Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On 5/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, K & V said:

I've been hearing from my friend, who has a filipina wife, that his immigration attorney has been telling him horror stories where people have been having difficulties getting back into the country. His Attorney advise him not to travel anywhere until his wife receives her 10 year green card. They even had a trip planned to visit the philippines which they had to cancel. From what I've gathered all of the horror stories appear to be hearsay without any hard reports. I haven't seen or heard anything in the news about people in the middle of ROC having trouble re-entering the country. 

My advise, have your Expired GC, NOA, and passport all on hand and be prepared to educate some officials just in case.

Horror stores, whether, under PRESIDENT Trump tend to mostly be just Halloween Fireside Horror stories...we have no idea what crimes or tax evasion those people were barred from entry or whats on their record...of course everyone is 'innocent'

I travelled from Venice to Philadephia yesterday, using my expired green card and extension letter for the first time. Interestingly, and somewhat surprisingly, the American Airlines check-in agent didn't even ask to see my green card or the extension letter. We went through security in Venice and then I saw a long line to passport control. This was the first time I'd ever seen passport control after security. The 'All Passports' line was extremely long so I went to the 'EU Citizens' line, scanned my British passport and went through the automated gates. I then boarded the plane and no-one had even looked at my green card!

When we arrived in Philadelphia we were greeted by the longest immigration line I have ever seen in my life. A CBP officer said twelve international flights had all come in at once. The queue was two and a half hours long. I initially asked a (clueless) assistant if I needed to go to the automated machines given the fact my green card was expired - she said yes. After standing in line for nearly two hours I asked another representative and she sent me into a different line for an immigration officer. The immigration officer didn't say much apart from "Why did you let your green card expire?" - I had great difficulty in not rolling my eyes and courteously explained that I had applied on the first day possible and that I believed USCIS may be slightly backlogged. From there I was sent to secondary inspection which took about 20 minutes. The officer in secondary only spoke to ask me how long I had been out of the country, before handing my documents back and saying 'Have a nice day'. 

If it hadn't been for the long lines, the process would have been fairly painless. Even with a four-hour layover, we had to run for our connecting flight. I have to say that I'm quite relieved that I don't have any more international trips planned for the next twelve months though!

Spoiler

K1

15 November 2013: Sent I-129F Package 

21 November 2013: NOA1 

20 December 2013: NOA2

23 January 2014: Medical (London)

11 April 2014: Interview - Approved!

29 April 2014: POE Chicago

20 June 2014: Married in DC

AOS

7 July 2014: Mailed AOSEAD & AP forms via USPS

14 July 2014: NOA1 Text & E-Mails (x3) received at 23:52hrs (Received Date: 07/11/2014)

14 July 2014: Cheque cashed & I-485 transferred to Nebraska Service Centre

18 July 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received (x3)

22 July 2014: Biometrics Letter rec'd (Appointment 07/31/2014)

23 July 2014: Early Biometrics walk-in at Cincinnati office successful!

05 September 2014: EAD & AP approved! (texts rec'd 16:45hrs)

11 September 2014: EAD/AP card mailed

12 September 2014: EAD/AP card in hand (delivered 9:54am)

18 October 2014: Potential interview waiver letter rec'd (Dated: 10/15/2014)

19 May 2015: I-485 approved! (No interview) Welcome letter mailed!

23 May 2015: I-797 (NOA2) Welcome notice received

27 May 2015: Green card received

ROC

ROC filing window opens 18 February 2017

16 February 2017: ROC packet mailed to CSC

18 February 2017: USPS Tracking - Ready for collection from PO Box

25 February 2017: NOA1 received dated 02/21/2017

03 March 2017: Received biometrics appointment letter dated 25th February 2017. Appointment on 16 March 2017.

16 March 2017: Biometrics completed

08 March 2018: Case (allegedly) transferred to the National Benefits Center (presumably for a combo interview)

04 April 2019: ROC approved (as part of N-400 combo interview)

N-400

18 February 2018: N-400 Application submitted online

21 February 2018: NOA1 Rreceived

23 February 2018: Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment 13 March 2018. 

27 April 2018: Interview notice received. Interview Date: June 5, 2018. Request to reschedule sent as out of the country at that time.

