Amber and Shawn

Nicknames in proof of relationship?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Concerned-

Will it be a problem that most of (almost all) of my social media account is all named a name i have given myself? lol 

This also includes signature. I given myself the name Amber and I don't use my birth name except for my Middle name in the back of it.

Just wondering if this would be an issue, or maybe they might think it all doesn't add up. My fiance knows my birth name but he always call me Amber in texts, voice and letters ect

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pengurii said:

Concerned-

Will it be a problem that most of (almost all) of my social media account is all named a name i have given myself? lol 

This also includes signature. I given myself the name Amber and I don't use my birth name except for my Middle name in the back of it.

Just wondering if this would be an issue, or maybe they might think it all doesn't add up. My fiance knows my birth name but he always call me Amber in texts, voice and letters ect

Will be a problem if your passport doesn't match your birth cert. Amber wil be your a.k.a. name. In my country it's required to include all names used, even a.k.a. and nicknames in the police clearance for the USEM interview.

Edited by K&M's Journey

Timeline

I don't understand. Amber is not on any of my documents birth cert passport or anything like that 

its just the name i always use on fb skype ect and in convos im usually called that instead of my real name. 

Do i need to include that in Other name used

I've seen some that says no only list Legal Names and some saying yes list the nickname im lil confused 

Edited by Pengurii

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a nickname that's completely different from my legal name entirely that I use pretty much everywhere, and I always use it in place of my first name. When applying for anything, if there was ever a nickname slot, I always put it in there, too. Here's an example snippet from I-751 on where it asks you for your legal name, and then any nicknames you're known by.

nickname.png

If the form never asks for a nickname, just put your legal name. With that said, say several years from now you decide to naturalize as a U.S. citizen, there's a field where you can request to legally change your name at the same time you become a citizen, if you so choose.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Timeline

I see so do i put Amber in Other name used in the Given name slot? 

I also do not use my family's name in my nickname and use my middle instead Amber Ling (Ling=Middle name) I dont need to note this down in the nickname part yea?

Edited by Pengurii

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, Pengurii said:

I see so do i put Amber in Other name used in the Given name slot? 

I also do not use my family's name in my nickname and use my middle instead Amber Ling (Ling=Middle name) I dont need to note this down in the nickname part yea?

Only if you want to, like for example the documents you want to submit to show your proof of relationship say "Amber" all over it, then you'd want to write that down there, but it's ultimately up to you, the fields are optional. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.