BooLeeNut

Returning to Home Country after GC activation

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi there, my husband has been approved for the DV and we are going to the US end of May.  I will follow him, he will stay to work but I will return to my home country after 9 days.

I need to settle work responsibilities (I am still working), sell apartment and make the final move in January 2018.  I will not have time to get strong ties within the initial 9 days.  

I would like to know:-

1) if I can return to my home country after only spending 9 days in the US;

2) can I stay outside the US (after activating the GC) for more than 6 months (7 months in my case - Jun 2017 to Jan 2018);

3) what proof can I show that I did not abandon my GC if i had no time to rent apartment, open accounts etc while i was in the US.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, EmilyW said:

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Open a bank account (takes an hour to do) and file your taxes.  When you return, make sure you return with a one way ticket.

Hi EmilyW,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Means, I can get back in even after being outside over 6 months?  I have read so much sources online and they seem to suggest that it's risky to go out right after activation and return over 6 months later.  I do have a lot to settle before I can make the final move.

There's no problem staying out longer than 6 months - just don't do it repeatedly. This is very common for DV winners who unlike family visas have not had years to get ready for the move! Like Emily, we stayed out much longer than 6 months.

and if your husband is staying in the US the whole time you can certainly use that to show ties!!

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

There's no problem staying out longer than 6 months - just don't do it repeatedly. This is very common for DV winners who unlike family visas have not had years to get ready for the move! Like Emily, we stayed out much longer than 6 months.

and if your husband is staying in the US the whole time you can certainly use that to show ties!!

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thank you for the assurance.  Just so many info out there, I get scared.  With ref to CBP Q& A excerpt below, does it apply to DV winners as well?  Appreciate your advise.  

Thank you.

What documents, identification, and paperwork does a Lawful Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Green Card holder need to travel internationally?

LPRs who are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101.

30 minutes ago, BooLeeNut said:

Hi SusieQQQ,

Thank you for the assurance.  Just so many info out there, I get scared.  With ref to CBP Q& A excerpt below, does it apply to DV winners as well?  Appreciate your advise.  

Thank you.

What documents, identification, and paperwork does a Lawful Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) Green Card holder need to travel internationally?

LPRs who are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101.

All LPRs are the same. The above technically means you get questioned more after 6 months out but honestly, it depends on the officer and your situation. Come back after 5 months but on a return ticket out again in 2 weeks, you'll get questioned brutally. Come back in after 8 months on a one way ticket having filed taxes and with your husband waiting for you - you'll satisfy them very easily. 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

All LPRs are the same. The above technically means you get questioned more after 6 months out but honestly, it depends on the officer and your situation. Come back after 5 months but on a return ticket out again in 2 weeks, you'll get questioned brutally. Come back in after 8 months on a one way ticket having filed taxes and with your husband waiting for you - you'll satisfy them very easily. 

Thanks again for the advice. :) 

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hi, 

this is something that concerns me as well.

I entered and activated my Visa on 01 of March 2017 but I came back to London again as I am starting a fixed term contract with an American Company in my field Which I strongly think its going to help me out with my job hunting in the US. I dont have ties to US yet but for sure I will be more than 180 days out of US before my final moving (end of January). I have planned everything to proceed with my relocation before one year which is the procedure or that has changed?

the reason why I am still working here is to save money and go the US with savings enough to support myself for the first 3 months and also buy a car! If I leave now I would not feel comfortable with the money I have.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Lisbeth

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Since you're planning on living and working in another country for an extended time, I would play it safe and apply for a reentry permit.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

• 1 month later...

Hello there, I am back from the US after activating my GC on June 1st. I have few more questions:-

-I managed to open a joint account with my husband.  Is that ok?  

-How do I file my taxes (as US resident) from my home country?  

-What other documents should I bring to show my ties to the US when I return in January?

Edited by BooLeeNut

45 minutes ago, BooLeeNut said:

Hello there, I am back from the US after activating my GC on June 1st. I have few more questions:-

-I managed to open a joint account with my husband.  Is that ok?  

-How do I file my taxes (as US resident) from my home country?  

-What other documents should I bring to show my ties to the US when I return in January?

If you're returning in January you will only need to file taxes after you get back.

i presume you're returning on a one way ticket when you go back? Can't really see what else you need.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.