Team_Healey

Conditonal Resident and buying a home

42 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, bcking said:

Good luck! I'm sure the realtors have already, but appeal to the sellers hearts. Perhaps it will help? If won't hurt I'd imagine. "Young couple, first home, international couple who are finally living together yada yada" :)

Thanks! We sure will need it! I have seriously been thinking about writing them a letter, I can really see my kids growing up in that home and going to the school right nearby! 

I will keep updating, and hopefully it will be good news! :)

Quick update, previous LO e-mailed letting me know they will contact the other lender and explain our situation so we won't get into the same predicament with the underwriter as before. He also quoted an e-mail the underwriter from Chase that kind of cringe, "I know you wont be able to find out until the 13th, but if you're able to obtain an I-551 Stamp extending the CR-1 Status, we would be sufficient to approve funding."

They think USCIS can just stamp to extend at our USCIS Infopass appointment, and not only that extend the CR-1 status. 

For those who may not understand, you can not get this stamp (called the I-551 temp) into your passport until a year passes from your extension letter from filing your I-751 form. The reason this is, mostly because it can take the USCIS 6-12 months to send you your new 10 year I-551 (Green Card). You have to make an USCIS infopass appointment to get this stamp when you have still yet to receive your Green Card. 

Also, you can not extend CR-1 status, that my friend is a Visa. Once you enter your POE with that visa, get a temp I-551 stamp on top by the Immigration Officer and in a few weeks to months receive your Green Card, you are a Conditional Permanent Resident! 

There is basically no difference in Conditional Permanent Residency Vs. Permanent Residency, you have the same rights and responsibilities (of course no right to vote). The condition is only that, you must lift this condition off of your status in continuance to satisfy USCIS you are in a legitimate relationship 90 days before your Green Card expires. 

Ok, no more ranting... Just know that the Bank and their Lawyers do not know a thing about Immigration and it takes them up to 3 weeks to figure this out. I know they are doing their best to protect their butts when approving a loan, but the lack of misinformation is astounding and I am sure a lot in my situation will get this kind of response. Let my horror be your guide as I continue to update our very best efforts into securing a home for ourselves and our children. :)

Rant over.

Edited by Team_Healey

Update as of today:

Got an e-mail from LO stating that the local bank will try and fund us and then sell our loan once we give them the required documentation that we filed for removal of conditions later. LO is releasing Loan ID and documents to get funded today. Contacted Realtor and he has asked the local bank for another pre-approval letter for the loan to give to the sellers.

If this luckily goes through as she says, we are finally looking up! 

Keeping everything crossed but still that feeling of probable defeat looming in the background! :dead:

3 minutes ago, Team_Healey said:

Update as of today:

Got an e-mail from LO stating that the local bank will try and fund us and then sell our loan once we give them the required documentation that we filed for removal of conditions later. LO is releasing Loan ID and documents to get funded today. Contacted Realtor and he has asked the local bank for another pre-approval letter for the loan to give to the sellers.

If this luckily goes through as she says, we are finally looking up! 

Keeping everything crossed but still that feeling of probable defeat looming in the background! :dead:

Very good news! An idea what your rate is going to be on the loan? I wonder if they are penalizing you guys because of your situation. I wouldn't be surprised :(

7 hours ago, bcking said:

Very good news! An idea what your rate is going to be on the loan? I wonder if they are penalizing you guys because of your situation. I wouldn't be surprised :(

No idea yet! But at this point, I won't be surprised at all either! It does not seem like our LO has chosen to release any other paperwork we sent in so I resent everything to the new lender myself. Just doing the whole process again! Still biding our time and hoping the situation turns itself around. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2017 at 9:04 PM, Team_Healey said:

No idea yet! But at this point, I won't be surprised at all either! It does not seem like our LO has chosen to release any other paperwork we sent in so I resent everything to the new lender myself. Just doing the whole process again! Still biding our time and hoping the situation turns itself around. 

Please keep us updated! My husband and I are about to start applying for mortgages and we're in a similar boat. We sent the I-751 in October, he had biometrics in December and we don't expect to hear anything for another six months based on processing times. The difference in our situation is that we will both be on the mortgage application, and we have already completed the two steps of the I-751 and are just waiting for approval.

I assume there's a reason that you the USC are not on the mortgage application with your husband. (I understood from your first post that he is the sole applicant; correct me if I'm wrong.) If not, perhaps a joint application would help calm the lenders' fears since he's a flight risk in their eyes, but you probably aren't. I know you're not working, but do you have a credit history? Maybe either of you alone would have trouble, but with your powers combined...

Best of luck to you!

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

1 hour ago, Abby&Mario said:

Please keep us updated! My husband and I are about to start applying for mortgages and we're in a similar boat. We sent the I-751 in October, he had biometrics in December and we don't expect to hear anything for another six months based on processing times. The difference in our situation is that we will both be on the mortgage application, and we have already completed the two steps of the I-751 and are just waiting for approval.

