sbane12

To attend Interview or not attend interview (Petitioner)

15 posts in this topic

So as a January filer my estimated date for approval seems to be late next week. I planned around my approval being close to this date because for the most part what I had been seeing in approvals for the months previous to January... who also happened to pay less.. were getting a 94ish day average from NOA1 to NOA2. Well since they hit January they slowed down significantly, and it doesn't look like they are on track to meet anything close to estimated dates (unless you get lucky). At this point I might not even see an approval to mid may to late may...

I had already planned to wait until the interview to visit my Fiance, because I was expecting the interview to be around the end of June. Now that might be more like End of July possibly.
Now I am contemplating just visiting her next month if I don't receive an NOA2 by the first Friday of May, but this will mean I will most likely not be able to be there for the interview.
Even though our case is pretty simple and straight forward, no prior marriages, no children, no criminal records.... is attending the interview as the petitioner a "make or break" scenario? or will them simply seeing evidence that I visited (if I go in May) between NOA1 and NOA2 just as good in their eyes (person giving the interview?

Thanks for any help

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Which country is the interview taking place in? Many embassies/consulates do not allow anyone but the beneficiary to attend the interview, so you may have to wait outside if that is the case. Usually attending the interview is not a "make or break" situation, especially in low fraud countries. If you can provide proof of a recent visit like the one you are planning, that is usually sufficient additional evidence. 

It's really difficult to predict NOA2 at this point. "Average" is little over 90 days, but you could be waiting a bit longer than that or rarely a bit less. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

3 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Which country is the interview taking place in? Many embassies/consulates do not allow anyone but the beneficiary to attend the interview, so you may have to wait outside if that is the case. Usually attending the interview is not a "make or break" situation, especially in low fraud countries. If you can provide proof of a recent visit like the one you are planning, that is usually sufficient additional evidence. 

It's really difficult to predict NOA2 at this point. "Average" is little over 90 days, but you could be waiting a bit longer than that or rarely a bit less. 

Embassy that the interview will take place is Tokyo, Japan which is low risk. However my Fiance has legal residence in Japan on a Student Visa. She is from Cambodia, therefore her passport is Cambodian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So it looks like a few others have attended the interview in Tokyo with their fiance(e)s: 

You might want to double check with the embassy just to be sure however, as seems like there is some confusion. Once your fiancee receives her interview date, she could follow up and ask the embassy if you could attend with her. As you said, Japan is a low risk country, and I don't think you not attending the interview will hurt your case at all. I understand that you might want to be with her for the moral support however! ^_^

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Even if you can't attend the interview but you're able to be in the country at the time I've heard of people bringing in flight itineraries and passports of their anxious fiance's who are waiting outside the embassy doors - to prove they came for support. It's worth a try. Good luck!

16 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

So it looks like a few others have attended the interview in Tokyo with their fiance(e)s: 

You might want to double check with the embassy just to be sure however, as seems like there is some confusion. Once your fiancee receives her interview date, she could follow up and ask the embassy if you could attend with her. As you said, Japan is a low risk country, and I don't think you not attending the interview will hurt your case at all. I understand that you might want to be with her for the moral support however! ^_^

What about her Cambodian passport? I think Cambodia is a high risk country (maybe?) wouldnt the embassy treat her case similar to high risk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It's not required to attend the interview or visit.  You just have to have proof that you met in person at least once in the last 2 years for K1.  

My fiance was from Taiwan.  She visited and met me in the US 3 times prior to our filing for a K1.  The last visit was from June through August.  We filed for K1 in April the following year and her interview was in September.  It was over a year from our last time seeing each other when her interview at the embassy occurred.  I still have never been to Taiwan and we are passed AOS now.    

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline
5 hours ago, sbane12 said:

Embassy that the interview will take place is Tokyo, Japan which is low risk. However my Fiance has legal residence in Japan on a Student Visa. She is from Cambodia, therefore her passport is Cambodian.