04 April 2019: Attended interview ... PASSED!

11 April 2019: Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm about to be in a tricky situation - I'm traveling domestically later this month on my expired GC with extension letter. My small and mischievous dog chewed my passport a little bit, so now I'm worried I won't be able to travel. Anyone have some insight?

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
22 hours ago, Derwood said:

I travelled from Venice to Philadephia yesterday, using my expired green card and extension letter for the first time. Interestingly, and somewhat surprisingly, the American Airlines check-in agent didn't even ask to see my green card or the extension letter. We went through security in Venice and then I saw a long line to passport control. This was the first time I'd ever seen passport control after security. The 'All Passports' line was extremely long so I went to the 'EU Citizens' line, scanned my British passport and went through the automated gates. I then boarded the plane and no-one had even looked at my green card!

When we arrived in Philadelphia we were greeted by the longest immigration line I have ever seen in my life. A CBP officer said twelve international flights had all come in at once. The queue was two and a half hours long. I initially asked a (clueless) assistant if I needed to go to the automated machines given the fact my green card was expired - she said yes. After standing in line for nearly two hours I asked another representative and she sent me into a different line for an immigration officer. The immigration officer didn't say much apart from "Why did you let your green card expire?" - I had great difficulty in not rolling my eyes and courteously explained that I had applied on the first day possible and that I believed USCIS may be slightly backlogged. From there I was sent to secondary inspection which took about 20 minutes. The officer in secondary only spoke to ask me how long I had been out of the country, before handing my documents back and saying 'Have a nice day'. 

If it hadn't been for the long lines, the process would have been fairly painless. Even with a four-hour layover, we had to run for our connecting flight. I have to say that I'm quite relieved that I don't have any more international trips planned for the next twelve months though!

Guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma:

My wife's Green Card will expire 11/20/2017 and we will be sending in ROC late 08/2017.

We are planning to travel 09/01/17-09/15/17. Do you think we will be OK? Obviously we wouldn't receive the NOA mail in time since we will be departing just a couple days after sending in ROC packet.

My worry is that when we are departing Afghanistan on 09/15/2017 to come back to the US they might give us troubles due to Green Card will be expiring only 2 months from that date.

Do you think we will be OK? I mean it WON'T be expired, just will be two months away from expiration date and we won't have NOA Extension Letter with us.

Any thoughts? WIll we run into any problems with Emirates personnel in Afghanistan trying to board our plane or possibly with CBP in the US?

This forum is so helpful. Thank you so much to everyone for sharing information, tips, and your stories! I am traveling with an extension letter this October and have two questions I hope someone can help enlighten. 

1. Is there an unacceptable period of being out of the country? I will be traveling for about 6 to 8 weeks.

2. Many travel documents have a six-month validity requirement. Is it the same with the extension letter? 

My green card expired in May 2017, which means my extension letter will expire in May 2018. I will be returning from my trip in November, which is about 6 months before the expiry. Will that be a problem? I remember reading something about getting a stamp on the passport before going on a trip. Does anyone know what that stamp is called and any details about it?

Much appreciated. THANK YOU!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, vajaster said:

Guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma:

My wife's Green Card will expire 11/20/2017 and we will be sending in ROC late 08/2017.

We are planning to travel 09/01/17-09/15/17. Do you think we will be OK? Obviously we wouldn't receive the NOA mail in time since we will be departing just a couple days after sending in ROC packet.

My worry is that when we are departing Afghanistan on 09/15/2017 to come back to the US they might give us troubles due to Green Card will be expiring only 2 months from that date.

