Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,145 posts in this topic

Hi everyone first time posting, long time reader.

I'm planning a road trip to Canada and i just have some questions:

Is it really safe traveling with the extension letter, expired GC and passport? Do I need anything else?

How do i go thru the border with an expired GC? I mean do the Canadian Border Patrol know about the extension letter?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 minutes ago, MrGeorgeMonopoly said:

Is it really safe traveling with the extension letter, expired GC and passport? Do I need anything else?

How do i go thru the border with an expired GC? I mean do the Canadian Border Patrol know about the extension letter?

Thank you!

They are well informed of this "combo" - an expired green card & an Extension letter, so no worries here. 

The only thing - you have to check if you need an eTA, flying through Canada. It will be "attached" to your passport #. Takes 5 minutes to apply (on-line_ and costs #7.00 Canadian dollars. Usually given for 5 years.  

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html?utm_source=slash-eta_ave&utm_medium=short-url-en&utm_campaign=eta

Good luck!!!

50 minutes ago, MrGeorgeMonopoly said:

Thank you!

I sail through both ways driving or flying....but then again, I'm Canadian.  They know, have everything handy and always tell the truth.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

I have a green card (with conditions), I have submitted my I-751 April 2017 and received I-797 April 28th 2017 detailing the extension of one year. This extension period expires on June 18th, in one month and I am not expecting anything like an approval in one month seeing as the processing time is 17.5 to 19 months. What happens on June 19th? Will I suddenly become an illegal immigrant, a target for ICE? Can I continue working after expiration? I cannot query my application as the processing time is within the limits, who is my port of call to get clarification on this?

2 hours ago, curtiskid said:

I have a green card (with conditions), I have submitted my I-751 April 2017 and received I-797 April 28th 2017 detailing the extension of one year. This extension period expires on June 18th, in one month and I am not expecting anything like an approval in one month seeing as the processing time is 17.5 to 19 months. What happens on June 19th? Will I suddenly become an illegal immigrant, a target for ICE? Can I continue working after expiration? I cannot query my application as the processing time is within the limits, who is my port of call to get clarification on this?

You are fine. Just go get a stamp i551 if you plan to travel or just in case you might need it... other than that you are good to go 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
5 hours ago, curtiskid said:

You are still a legal resident, your legal status has not expired.  it's only your documentation which has expired through no fault of your own.  Make an infopass appointment and they will stamp your passport.  It's usually valid for 6 to 12 months (mine was 12 months).  That becomes your new proof of residency.  

Technically you only need it to travel but if you are trying to prove residency for anything else like a driver's license, new job, or mortgage application etc. it's best to have the stamp rather than an expired green card.  (Incidentally since I didn't have the stamp at the time, I just sent my mortgage underwriter a letter, a copy of my expired GC, the extension letter, a print out of the USCIS processing times, and a print out of the USCIS website explanation of what the removal of conditions actually means)

I-130 Timeline

NOA1 July 3rd 2013

Transfer to CSC January 7th 2014
RFE (eNotification) February 20th 2014 - RFE (Hardcopy) arrives in mail March 7th 2014
RFE Evidence sent March 10th 2014 - RFE Received at CSC March 11th 2014
NOA2 April 9th 2014

NVC Timeline
Received at NVC - May 14th 2014
Assigned Case # / IIN / BIN - May 16th 2014
DS-261 Completed online - May 19th 2014
DS-261 & AOS Bill email received - May 20th 2014
AOS Bill paid - May 20th 2014 Show's as Paid on portal - May 21st 2014
AOS Package sent - May 21st 2014 AOS Package received/scanned - May 27th 2014
DS-261 Reviewed - June 9th 2014
IV Fee invoiced and paid - June 10th 2014 Shows a Paid on portal - June 16th 2014
IV Package sent - June 10th 2014 IV Docs received/scanned - June 17th 2014
DS-260 Available and completed - June 16th 2014
AOS Checklist generated - June 27th 2014 AOS Checklist email - June 30th 2014
AOS Checklist response sent - June 30th 2014 AOS Checklist response received/scanned - July 9th 2014
IV Package reviewed and accepted - August 1st 2014
AOS Checklist reviewed and accepted - August 22nd 2014 Case Complete - August 22nd 2014
Left NVC - September 10th 2014

Embassy Timeline

Medical - May 27th 2014
Interview scheduled - September 2nd 2014
Case arrived at Embassy - September 16th 2014
Interview Date - September 29th (Changed from October 31st 2014) - APPROVED!!!
Visa in hand - October 7th 2014 - Entry to USA - October 8th (LAX)