I assume there's a reason that you the USC are not on the mortgage application with your husband. (I understood from your first post that he is the sole applicant; correct me if I'm wrong.) If not, perhaps a joint application would help calm the lenders' fears since he's a flight risk in their eyes, but you probably aren't. I know you're not working, but do you have a credit history? Maybe either of you alone would have trouble, but with your powers combined...

Best of luck to you!

Hello, Abby&Mario, 

Sorry the topic was not updated! It has been a hectic couple of weeks since the last update!

We had an Infopass appointment to talk to an officer at the OKC USCIS Location to explain to them our predicament. 

The Officer we spoke to just verified that we had a legitimate green card and that was all that is basically needed and felt bad that it was not acceptable. They further explained that the date on the green card was for us to file our I-751 and also there was no way that they could write a letter explaining the lender the process. (The lender wanted a letter from them to explain why we could not get the temp I-551 stamp to extend by a year) lol

The Officer said they can't do so because they would have to hire 300 more people just to write letters because they are asked for quite a lot. She then handed us the I-751 Filing Instructions and wished us luck. 

My husband is the only one on the application for the loan because he is the breadwinner in the family as of now. I am a stay at home mom for the time being until the kiddos are off to pre-k. I did feel though, once the first lender could not do much for us that I should have been the one to work and my Husband be the stay at home dad! lol

Apparently we passed underwriting and our loan was approved but they would not fund until they saw we filed our I-751 for the lender's guidelines. :( It was literally the day before the 3rd closing date that they bombed this on us. Just bad luck. 

As for our local lender, it is looking positive so far! Our closing date is for the 28th, the signing for closing is scheduled for the 27th. I am hoping by this point nothing falls through.

The local lender process went so much faster it seemed a lot easier as well. 

As for your process on getting a loan, your letter of extension you usually receive after filing your I-751 is enough for most lenders as well, even if you do not have your original green card or your new one has yet to arrive. 

Edited by Team_Healey
typo

We were both living abroad when I filed my Husband's I-130 for CR-1. Being away from the US for about 6 years meant my credit was basically too thin of a file.

We did have since moving to the US a year worth of credit history and both lenders took into consideration our overseas employment to fill in the 2 year work history requirement.

**Sorry for the double post, internet is bad from the storms at the moment.**

Final Update!

Closed today and got the keys in our hand! :dance:

According to our Realtor the lender mentioned they did not really need any of what the previous underwriter asked for! 

Very happy everything tied together in the end!

But since everything has to basically match the loan paperwork, my name can not be on the title yet!

We have to wait until we get the title in the mail and then add me to it but they said it will be no problem after that. :thumbs:

Now to move, the move itself seems easy because of the mess we went through to get the home in the first place! lol

Local everything is so much better!

We secured a pre-arroval and a lender before we went house hunting with an online recommended lender, but for everyone on our boat, please please please get a local Realtor and ask for local lenders they recommend and go from there! I thought getting the pre-approval was a good idea but it seemed to set us up for a long and failed process in the beginning.

Now to move in and celebrate our family home. :)

Thank you all for the responses! I hope this thread can help anyone ever finding themselves in this situation. 

:dancing:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You must feel great!  Thanks for the update and especially for the helpful recommendations.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, Team_Healey said:

Final Update!

According to our Realtor the lender mentioned they did not really need any of what the previous underwriter asked for! 

But since everything has to basically match the loan paperwork, my name can not be on the title yet!

We have to wait until we get the title in the mail and then add me to it but they said it will be no problem after that. :thumbs:

Now to move, the move itself seems easy because of the mess we went through to get the home in the first place! lol

We secured a pre-arroval and a lender before we went house hunting with an online recommended lender, but for everyone on our boat, please please please get a local Realtor and ask for local lenders they recommend and go from there! I thought getting the pre-approval was a good idea but it seemed to set us up for a long and failed process in the beginning.

Thank you all for the responses! I hope this thread can help anyone ever finding themselves in this situation. 

Congrats!!! I'm sure you are very excited. My wife finally "moved in" this weekend after coming over, so we are also in "new home" bliss (even though I've lived in it for 3 months...I've kept it quite bare while waiting).

Still strange about the loan vs title thing. As I said my wife's name has been on the title since the beginning, but not on the loan. Doesn't matter though if you can change it later.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, bcking said:

Congrats!!! I'm sure you are very excited. My wife finally "moved in" this weekend after coming over, so we are also in "new home" bliss (even though I've lived in it for 3 months...I've kept it quite bare while waiting).

Still strange about the loan vs title thing. As I said my wife's name has been on the title since the beginning, but not on the loan. Doesn't matter though if you can change it later.

Exactly! Really strange, today we had my name added onto the title once we had the title come in to us from the mail! Took us maybe half an hour to do but everything wrapped up nicely! Home owners bliss can now start and the stress of filing the I-751 for my husband can now start! :jest:

Thank you again everyone who helped me out on this thread. I really hope this can help anyone else that may be in the same predicament! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You must feel great, and rightfully so.  Thanks for the insights and for the happy update.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, Team_Healey said:

Final Update!