Do you think we will be OK? I mean it WON'T be expired, just will be two months away from expiration date and we won't have NOA Extension Letter with us.

Any thoughts? WIll we run into any problems with Emirates personnel in Afghanistan trying to board our plane or possibly with CBP in the US?

I had no problems traveling recently with less than two months left on my GC. I did not have the extension letter, I had not even filed ROC at that point. 

i think the bigger thing to be concerned about is whether you might risk getting a biometrics appointment letter while away on your trip. Make sure you have someone who is checking your mail for you and can notify you if you receive that letter (in case the date is during your trip and need to reschedule), or else I'd say wait to file your ROC until you get back from the trip. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, OshunMY said:

This forum is so helpful. Thank you so much to everyone for sharing information, tips, and your stories! I am traveling with an extension letter this October and have two questions I hope someone can help enlighten. 

1. Is there an unacceptable period of being out of the country? I will be traveling for about 6 to 8 weeks.

2. Many travel documents have a six-month validity requirement. Is it the same with the extension letter? 

My green card expired in May 2017, which means my extension letter will expire in May 2018. I will be returning from my trip in November, which is about 6 months before the expiry. Will that be a problem? I remember reading something about getting a stamp on the passport before going on a trip. Does anyone know what that stamp is called and any details about it?

Much appreciated. THANK YOU!

From what I understand, the letter is not like passports with the six-month requirement. I say that because I have read from many people that you can't even go and get the stamp (called the I-551) until your extension letter is close to expiring. If your letter is coming close to expiry, say next April in your case, and your I-751 has still not been approved, you could make an INFOPASS appointment to go get the stamp. As for limitations on travel time with the letter, I've never heard of any for a period of a few weeks like you're doing. It's not like you're leaving the country for a year. :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, theanswerisdance said:

From what I understand, the letter is not like passports with the six-month requirement. I say that because I have read from many people that you can't even go and get the stamp (called the I-551) until your extension letter is close to expiring. If your letter is coming close to expiry, say next April in your case, and your I-751 has still not been approved, you could make an INFOPASS appointment to go get the stamp. As for limitations on travel time with the letter, I've never heard of any for a period of a few weeks like you're doing. It's not like you're leaving the country for a year. :) 

I'm glad you mention this because last week i schedule my wife a infopass appt. which is on the 24th of july cause i thought you need the extension letter and a stamp in the passport. I read somewhere where others said that the extension letter wasn't enough and that you needed a extension letter and a stamp in the passport. My wife got her extension letter last week and she is traveling August 8th to the phil til Sept...So do i need to cancel that appointment cause she has everything she needs already to travel and return?

Timeline
26 minutes ago, llindsay said:

I'm glad you mention this because last week i schedule my wife a infopass appt. which is on the 24th of july cause i thought you need the extension letter and a stamp in the passport. I read somewhere where others said that the extension letter wasn't enough and that you needed a extension letter and a stamp in the passport. My wife got her extension letter last week and she is traveling August 8th to the phil til Sept...So do i need to cancel that appointment cause she has everything she needs already to travel and return?

No, I'm pretty sure they won't even give her that I-551 stamp because she just got her extension letter and it's nowhere near close to expiry. The only reason you would need it is when that one-year extension is coming close to being due. Nowhere in the NOA does it say you need to have both the stamp and the extension letter to travel. In fact, I think because they're both legal documents, you can't have both the stamp and the green card/extension letter combo. Meaning next year if your one-year extension is almost up and you still haven't received her new 10-year green card, then you would actually have to surrender the old green card along with the extension letter in exchange for the I-551 stamp in her passport.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, theanswerisdance said:

No, I'm pretty sure they won't even give her that I-551 stamp because she just got her extension letter and it's nowhere near close to expiry. The only reason you would need it is when that one-year extension is coming close to being due. Nowhere in the NOA does it say you need to have both the stamp and the extension letter to travel. In fact, I think because they're both legal documents, you can't have both the stamp and the green card/extension letter combo. Meaning next year if your one-year extension is almost up and you still haven't received her new 10-year green card, then you would actually have to surrender the old green card along with the extension letter in exchange for the I-551 stamp in her passport.

