8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi everyone , first able my English isn't enough to explain my situation %100 but I'll try to do my best .

I came to USA in 2015 to learn English , i just tried my chance and won green card lottery a year ago .

I couldn't  go to lawyer cause I'm student here and it's too expensive for a student ..

I sent my ds260 (online ), then i paid my fee ($330), then they put the stamp (paid) on this paper and sent me back on December 2016..

I've been still waiting for next steep (even i don't know what's the next one) but nothing happened .

I'm also scared if I can't get this card in 4 months i guess I'll loose my chance..

My case number is 20.*** for Europe category. It's current right now. (Also I don't know what that means)

Should I wait more ? or go to immigration center ? ( I tried to call them couple times they didn't answer my questions)

Can anyone help me what to do ? Please , really i need that help

To clarify: are you still in the US? (I assume so). If so: Have you sent in your AOS paperwork now that your case is current?

Now: you don't need a lawyer, but you need this - the expert on AOS from DV. Make sure you read the first post and attached spreadsheet thoroughly. http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
8 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

To clarify: are you still in the US? (I assume so). If so: Have you sent in your AOS paperwork now that your case is current?

Now: you don't need a lawyer, but you need this - the expert on AOS from DV. Make sure you read the first post and attached spreadsheet thoroughly. http://forums.immigration.com/threads/dv-2017-aos-only.331328/

yes im still in the US, i haven't sent my AOS , and yes my case number is current ,, they have to send me AOS paperwork ? or i should find it and send to them ? by the way i checked the post that you sent me (its really hard to understand it )

1 hour ago, muratilik said:

yes im still in the US, i haven't sent my AOS , and yes my case number is current ,, they have to send me AOS paperwork ? or i should find it and send to them ? by the way i checked the post that you sent me (its really hard to understand it )

Ok, so you really need to move on your case. They don't send you paperwork - it is up to YOU to file for adjustment of status, and make sure the forms are filled in correctly, and that all applicable supporting documents are included with the package (including the receipt for the $330 you paid and the medical forms). I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand about the spreadsheet, I realize if it's unfamiliar you may need to take some time reading it properly to ensure you understand it but you need to do this properly if you want a green card. Each tab on top takes you through in a very detailed way what you need to do to get your green card. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline

It's your job to pursue the case.  USCIS is not going to send you an I-485.

You have a short window to correctly file for AOS.  If you don't know what you are doing, then hire a lawyer.   You don't want to blow your chance at a green card because you don't know what you are doing and didn't hire a lawyer.

9 minutes ago, Jojo92122 said:

It's your job to pursue the case.  USCIS is not going to send you an I-485.

You have a short window to correctly file for AOS.  If you don't know what you are doing, then hire a lawyer.   You don't want to blow your chance at a green card because you don't know what you are doing and didn't hire a lawyer.

I'm not sure that in this case that's the best advice. DV AOS is only a couple thousand (if even that much) cases each year so many immigration lawyers no matter how experienced have never done it, and I've heard a number of cases of people paying hundreds/thousand of dollars for lawyers to screw up their cases not realizing how different it is from normal AOS . Honestly, that link I posted has all he needs to know (and resident expert on that forum). 

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I'm not sure that in this case that's the best advice. DV AOS is only a couple thousand (if even that much) cases each year so many immigration lawyers no matter how experienced have never done it, and I've heard a number of cases of people paying hundreds/thousand of dollars for lawyers to screw up their cases not realizing how different it is from normal AOS . Honestly, that link I posted has all he needs to know (and resident expert on that forum). 

An immigration lawyer should be very familiar with how to file an AOS.  Filing for AOS based on the DV lottery is different from other AOS filings.

I suggested a lawyer since the OP seems very lost.

2 hours ago, Jojo92122 said:

An immigration lawyer should be very familiar with how to file an AOS.  Filing for AOS based on the DV lottery is different from other AOS filings.

I suggested a lawyer since the OP seems very lost.

Unfortunately many lawyers get lost with DV too as they don't take proper account of the differences to normal AOS. It's not helped by the fact that some uscis FOs are equally unfamiliar with DV-based AOS. The most common mistake both of them make is to not take account of the timing difference vs normal AOS.

All the support he needs is in that link. Or, he could spend money he doesn't have on a lawyer who may not know what he or she is doing as another option. I get that a lawyer is normally a good suggestion for a bewildered applicant, but I've see too many reports of lawyers screwing up DV based AOS to ever want to make that a first line recommendation. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.