I have read , most of the time the reason why the visa gets sent back it's because they didn't believe the relationship was real . It could be many reasons why they didn't believe the relationship such as , age difference , might think you guys are related and just doing it for adjusting status , haven't seen each other too much , etc etc , also some countries are harder to grant  fiancé visa you might have to get married and sponsor him as a husband . 

Edited by Elsalove2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The age difference, while seemingly small, might have been a red flag because of the cultural norms, etc for that region. What about religion? Are there any major cultural differences like that? That seems to play a role sometimes in K-1 denials.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

OP- 

3 hours ago, Desertrose9 said:

Thanks for the info i just had a consultation from my lawyer hes also recommended that i apply marriage instead of waiting 120 days to hear from them- So do u think theres any way of me finding out why i got denied?? In any other source? it doesnt make sense for me to get denied again if i reaply marriage visa and not k1 

It would be of great benefit for you to know why the K-1 was sent back. Then you can load your CR-1 (if you decide that is the best option) to prevent another refusal.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ebunoluwa said:

Your timetable of your divorce and new relationship seems to be the red flag.

Some consulates consider it a fraud indicator when you quickly sponsor someone after a divorce even if you were separated.
You should have addressed that in a timeline letter for the consulate front loaded with your petition to USCIS.

No lawyer is needed. K1's can not be appealed. When REFUSED by the CO, it goes back via NVC to USCIS where it is purposely

expired. After 6 months you will receive a letter telling you case expired, and that you can file again.

Best option is to marry (third country if possible, carefully research which country allows you to marry within a few weeks, then file

a CR1 or marry in your fiance's country and meet his family (great evidence with photos that you interacted with his family).

You can do several things to find out the reason for refusal:
1. Email and ask.

2. Contact your senator and inquire through him the reason for refusal.

3. File a FOIA (takes a long time)

Looks like the reason is just "lack of bona fide relationship" the usual refusal and the CO didn't like something about your case

and refused to issue the visa. It happens. Chances are a lot better with a CR1. If a CR1 gets returned then you would have a

chance to respond to a USCIS NOID/NOIR request for a rebuttal but not with a K1. Sorry !

Time to accept the loss and move forward with a new petition, plan a wedding.

As to your confusion about refusal, denial and expiration, a CO can not deny a petition but only can refuse to issue a visa

and return it to USCIS. USCIS is the only agency that can deny a petition. HOWEVER, they no longer deny petitions for K1

due to a law suit about a decade ago. They now allow it to expire instead. It used to be that a denied petition for a K1

would carry a hard fraud marker (even if no fraud was committed ) and the law suit changed that to an expired petition without 

an automatic fraud marker. Doesn't make much sense but it is what it is.

Best wishes for your next petition.

Thank you for the detailed info! Now, My lawyer said that the best thing for me is to wait to see why inwas denied or refused before i rush and start another marriage case because chances are ill get denied again esp if i dont have the reason why. Do you really think its worth the 120 days wait or should i start a new petition? And i will definitely contact my congresswoman asap to find the reason btw how do i find the expiration date? 

19 hours ago, Desertrose9 said:

Hello, my fiancé had an interview in Kabul on May 9, 2017, they didnt issue him a visa but instead sent the physical case to the NVC, in which the processing recently finished from there. Then they sent it back to USICS on June 5th. Does anyone have any idea what this means ? Someone said they possibly denied him but they didnt say that in the letter or specified why? Anyway how is that possible? We did the paper work right and met twice in one year we are so depressed with all this processing and we are madly in love; its now 10 months and nothing.. so far. I spent a lot of money and My lawyer cant help me further--please please anyone id pray for u to help with any feed back God bless you all!🙏🏼

USCIS ISNT GOING TO SEND YOU THE RESON WHY YOUR CASE IS DINIED, THEY WILL SEND YOU A LETTER JUST SYING THAT YOUR CASE IS CLOSED BUT NO THE RESON.

I HAD A PREVIOUS K1 ON 2013, I WAS APPROVED ON 2014, I WAS PUT ON AP FOR LONG TIME, THEN I FINISH THE RELATIONSHIP WITH MY EX FIANCE NOW, AND THE CASE WAS SENT BACK ON MARCH 2016 TO NVC AND THEN TO USCIS.

THIS IS IS THE REQUEST THAT I GOT BECAUSE I WANTED KNOW WHAT HAPPENNED WITH MY CASE:

Dear XXXXXXXXXX:

On 05/12/2017 you, or the designated representative shown below, contacted us about your case.  Some of the key information given to us at that time was the following:

Caller indicated they are:
 -- Applicant or Petitioner

Attorney Name:
 -- Information not available

Case type:
 -- I129F

Filing date:
 -- 06/10/2013

Receipt #:
 -- EAC-XXXXXXXXXXX

Referral ID:
SRXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Beneficiary (if you filed for someone else):
 -- Information not available

The status of this service request is:

We have received your service request and researched the status of your case. On June 9, 2016, the Department of State sent us your case, Receipt Number EACXXXXXXXXX, for review. Cases of this type that are returned to us for review are automatically administratively closed.

