17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

My friend is currently filling out I-864 form but is stuck on the income portion.

A little background, he (american) and wife (canadian) are both living and working in Canada. Married last year.

He filed 2015 u.s. taxes on his Canadian income but did not file for 2016. income is above poverty line.

He just got a job in the u.s. this year (2017). income is also above poverty line.

Can he submit I-864 with 2015 tax return attached? or does he need to wait and file 2016 tax return and attach that to I-864? or can he attach proof of current employment in the u.s. showing the salary instead? they want to know the quickest way to do this. Is it quicker to get a joint sponsor instead?

If you guys know of a thread that already explained this kind of situation, can you please direct me to it? Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Girv said:

Can he submit I-864 with 2015 tax return attached? or does he need to wait and file 2016 tax return and attach that to I-864? or can he attach proof of current employment in the u.s. showing the salary instead? they want to know the quickest way to do this. Is it quicker to get a joint sponsor instead?

Regardless of whether he uses a co-sponsor or not he is REQUIRED to file his 2016 tax return, unless he is not required to by the IRS (i.e., if he is making too little money, in which case he needs to provide evidence that he is not required to file his taxes). The 2016 tax returns don't need to be accepted, but he will need to file ASAP. He will need to provide the following documents to submit with his affidavit of support:

1. I-864 form.
  2. 2016 Tax Returns with W2 forms if available.
  3. 2014+2015 Tax Transcripts or Tax Returns + W2 (OPTIONAL).
  4. Letter from employer.
  5. Additional proof of income (pay stubs, etc.)

Regardless of whether he uses a co-sponsor, he MUST file his 2016 US Federal tax returns.

Timeline
On 4/25/2017 at 0:10 AM, agripa said:

Regardless of whether he uses a co-sponsor or not he is REQUIRED to file his 2016 tax return, unless he is not required to by the IRS (i.e., if he is making too little money, in which case he needs to provide evidence that he is not required to file his taxes). The 2016 tax returns don't need to be accepted, but he will need to file ASAP. He will need to provide the following documents to submit with his affidavit of support:

1. I-864 form.
  2. 2016 Tax Returns with W2 forms if available.
  3. 2014+2015 Tax Transcripts or Tax Returns + W2 (OPTIONAL).
  4. Letter from employer.
  5. Additional proof of income (pay stubs, etc.)

Regardless of whether he uses a co-sponsor, he MUST file his 2016 US Federal tax returns.

Thank you agripa for your response. 

Canadian income didn't matter unless the job was to continue in the USA.  Basically counts as nothing so wasn't above poverty guidelines. 

Current income is the issue for them, but as mentioned 2016 complete tax return will be needed for the NVC and interview. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hello. A friend of mine is currently filling out I-864 for their K3 visa application.

Just a little background, both husband (American) and wife (Canadian) currently reside and work in Canada and has been for a few years. Married last year. Husband recently got a job in the u.s. and will be moving there by the end of May. He will be staying temporarily with a friend for 3 weeks as he looks for a place to stay permanently with his wife in the future.

They plan on submitting their application by the end of this week. What u.s. address should they put in the Affidavit of Support under the sponsor section? Should they put the address of his friend even though he is going to move out in 3 weeks? Can they change the address on I-864 while its still with USCIS or NVC or at the interview? how easy/hard is it to change address? is this going to delay the process?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

Canadian income didn't matter unless the job was to continue in the USA.  Basically counts as nothing so wasn't above poverty guidelines. 

Current income is the issue for them, but as mentioned 2016 complete tax return will be needed for the NVC and interview. 

Interesting. so do you suggest getting a joint sponsor then? his new job is definitely above poverty line but wont have a tax return til the end of 2017.

Timeline

Also, I have a follow up question.

Husband recently got a job in the u.s. and will be moving there by the end of May. He will be staying temporarily with a friend for 3 weeks as he looks for a place to stay permanently with his wife in the future.

They plan on submitting their application by the end of this week. What u.s. address should they put in the Affidavit of Support under the sponsor section? Should they put the address of his friend even though he is going to move out in 3 weeks? Can they change the address on I-864 while its still with USCIS or NVC or at the interview? how easy/hard is it to change address? is this going to delay the process?

something similar happened to us. We were waiting for an apartment while living in the house of a friend. According to and advice of a lawyer do you have 2 options:

1 - file the petition with this temporary address and wait till the moment you receive your first notification ( KNOA1 ) to notify the change of address 

2 - Wait to the moment you have the new address.

She advice us because at the beginning you don't have a case number to track so it could be something difficult.

to change the address follow this link uscis change of address

21 minutes ago, Girv said:

Interesting. so do you suggest getting a joint sponsor then? his new job is definitely above poverty line but wont have a tax return til the end of 2017.

current income matters.  Is he actually working at this job yet? Have any pay stubs?

20 minutes ago, Girv said:

Also, I have a follow up question.

Husband recently got a job in the u.s. and will be moving there by the end of May. He will be staying temporarily with a friend for 3 weeks as he looks for a place to stay permanently with his wife in the future.

They plan on submitting their application by the end of this week. What u.s. address should they put in the Affidavit of Support under the sponsor section? Should they put the address of his friend even though he is going to move out in 3 weeks? Can they change the address on I-864 while its still with USCIS or NVC or at the interview? how easy/hard is it to change address? is this going to delay the process?

After submitting the I-864 if any changrs are made submit new at interview.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 minutes ago, inloveVEN said:

something similar happened to us. We were waiting for an apartment while living in the house of a friend. According to and advice of a lawyer do you have 2 options:

1 - file the petition with this temporary address and wait till the moment you receive your first notification ( KNOA1 ) to notify the change of address 

2 - Wait to the moment you have the new address.

She advice us because at the beginning you don't have a case number to track so it could be something difficult.

to change the address follow this link uscis change of address

Thanks a lot inloveVEN

Timeline
2 minutes ago, NikLR said:

current income matters.  Is he actually working at this job yet? Have any pay stubs?

After submitting the I-864 if any changrs are made submit new at interview.  

He starts working at the new job in May I think. So no pay stubs yet but I think he probably has a copy of his employment contract.

1 minute ago, Girv said:

He starts working at the new job in May I think. So no pay stubs yet but I think he probably has a copy of his employment contract.

Doesnt matter hes not actually working.  Joint sponsor is needed. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
1 hour ago, Girv said:

Hello. A friend of mine is currently filling out I-864 for their K3 visa application.

Just a little background, both husband (American) and wife (Canadian) currently reside and work in Canada and has been for a few years. Married last year. Husband recently got a job in the u.s. and will be moving there by the end of May. He will be staying temporarily with a friend for 3 weeks as he looks for a place to stay permanently with his wife in the future.

They plan on submitting their application by the end of this week. What u.s. address should they put in the Affidavit of Support under the sponsor section? Should they put the address of his friend even though he is going to move out in 3 weeks? Can they change the address on I-864 while its still with USCIS or NVC or at the interview? how easy/hard is it to change address? is this going to delay the process?

dit they file already or not at all yet, if not they should fill in the cr-1 instead of k3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.