_RedRose_

Dual Citizenship (non US) - 2018 DV Lottery

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd ask your help with a couple of questions related to DS-260, because from what I've read so far, couldn't find anyone with a similar situation to mine. I've applied to the 2018 DV Lottery in October 2016 and my plan is to fill and send out the form asap if I'm selected. And so, to speed up the process, I'm trying to gather all the information in advance...call it the experience of having gone though an immigration process already ;)

Here's my long story short:

I was born and raised in Romania; I've immigrated to Canada on my own about six years ago and have been living here since. A couple of years ago I've received my Canadian citizenship, as well - which has made me a dual citizen (RO-CA). My country of eligibility for DV Lottery is Romania and this is what I've applied under.

However, I noticed on the DS-260 that I need to fill in my passport details and my nationality - so my first question is: which one?  My both passports are valid, but I'm now using only the Canadian one for traveling and would much prefer to have the visa on that one - is that possible? Prior to receiving my Canadian citizenship I've also received a 10 year multiple entry US visitor visa, which is still on my Romanian passport - although it was never used (later on, I entered US with my Canadian one).

My second question is related to the vaccination record. I recall receiving several rounds of vaccinations in Romania and am pretty sure that my records are archived there, but I think it would take forever to get them. And so in this case, how should I know if my vaccinations are in accordance to the US law? I know they were in accordance to the Canadian law because I've had to pass a medical exam at that time...but am wondering if it's the same? How have you guys handled this question?

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide!

Hi, 

firstly, hoepfully you'll understand if people don't watch to spend too much time on questions for an "if I get selected in the lottery" question....

First answer is you should list the passport you want your immigrant visa in, if space to list all passports then do so but in any case bring all current ones to interview. 

The vaccinations will be a NO until your US immigration medical is complete.

If you win the lottery we can spend more time discussing.  Good luck for the draw!

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Just to add...

If you do win, you will be given a case number.  That will determine when you will be interviewed, regardless of the speed with which you submit the DS260.  Some have low case numbers which mean they will be interviewed early in the fiscal year.  Others have high case numbers and will be interviewed later in the fiscal year).

Submitting the DS260 quickly isn't the outcome you should aim for.  Submitting the DS260 with correct information that enables the KCC to do their checks is the outcome you should aim for.

Good luck @_RedRose_!  I think it's a positive that you are seeking to be well-informed of the process.

Timeline

Thanks for the useful information, @EmilyW !

Totally agree with you that completing the form accurately should be our first aim - this is where preparation in advance comes handy (if selected great, and if not, still valuable info for future applications). The reason why I mentioned about sending it asap is the following:

“Processing timing is mainly based on your case number, and where that number is ranked within each region. The actual processing time of the DS260 is quite short – probably 3 to 4 weeks. However, because of the volume of DS260s that are received starting at the beginning of May, a backlog builds up very quickly. So – for those that submit their DS260 in the first week or two after the initial draw, the processing time will be quite short. Then a backlog will build and processing times will build up to 4 or 5 month delay. Then, early next year, processing times will reduce again to being a few weeks.

If a selectee with a low case number submits their DS260 late, it is possible their case will not be scheduled until a later month than their case number would suggest. However, in the case of someone with a low number who missed their “current” month because of DS260 backlogs, their case will be scheduled once the DS260 is processed.” (Source: http://britsimonsays.com/dv2017-basic-questions/ )

Hope this is helpful for everyone going through the process.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

The quote you linked above is only relevant if you have a low case number AND you want to be processed ASAP in the first 1-2 months of the fiscal year (so October - November).  

I had a high case number where I knew, based on prior years, I was unlikely to get an interview until April of the following year.  Submitting my DS260 in the first two weeks of May would not have sped up my time for an interview.  It still would have been an April interview.  I submitted ours in July and we got our interview in April.

I say take your time because we have so many people who rush the DS260, make mistakes and then stress and fret about it.

In any case, even with a low case number, a week or two is more than enough time to figure out what needs to go in and how, and still submit in time to be processed in month 1.

Timeline

You're right Emily - it's all relative to the case number, so speeding up the DS-260 might not have made a difference in your case.

The form itself, however, doesn't seem difficult to me to fill out (I've looked at a sample from previous years)....and so I agree with Susie that 2 weeks is more than enough time, should one get a low case number and aim for an early interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.