Ok, Thanks for the info and i will cancel the appointment.

Has anyone traveled to Mexico on expired green card and extension letter?

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Timeline

This and other threads have raised a question for me: many people are saying that IF there is a problem with using the expired green card + extension letter, it's usually with the airline ticket agents and not with the immigration officers (who tend to be familiar with the letter). I have travelled back and forth to Canada and outside North America numerous times since becoming a permanent resident and I realized that I've never once showed my green card to an airline agent at the check-in counter, in the States and in Canada and in every other country I've traveled to. I only ever show my Canadian passport, and then when I get to U.S. customs that's the first time I show my green card. Are we supposed to or required to show our green card to the airline employees too? I was planning to just keep doing what I've always done and show my passport only at the check-in counter, and then produce the letter and green card once at customs...

28 minutes ago, theanswerisdance said:

This and other threads have raised a question for me: many people are saying that IF there is a problem with using the expired green card + extension letter, it's usually with the airline ticket agents and not with the immigration officers (who tend to be familiar with the letter). I have travelled back and forth to Canada and outside North America numerous times since becoming a permanent resident and I realized that I've never once showed my green card to an airline agent at the check-in counter, in the States and in Canada and in every other country I've traveled to. I only ever show my Canadian passport, and then when I get to U.S. customs that's the first time I show my green card. Are we supposed to or required to show our green card to the airline employees too? I was planning to just keep doing what I've always done and show my passport only at the check-in counter, and then produce the letter and green card once at customs...

That's because Canadians don't require a visa to enter the U.S. The only other nationalities that don't require a visa or ESTA via the Visa Waiver Program are holders of passports from Bermuda, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, and Palau.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 7/17/2017 at 9:50 AM, bricklane said:

I'm about to be in a tricky situation - I'm traveling domestically later this month on my expired GC with extension letter. My small and mischievous dog chewed my passport a little bit, so now I'm worried I won't be able to travel. Anyone have some insight?

I use my CA drivers licence for domestic travel to avoid any issues.  I know not all states DL's can be used, hopefully yours can.  

I-130 Timeline

NOA1 July 3rd 2013

Transfer to CSC January 7th 2014
RFE (eNotification) February 20th 2014 - RFE (Hardcopy) arrives in mail March 7th 2014
RFE Evidence sent March 10th 2014 - RFE Received at CSC March 11th 2014
NOA2 April 9th 2014

NVC Timeline
Received at NVC - May 14th 2014
Assigned Case # / IIN / BIN - May 16th 2014
DS-261 Completed online - May 19th 2014
DS-261 & AOS Bill email received - May 20th 2014
AOS Bill paid - May 20th 2014 Show's as Paid on portal - May 21st 2014
AOS Package sent - May 21st 2014 AOS Package received/scanned - May 27th 2014
DS-261 Reviewed - June 9th 2014
IV Fee invoiced and paid - June 10th 2014 Shows a Paid on portal - June 16th 2014
IV Package sent - June 10th 2014 IV Docs received/scanned - June 17th 2014
DS-260 Available and completed - June 16th 2014
AOS Checklist generated - June 27th 2014 AOS Checklist email - June 30th 2014
AOS Checklist response sent - June 30th 2014 AOS Checklist response received/scanned - July 9th 2014
IV Package reviewed and accepted - August 1st 2014
AOS Checklist reviewed and accepted - August 22nd 2014 Case Complete - August 22nd 2014
Left NVC - September 10th 2014