Ack, I haven't logged on in a while. Congratulations!!! Hope you're enjoying your new home after quite an annoying process.

I agree with you--we're working with a local lender and so far are having a great experience. We've made it to underwriting and now they're asking for the green card, which of course we'll send along with the I-751 form. Fingers crossed! We haven't had any hiccups yet. Actually, my husband was wondering last night if they had forgotten he was a green card holder! I'll post again later to tell everyone what happened.

USCIS (Priority date April 1, Approval April 17, no RFEs)

March 28, 2014: I-130 sent via FedEx from Bogotá to Chicago Lockbox

April 1, 2014: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 10:29 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by J. CHYBA (date confirmed by My Case Status)

April 4, 2014: NOA1 e-mail received at 12:17 a.m.; case accepted and routed to CSC for processing. Check cashed.

April 17, 2014: Changed mailing address with USCIS Tier 2 representative. He also confirmed that our case had arrived to the CSC and that our NOA1 date is April 3.

April 18, 2014: NOA2 e-mail received at 12:30 a.m. Case status online changed to post-decision activity; date of "last updated" changed to April 17. Change of address e-mail received at 3 a.m. Status changed back to initial review on e-mail and online. Date of "last updated" now April 18. Called and spoke to two Tier 2 reps; both were useless.

April 21, 2014: Approval confirmed verbally by Tier 2 rep. Order put in to send second NOA2 hard copy to new address. Instructed to ignore online case status.

April 25 or 26, 2014: NOA1 hard copy arrives to old apartment in Bogotá. Priority date actually April 1. (April 3 was the notice date.)

May 16: USCIS change of address e-mail received

May 19: USCIS e-mail received saying a duplicate notice was mailed on this date. Case status now set to "Acceptance."

May 22: NOA2 duplicate hard copy arrives to U.S. address

NVC

April 29, 2014: Case received

​May 22, 2014: Case number and IIN assigned. Asked operator about our move from Colombia to Argentina and received instructions.

May 24, 2014: E-mails about embassy change/address change sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov at 4:36 p.m. NVC time

​June 3, 2014: Payment portal message "This case is in the process of termination" appears. DS-261 appears, submitted. E-mails received from NVC concerning case number and AOS bill.

June 4, 2014: AOS payment invoiced, paid; DS-261 received by NVC

June 6, 2014: AOS payment shows as PAID in payment portal

June 17, 2014: Response received from nvcinquiry@state.gov. "The correspondence submitted is currently under review. An appropriate action will be taken once this review is completed."

June 24, 2014: AOS package sent via FedEx overnight shipping from Houston to NVC

June 25, 2014: AOS package delivered at 9:43 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by F.FNU

July 1, 2014: AOS package scanned

July 18, 2014: Checked payment portal and saw: "CASE NUMBER CHANGE: The applicant's case number, [bGT#], has been changed to [bNS#]." Called and confirmed. Also said today marked 30 business days since NVC received DS-261; operator said she would have that reviewed and make IV payment available ASAP.

August 5: E-mail sent to nvcinquiry@state.gov concerning changing our embassy BACK to Bogotá at 6:41 p.m. NVC time

August 6: IV invoice e-mail FINALLY received at 2:13 a.m. NVC time

August 7: IV payment made available on payment portal; paid

August 8: IV payment shows as PAID in payment portal; DS-260 becomes available

August 14: Checklist received; errors on sponsor's I-864 form and on joint sponsor's I-864A

August 15: DS-260 submitted

August 29: Checklist response and IV package sent via FedEx ground from Houston to NVC

September 4: Checklist response and IV package delivered at 11:21 a.m. according to FedEx tracking; signed for by GPETERS

September 8: Checklist response and IV package scanned

September 10: DS-260 accepted; false checklist received

September 17: E-mail response received from asknvc@state.gov (30 business days/43 calendar days later): Correspondence under review

September 26: Embassy change approved; new case number assigned

October 30: CASE COMPLETE

Embassy

Interview scheduled: Nov. 10 -- Medical: Nov. 25 -- Interview: Dec. 1, 9:30 a.m. APPROVED! -- Visa in hand: Dec. 5 -- POE: Dec. 29 in Houston

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2017 at 0:26 PM, Abby&Mario said:

Ack, I haven't logged on in a while. Congratulations!!! Hope you're enjoying your new home after quite an annoying process.

I agree with you--we're working with a local lender and so far are having a great experience. We've made it to underwriting and now they're asking for the green card, which of course we'll send along with the I-751 form. Fingers crossed! We haven't had any hiccups yet. Actually, my husband was wondering last night if they had forgotten he was a green card holder! I'll post again later to tell everyone what happened.

Nice! Please keep us updated! I hope everything works in your favor! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.