Due to her being from Cambodia I would try to make it to the interview. It is embassy specific but my experience is that
no matter which embassy you go through you will be scrutinized according to the country of your passport/birth.
If you go before make sure you give your fiance ALL the trip/relationship evidence from the recent visit.
You may want to check both embassy (Japan,Cambodia) reviews and post in the regional forum for feedback.
It will be a gamble either way but in my opinion if they have questions and you are there (even if not permitted inside)

your fiance can always say you are waiting outside and show your passport to the CO. If they want they can then

ask you questions too. The safer option in my opinion.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Thank you for the replies that is what I feared. We have over 500 pictures from being together, many professional ones as well. We have WU receipts from when I send her money every month. Receipts from when I buy her delivery flowers, and conversation records from Facebook Messenger (we chat and video call every day multiple times).
However she is 12 years younger then me, and whilst we have known each other for a long time, we only met 1 time in person which was in December for 2 weeks when I proposed. I feel like the Age difference, the single time meeting in person, and her being from Cambodia (birth) will probably make the need for me to be at the interview very high.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I would recommend to go to the interview as well. Many people have been denied and felt that it was because they weren't there at the interview with their fiance. Depending on the embassy, they can see it as the petitioner isn't serious about the process or marrying the beneficiary if they aren't willing to attend the interview.

Best of luck with everything!

K-1 Visa

03/20/17 - I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX
03/21/17 - Delivered at Lewisville, TX

03/24/17 - Check cashed
03/27/17 - NOA1 Text and Email. (Notice Date)
03/31/17 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
07/13/17- NOA2 Notice Date
07/17/17 - NOA2 Hard Copy Received 

07/28/17 - Embassy Received. Case status set as Ready
08/04/17 - Case Number Received by NVC Letter (Hard Copy)

09/29/17 - US Embassy in Havana no longer processing visa's

11/07/2017 - Transferred Case to Buenos Aires, Argentina

11/07/2017 - Received Packet 3 from BNS

12/04/17 - Medical

12/20/17 - Sent Packet 3 Docs back to Embassy

01/10/18 - Received Interview Date Email
01/22/17 - Interview

01/22/17 - Put into AP
xx/xx/17 - Visa Issued
xx/xx/17 - Visa in Hand =)
xx/xx/17 - Houston Bound

5 hours ago, sbane12 said:

What about her Cambodian passport? I think Cambodia is a high risk country (maybe?) wouldnt the embassy treat her case similar to high risk?

Cambodia is generally considered higher fraud, and they may look at the case with more scrutiny than somebody interviewing from a low fraud country. But where you interview does matter, so doing it in Tokyo is probably for the best. Some extra scrutiny is better than going through the Cambodian COs. :P

27 minutes ago, sbane12 said:

Thank you for the replies that is what I feared. We have over 500 pictures from being together, many professional ones as well. We have WU receipts from when I send her money every month. Receipts from when I buy her delivery flowers, and conversation records from Facebook Messenger (we chat and video call every day multiple times).
However she is 12 years younger then me, and whilst we have known each other for a long time, we only met 1 time in person which was in December for 2 weeks when I proposed. I feel like the Age difference, the single time meeting in person, and her being from Cambodia (birth) will probably make the need for me to be at the interview very high.

Photos are good. But just keep in mind that lots of photos over a short period of time isn't any better than a few photos over the same period of time. Generally, sending money doesn't act as any proof of a relationship, so the WU receipts won't have any bearing on the case. Some others may feel otherwise, but I think sending flowers (receipts + photos) is helpful as that's probably not something a fraudulent couple would do. The FB chats and calls are good as well.