The denial decision does not prevent you from filing any petition or application in the future. For further consideration regarding your denied case, you must file a new application with the proper fees and supporting documentation.

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

21 hours ago, Desertrose9 said:

Hello, my fiancé had an interview in Kabul on May 9, 2017, they didnt issue him a visa but instead sent the physical case to the NVC, in which the processing recently finished from there. Then they sent it back to USICS on June 5th. Does anyone have any idea what this means ? Someone said they possibly denied him but they didnt say that in the letter or specified why? Anyway how is that possible? We did the paper work right and met twice in one year we are so depressed with all this processing and we are madly in love; its now 10 months and nothing.. so far. I spent a lot of money and My lawyer cant help me further--please please anyone id pray for u to help with any feed back God bless you all!🙏🏼

My guess is that if you were still legally married when you filed it might have been concluded that you weren't technically eligible to file in the first place.  See item 1 in the instructions under "who may file."

What did you say under "marital status" in the petition?  The petition asks for a date the marriage ended.  What did you put as that date?

Edited by iwannaplay54

11 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

My guess is that if you were still legally married when you filed it might have been concluded that you weren't technically eligible to file in the first place.  See item 1 in the instructions under "who may file."

What did you say under "marital status" in the petition?  The petition asks for a date the marriage ended.  What did you put as that date?

Pfft nevermind.  Missed the edit opportunity but i'm going with the majority - this probably has something to do with the visit and divorce and filing dates and the CO just didnt like it.

@Ebunoluwa and @EandH0904 have provided some very excellent advice (not to say others haven't as well!). I wish I had more to add, but they covered all the major points.

The K-1 will be returned to USCIS and sit there to expire. This is to prevent a P6C1 marker being reviewed and potentially turning into a finding of fraud (which is difficult to overcome). They let the case expire and therefore you are free to refile or file for a CR-1/IR-1 visa.

The timeline you've provided likely raised concerns about the legitimacy of the relationship. I'm not implying anything here...just saying what they likely thought. The suggestion to get married and go for a CR-1/IR-1 visa is probably for the best. The extra face time and duration of the relationship should help. If you can be there for the interview as well (or give him your passport and wait outside if they don't allow you in the interview), that would help, too.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
2 hours ago, Desertrose9 said:

Thank you for the detailed info! Now, My lawyer said that the best thing for me is to wait to see why inwas denied or refused before i rush and start another marriage case because chances are ill get denied again esp if i dont have the reason why. Do you really think its worth the 120 days wait or should i start a new petition? And i will definitely contact my congresswoman asap to find the reason btw how do i find the expiration date? 

Making plans to marry and then actually making the trip, returning home all takes a while. Meanwhile you can try to get the reason through your senator which may happen within 30 days. Other than you pursuing the reason there will be no refusal reason or explanation send to you. 

I don't understand why your lawyer thinks you should wait the 120 days because you simply won't get a letter stating reasons. 

Not happening from USCIS. You can email the embassy and inquire why the visa was refused. 

Your lawyer or you can file a FOIA

which can take a while to hear back. If the reasons are due to your separation / divorce / new relationship issue then filing a new petition (with the final divorce decree of course ) will overcome that. If the reason was that the CO felt you or he isn't genuine about the relationship then that can be overcome with a quality front loaded petition which you should do anyway no matter what the reason. Visit more and stay longer and keep receipts from everything that puts you both in the same place at the same time. 

New photos with you and family. More phone logs and communication. 

If the reason was the appearance of misrepresentation or there was inconsistent data entered in the forms then you will have to overcome it  but you have to know what exactly

to overcome. 

So make your plans to travel and wait for the senator's reply or email from the embassy. Your lawyer could also email them it doesn't matter, they don't care in this situation about a lawyer.

Come back and post the reason if you find out and we go from there.

if they dig in their heels and won't tell you the reason then go and marry and if the next petition is also returned then USCIS WILL SEND you a NOID/NOIR with the REASONS and you submit evidence to rebut the CO's findings.  If USCIC is satisfied with your rebuttal they will reaffirm the CR1 petition and send it again to the embassy with recommendation to approve the visa, the reaffirmation process can take 1 - 2 years. I have given you the ( almost ) worst case scenario but my thoughts are you won't have a problem with your next CR1 petition.  I repeat k1's will have no second chance but will be expired and closed. Should you wait the 180 ( not 120 ) days for the USCIS letter ? No ! For what ? It won't contain the refusal reason. Should you wait for an answer from the senator ? Yes ! Should you wait for an answer for the email(s) you will send the embassy ? Yes ! Should you wait for FOIA ? I wouldn't because it takes a long time, that is up to you. Make plans, set the wedding date, build the relationship and take your time to get an excellent petition together addressing the elusive reasons. One step at a time. 

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
43 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If you can be there for the interview as well (or give him your passport and wait outside if they don't allow you in the interview), that would help, too.

In your experience  (and through your knowledge)......is the fiance (petitioner)  being at the interview beneficial? Is there a greater likelihood the visa will be granted (especially in what is considered a "higher fraud" country?

22 hours ago, Desertrose9 said:

Ur cass and my cass are same. ..nothing to do ...cr1 is good say everyone. .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.