ferq16

Visa denied

27 posts in this topic

I have applied for B2 Visa and was interviewed today, 21 Apr 2017.

On my DS-160 form, I have mentioned that I plan to stay in the US for 2 months. (This might be one of the reasons why I got denied)

VO: what r u going to do in the US?

Me: tourism purposes and to visit my aunt

VO: wer will u be staying in the US

M: in my aunt, who lives in Maryland.

VO: so ull be staying for 2 months?

M: I planned to stay for 2 months but my employer did not allow me to leave my work that long so ill just be staying for 2-3 weeks.

VO: so u'r a nurse

M: yes (research nurse, actually but I havent told him that)

VO: wer do u work

M: at xxxx hospital

VO: for how long

M: close to three years

VO: have u travelled overseas

M: yes

VO: wer

M: Singapore and Thailand in 2015 (attended meeting related to work but didnt told the consul), and HongKong last year

VO: im sorry but u have been denied.

I really want to go to US to see my aunt whose brother (my father) died a year ago and wasnt able to see him (my father) on his last days on Earth. And also, my aunt is financing my round trip ticket and most of my expenses in US, if ever. (Though I know this would lead to a 50-50 decision.

Any suggestions on how can i show my ties to my country? I have a land title which was named after me and my aunt, and all my relatices including my mom and sibs are here in the Philippines, all are working. We also have a small business in the province but is named under my parents'. I need suggestions please thanks

Yeah, having ur own funds really matters I guess. But the consul did not even asked about my salary. The problem is that they only have limited questions so it is really up to you on how u can show ur ties to ur country. Urgh. How soon can i reapply? Should I just say that i will financing my tickets? Do i need to show them a bank statement too?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
49 minutes ago, ferq16 said:

I have applied for B2 Visa and was interviewed today, 21 Apr 2017.

On my DS-160 form, I have mentioned that I plan to stay in the US for 2 months. (This might be one of the reasons why I got denied)

VO: what r u going to do in the US?

Me: tourism purposes and to visit my aunt

VO: wer will u be staying in the US

M: in my aunt, who lives in Maryland.

VO: so ull be staying for 2 months?

M: I planned to stay for 2 months but my employer did not allow me to leave my work that long so ill just be staying for 2-3 weeks.

VO: so u'r a nurse

M: yes (research nurse, actually but I havent told him that)

VO: wer do u work

M: at xxxx hospital

VO: for how long

M: close to three years

VO: have u travelled overseas

M: yes

VO: wer

M: Singapore and Thailand in 2015 (attended meeting related to work but didnt told the consul), and HongKong last year

VO: im sorry but u have been denied.

I really want to go to US to see my aunt whose brother (my father) died a year ago and wasnt able to see him (my father) on his last days on Earth. And also, my aunt is financing my round trip ticket and most of my expenses in US, if ever. (Though I know this would lead to a 50-50 decision.

Any suggestions on how can i show my ties to my country? I have a land title which was named after me and my aunt, and all my relatices including my mom and sibs are here in the Philippines, all are working. We also have a small business in the province but is named under my parents'. I need suggestions please thanks

The highlighted is not good. You have to show you can found the trip by yourself. Also being a young single women is not in your favor at all and it really doesn't seem like you have any ties that should keep you in your home country. 

You can always try again but without any change the result will stay the same.

QQ about your aunt and father. They both migrated here in the US. Did your father ever want to petition for you? 

I agree that the office saw it as a young single Filipina will have more opportunities in the US than back home. You work but you can't afford your own trip. You have an aunt in the US that will provide you with room and board. As mentioned, you family being back home is not a really strong tie. We have seen plenty of times foreigners leave family behind, then later when they become citizens they petition their entire family.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I know it's disappointing to be denied. My fiancé was denied when I wanted to bring him to the US to meet my family. I have seen a lot of people denied for the tourist visa when someone in their family or a fiancé/boyfriend is living in the US. That's because it would be too easy for someone with family to stay in the US and never leave. If you are going to try again, I suggest having your own funds (have information about your salary and offer it), not mentioning your aunt as being the sole reason for going, and showing some sort of letter from your employer about the terms of your employment and any lease you may have.