Embassy Timeline

Medical - May 27th 2014
Interview scheduled - September 2nd 2014
Case arrived at Embassy - September 16th 2014
Interview Date - September 29th (Changed from October 31st 2014) - APPROVED!!!
Visa in hand - October 7th 2014 - Entry to USA - October 8th (LAX)

Removal of Conditions Timeline (I-751)

Packet mailed - September 6th 2016 - Signed for September 8th
NOA (receipt date) - September 8th 2016 - Physical letter received September 12th 2016

Called USCIS as no biometrics letter received - Service Request raised October 13th

Biometrics letter- Letter mailed October 14th - letter received October 17th 2015

Biometrics appointment - October 31st 2016

InfoPass stamp - October 25th 2017 (expires October 24th 2018)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Mirroring what others have said, I previously had no issues travelling using expired GC and letter, however my most recent trip I was sent to secondary inspection.  My husband was told he was not allowed to remain with me, or even in the terminal and needless to say caused unnecessary stress.  It seems their policies may have changed in recent months (hmmm, wonder who could be behind that one) and they automatically send us straight to secondary, however the officer told me that a letter does not replace an expired green card and that i was in the wrong for believing so.  He told me next time I better have a stamp in my passport so I have made an infopass apt to get the stamp.  

My first experience with secondary inspection a couple of years ago  (before I even received my GC) scarred me for life.  It was a traumatic experience where I was treated like a criminal, all my belongings were just dumped out of my suitcase and every item including underwear was inspected.  I was left to pick everything up on my hands and knees as the officer bellowed at me to hurry up.  It was the most degrading experience of my life.  Now my most recent experience (which is the one with the expired GC) was actually quick and painless, but it triggered an anxiety attack in both me and my husband and I'm sure this is how it will be in future.  

It's for this reason I will not leave the office until I have a stamp in my passport, or a 10 year GC in my hand.  

I-130 Timeline

NOA1 July 3rd 2013

Transfer to CSC January 7th 2014
RFE (eNotification) February 20th 2014 - RFE (Hardcopy) arrives in mail March 7th 2014
RFE Evidence sent March 10th 2014 - RFE Received at CSC March 11th 2014
NOA2 April 9th 2014

NVC Timeline
Received at NVC - May 14th 2014
Assigned Case # / IIN / BIN - May 16th 2014
DS-261 Completed online - May 19th 2014
DS-261 & AOS Bill email received - May 20th 2014
AOS Bill paid - May 20th 2014 Show's as Paid on portal - May 21st 2014
AOS Package sent - May 21st 2014 AOS Package received/scanned - May 27th 2014
DS-261 Reviewed - June 9th 2014
IV Fee invoiced and paid - June 10th 2014 Shows a Paid on portal - June 16th 2014
IV Package sent - June 10th 2014 IV Docs received/scanned - June 17th 2014
DS-260 Available and completed - June 16th 2014
AOS Checklist generated - June 27th 2014 AOS Checklist email - June 30th 2014
AOS Checklist response sent - June 30th 2014 AOS Checklist response received/scanned - July 9th 2014
IV Package reviewed and accepted - August 1st 2014
AOS Checklist reviewed and accepted - August 22nd 2014 Case Complete - August 22nd 2014
Left NVC - September 10th 2014

Embassy Timeline

Medical - May 27th 2014
Interview scheduled - September 2nd 2014
Case arrived at Embassy - September 16th 2014
Interview Date - September 29th (Changed from October 31st 2014) - APPROVED!!!
Visa in hand - October 7th 2014 - Entry to USA - October 8th (LAX)

Removal of Conditions Timeline (I-751)

Packet mailed - September 6th 2016 - Signed for September 8th
NOA (receipt date) - September 8th 2016 - Physical letter received September 12th 2016

Called USCIS as no biometrics letter received - Service Request raised October 13th

Biometrics letter- Letter mailed October 14th - letter received October 17th 2015

Biometrics appointment - October 31st 2016

InfoPass stamp - October 25th 2017 (expires October 24th 2018)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.