Removal of Conditions Timeline (I-751)

Packet mailed - September 6th 2016 - Signed for September 8th
NOA (receipt date) - September 8th 2016 - Physical letter received September 12th 2016

Called USCIS as no biometrics letter received - Service Request raised October 13th

Biometrics letter- Letter mailed October 14th - letter received October 17th 2015

Biometrics appointment - October 31st 2016

InfoPass stamp - October 25th 2017 (expires October 24th 2018)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just saw that the link in the first post for the carrier guide is dead.  Here is a new link.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Nov/carrier-information-guide-english.pdf

carrier-information-guide-english.pdf

Edited by Bill & Katya

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a question concerning the possible advantages/disadvantages of travelling on a I-551 passport stamp versus the expired green card + NOA extension letter combo. 

My original 2-year green card expired on 08/01/2017. I received the NOA letter in May 2017, meaning my green card is technically extended until 08/01/2018. I traveled to the UK in December 2017 with the expired green card + NOA letter, and had no issues doing so. 

However, I plan on travelling to Canada in mid-July 2018. I should be back by 07/16/18, so still 2 weeks before the NOA letter expires, but the proximity does worry me a little. So I essentially have two options:

1. Travel with expired green card + almost-but-not-yet-expired NOA extension letter (then get I-551 stamp once I return to the US).
  2. Get an I-551 stamp at the beginning of July before travelling to Canada, then travel on this (presumably without the expired green card, since my understanding is that they will take it away from me when I make my InfoPass appointment).

In your experiences, which of these options is least likely to cause issues at the airport/border? Which seems like the safer option? 

As always, this place is a lifesaver! 

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello all,

My wife's extension letter expires in June 22nd. We've taken an info pass appointment for today to get her passport stamped. According to my wife, the officer first stamps her passport but then he gets up to ask something to his supervisor... He comes back and he says he cannot stamp her passport. Then he crosses the stamp with a pen and says "you still got time till 22nd, come back on 22nd or after..." 

We were told by a lawyer that we can do this a month prior ext. letter expires... We are kind of confused now. Not that she desperately needs to travel overseas but we thought it would be nice to have it incase...

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi all,

Wife and I just came back from Ukraine via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines, wife had no issues with Turkish Airlines, she just showed her Ukraine passport, expired green card and extension letter, Turkish Airline supervisor reviewed all and was approved.

We arrived at Miami airport we both are Global Entry, wife received X on print out and than Global Entry officier reviewed  her passport, expired green card and Ext. letter, entered info. Into computer and was cleared without any delay.

Hello everyone, 

I sent i751 through mail on April 9th( it's been received on April 11th) and I didn't hear on any way from USCIS for almost 2 months.  I called couple times and they just told me that they need up to 60days to process it and they didn't want to say anything else.  I was worried that my package was lost.  My check wasn't cashed out. So after 55 days I'm getting letter and 1 year extension of status and it says that really April 11th was date when they received package. Just wanted to share if someone is in the same situation so not to be worried like I was whole time. 

6 hours ago, peposavic said:

Hello everyone, 

I sent i751 through mail on April 9th( it's been received on April 11th) and I didn't hear on any way from USCIS for almost 2 months.  I called couple times and they just told me that they need up to 60days to process it and they didn't want to say anything else.  I was worried that my package was lost.  My check wasn't cashed out. So after 55 days I'm getting letter and 1 year extension of status and it says that really April 11th was date when they received package. Just wanted to share if someone is in the same situation so not to be worried like I was whole time. 

Come join us here at April Filers for some relief on your side as well. Currently CSC is finally moving again in the 45-50 day range.

tumblr_mx13xz5r3o1spaqpio1_250.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
16 hours ago, tram said:

Is there an updated link from the original post? The link leads to nowhere. 

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Nov/carrier-information-guide-english.pdf - page 38. :D

On 4/26/2017 at 12:54 PM, Derwood said:

There have been quite a few posts recently regarding traveling on an expired GC with the one year extension letter.

Page 38 of this document provides some reassurance:

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Carrier Information Guide- English.pdf

It also makes clear that the 12 month extension is from the card expiry date, not the receipt date of the I-797.

Hi! I just got off the line with USCIS about this topic. She explained that the extension is from the date on the letter not the GC expiration day😕😕 this is so confusing 

Good Luck!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.