The age difference likely won't be a big concern. Only 12 years is not uncommon in Cambodian culture (albeit it may be in Japanese culture a little, but not so much as to raise a concern IMHO). The only one meeting in person is the only flag I see from what you've said. If she was interviewing in Cambodia, I'd be concerned. But interviewing in Japan, I'd be cautiously optimistic. :)

Attending the interview (or giving them your passport to show you are there if you aren't permitted to be with your fiance at the interview) is certainly not required but does help. When possible, I do think it's better to have the petitioner there. Unfortunately, it's not always possible due to finances, getting days off work, or being unable to travel to the beneficiary's interviewing country (like KSA). In your case, if you can make it there, then please do so as I think it would be helpful to your case. Plus, it's Japan (I love Japan!). haha

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Cambodia is generally considered higher fraud, and they may look at the case with more scrutiny than somebody interviewing from a low fraud country. But where you interview does matter, so doing it in Tokyo is probably for the best. Some extra scrutiny is better than going through the Cambodian COs. :P

Photos are good. But just keep in mind that lots of photos over a short period of time isn't any better than a few photos over the same period of time. Generally, sending money doesn't act as any proof of a relationship, so the WU receipts won't have any bearing on the case. Some others may feel otherwise, but I think sending flowers (receipts + photos) is helpful as that's probably not something a fraudulent couple would do. The FB chats and calls are good as well.

The age difference likely won't be a big concern. Only 12 years is not uncommon in Cambodian culture (albeit it may be in Japanese culture a little, but not so much as to raise a concern IMHO). The only one meeting in person is the only flag I see from what you've said. If she was interviewing in Cambodia, I'd be concerned. But interviewing in Japan, I'd be cautiously optimistic. :)

Attending the interview (or giving them your passport to show you are there if you aren't permitted to be with your fiance at the interview) is certainly not required but does help. When possible, I do think it's better to have the petitioner there. Unfortunately, it's not always possible due to finances, getting days off work, or being unable to travel to the beneficiary's interviewing country (like KSA). In your case, if you can make it there, then please do so as I think it would be helpful to your case. Plus, it's Japan (I love Japan!). haha

Thank you everyone including Geo for your help. I guess it is decided. I will wait and go to the interview. It is mainly finances that is keeping me from say going soon and then again for interview, mainly because I want to have the extra cash in reserve for the AOS as well and $1300+ average ticket cost alone for Boston to Japan round trip isnt cheap either. One of the main reasons I wanted to see her sooner is because the government slowing down in the cases kind if makes the stress worse which I am sure we are all victims of. That is also one if the reasons I haven't been as active on this site because it almost came to the point where I worried more about the case and calculating every little progress that it took focus away from the one I love. 

11 minutes ago, sbane12 said:

Thank you everyone including Geo for your help. I guess it is decided. I will wait and go to the interview. It is mainly finances that is keeping me from say going soon and then again for interview, mainly because I want to have the extra cash in reserve for the AOS as well and $1300+ average ticket cost alone for Boston to Japan round trip isnt cheap either. One of the main reasons I wanted to see her sooner is because the government slowing down in the cases kind if makes the stress worse which I am sure we are all victims of. That is also one if the reasons I haven't been as active on this site because it almost came to the point where I worried more about the case and calculating every little progress that it took focus away from the one I love. 

I think you're making the right choice. It's hard (and expensive!), I know...but you'll make it through. :) Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
11 hours ago, CubaAndChill said:

I would recommend to go to the interview as well. Many people have been denied and felt that it was because they weren't there at the interview with their fiance. Depending on the embassy, they can see it as the petitioner isn't serious about the process or marrying the beneficiary if they aren't willing to attend the interview.

Best of luck with everything!

In other words it can be make or break, agreed!  Especially if there hasn't been a lot of in person time.  I plan to attend my interview no doubt.  At the very least it will put my fiancee at ease.  At most it will help legitimize the relationship in the CO's eyes if the evidence isn't enough already.  Case in point here is a recent thread about an interview that took place in Manila, considered a very easy embassy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Conserve on funds now by not being on the premises, kick yourself later.

---

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.