komirra

Shipping immigration documents to Ghana from USA

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I need to ship my original marriage certificate and a few photos for my husbands interview June 19 in Accra Ghana. Has anyone ever mailed doucments over to Ghana? If so what is the best safest shipping option to use. Also how long does it usually take to get there?

Timeline

I've shipped documents and protein powder to my husband through usps.I've never had any problem with them. Once the package gets to Ghana , it was in Accra for almost two weeks before we received it but everything was in the box. They do not update the tracking through usps when it gets to Accra. You can try DHL , UPS and FedEx. But those were much more expensive. They've also cracked down on mail theft lately. My husband has sent things to me and I've sent things to him it usually takes 12-16 days. 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, myheart0628 said:

I've shipped documents and protein powder to my husband through usps.I've never had any problem with them. Once the package gets to Ghana , it was in Accra for almost two weeks before we received it but everything was in the box. They do not update the tracking through usps when it gets to Accra. You can try DHL , UPS and FedEx. But those were much more expensive. They've also cracked down on mail theft lately. My husband has sent things to me and I've sent things to him it usually takes 12-16 days. 

by that do you mean that it takes 12-16 days to get to Ghana, then sites in accra for 2 weeks ( so a total of about a month to recieve the item) or that it takes a total of about 12-16 days for your husband to recieve it (including wait time in accra. ) also, do you send it to a postal service for pick up, or can it be sent to a persons home? My husbadn is in madina. Also, if it doesn't come to the house, how would my husband be notified that it is there? Sorry for so many questions, but nervous about sending mail  internationally. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, komirra said:

by that do you mean that it takes 12-16 days to get to Ghana, then sites in accra for 2 weeks ( so a total of about a month to recieve the item) or that it takes a total of about 12-16 days for your husband to recieve it (including wait time in accra. ) also, do you send it to a postal service for pick up, or can it be sent to a persons home? My husbadn is in madina. Also, if it doesn't come to the house, how would my husband be notified that it is there? Sorry for so many questions, but nervous about sending mail  internationally. 

I meant that it takes 12-16 days total but it will take about a week to get to Accra from the U.S. and then the rest of the time it sits there until they give it to you. My husband went to the post office and they said they were sorting through the packages .

Timeline
14 hours ago, komirra said:

I need to ship my original marriage certificate and a few photos for my husbands interview June 19 in Accra Ghana. Has anyone ever mailed doucments over to Ghana? If so what is the best safest shipping option to use. Also how long does it usually take to get there?

Komirra, I just mailed a package to Ghana yesterday via USPS to family members.  The postal service could not guarantee a timeframe for when the package would arrive, so I suggest using Fedex or DHL.  I also have my marriage certificate and will be traveling to Ghana in time for my husband's interview. 

Edited by Essel

Timeline

I mailed my documents to my husband Fedex last Thursday and he said they called him today telling him his package arrived to the local FedEx office in Ghana and they will deliver it to him directly tomorrow.  When I sent it last Thursday, the FedEx office said he would receive it on Friday the 26th but it looks like he will get it sooner.

Timeline
1 minute ago, luviscoming1 said:

I mailed my documents to my husband Fedex last Thursday and he said they called him today telling him his package arrived to the local FedEx office in Ghana and they will deliver it to him directly tomorrow.  When I sent it last Thursday, the FedEx office said he would receive it on Friday the 26th but it looks like he will get it sooner.

Wow you can mail documents to Fedex office through USPS?? thats interesting

Timeline
33 minutes ago, komirra said:

When sending through USPS, where did you send it? obviously they can't deliver it to a house, so what builiding would it be sent to? 

P.O. Box at the Accra North post office 

Timeline
1 hour ago, komirra said:

When sending through USPS, where did you send it? obviously they can't deliver it to a house, so what builiding would it be sent to? 

I sent the package via USPS to my uncle's place of employment (an office building).

Timeline

USPS is a hit or miss...The AOS package I sent to my husband in 2015 is still sitting somewhere in Ghana.

USPS has no correspondence in Ghana. They can only track it until it leaves the shores of the US.

I would suggest DHL. They have office locations in Ghana so their personnel handle all packages so you will definitely get your package but you can never tell with USPS.

I used USPS a couple of times and my items got delivered so I got complacent and sent AOS package through them. I ended up re-sending the package through DHL.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

I used USPS Priority... 5 to 6 business days. I mailed the same documents you are sending plus some. It arrived when it said it would 6 days later. Tracking etc..cost me about $56 after taxes. Was very reliable and my husband is in the Western Region, not Accra; Takoradi to be precise... they put a slip in his post office box and he went to Main post office paid 7gh and received his package.. save your money, you can use USPS priority!! 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

USPS is a hit or miss...The AOS package I sent to my husband in 2015 is still sitting somewhere in Ghana.

USPS has no correspondence in Ghana. They can only track it until it leaves the shores of the US.

I would suggest DHL. They have office locations in Ghana so their personnel handle all packages so you will definitely get your package but you can never tell with USPS.

I used USPS a couple of times and my items got delivered so I got complacent and sent AOS package through them. I ended up re-sending the package through DHL.

Well, my package was tracked all the way to Ghana and after. Got the text messages right to my phone...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.