Met: 09/14/2013

Started Dating: 02/09/2014

Began Long Distance Relationship: 02/13/2014

I moved to Costa Rica: 01/15/2015

My parents visited and he proposed: 06/29/2016

Packet Sent: 07/01/2016

NOA1: 07/05/2016

NOA2: 08/25/2016

NVC Tracking number: 09/12/2016

Medical: 09/28/2016

Interview: 10/11/2016

POE: 10/28/2016

Wedding: 1/6/17 !!!!!

AOS and EAD Packet Sent: 1/18/17

NOA1: 1/23/17

Bio Appointment: 2/27/17

@nuestraunion my aunt is the only one who is living in the US. My father died last year due to heart attack and my aunt wasnt able to attend to his funeral here in the PHL. That is why she is asking me to go to the US so i can visit her there. 

Well i guess nex time i apply, i would just mention that ill be paying for my trip so i can have a plus points. (Hopefully)

thanks for taking ur time in responding to my query 😃

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

If she wants to see you, and has the money to pay for your trip and expenses, the easiest thing would be for her to use that money to visit you in the PHL.

Unfortunately, the chances of a young, single Filipina getting a tourist visa is low.  You can try again but, unless something materially changes in your application, you will be rejected again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Being a nurse (regardless of specific title) is a negative also by itself because nurses in the Philippines can make a lot  more in the US.

The "paid for" trip, relative int he US, being a nurse, young and single, all red flags when it comes to traveling to the US especially by yourself.

If you do try again, you can whenever you want, but a lot of times it's better to wait 3 some months at least or you may start looking desperate to get the US, another red flag so to say.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Unfortunately, the CO did not believe you had sufficient ties to show that you will not stay in the US. Being a single, young, female nurse with US family is difficult to show sufficient ties to return home. Applying again soon after a denial is highly unlikely to get a different result...generally it's an even shorter interview with less questions and the same result unless you can show there is a material difference between the last interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

5 hours ago, ferq16 said:

A lot of Filipinas want to come to the US, but unfortunately a good number of them end up overstaying; as you probably know. If you want to know one good reason you were denied, it's those previous 'visitors' from your country who decided not to return, oftentimes leaving young kids behind. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi!

I feel your pain. I am from the Philippines as well and was once denied a tourist visa to see my then fiance in the US. Although I re-applied on a different visa and now living here in the US, I will share my thoughts to you since I did my parents' B1/B2 visa and they successfully have it and now, I'm planning to process my brother's visa as well, which have the same case as yours.

My brother is also single and in the working age that defines a red flag with the immigration officials. When applying for a tourist visa, they judge you as an individual and your capacity to fund your own trip. Hence, they want to see that you have strong ties to go back in Phils. The embassy already tagged all Filipino tourist visa applicants as "intending immigrants" and it's up to you to prove that you're not. When you say you're a nurse and your aunt is financing your trip, those were already red flags. So these are what I'm advising my brother to do (per our situation and see if these might help you as well):

1. Show at least P200k in his bank accounts. I've read before that this is the minimum amount you need to show as bank money although someone says P50k is enough. You can have a single or joint accounts or both accumulating this. In our case, I'm asking my brother to save up his own money on his own name. Good thing he has joint accounts with our parents opened years before.

2. Gather documents showing his name on properties and businesses. 

3. The longest he can only stay for his first time visit is 1 month. Since this is his first time to visit, 1 month is long enough. Don't go longer for that since it will make the consul nervous. 2 weeks is even better! This is just to secure yourself a visa because you are still employed. Nobody gives a 2-3 months vacation leave unless it is called for.

For my parents, I put 2 weeks in their intended length of stay and now they have a 10 year multiple entry visa. They can come and go as they please and stay up to 6 months each time.

4. Show that you have a stable employment or business and will be coming back after a specified time frame.

5. Make an itinerary of your trip. You are applying as a tourist, hence you will be touring the US and spend money just to see Disneyland Florida or the Statue of Liberty or Washington, DC.

The sooner you can apply is 6 months but you have to make sure to overcome the red flags. I have other advices as well, but I think these are helpful enough. :) Good luck.

Edited by Gingerspike

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.