36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Guess what she beat me, I was going to file and had everything ready but she filed and served me today. 

She is saying that I neglected and emotionally abused her and she wants support after one year of marriage. 

She also wants thousands in legal fees. 

Met: Filipino Cupid September 2012
Visited Philippines: January 18, 2015
Engaged: January 22, 2015
NOA1: May 28, 2015

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, TonyTT said:

Guess what she beat me, I was going to file and had everything ready but she filed and served me today. 

She is saying that I neglected and emotionally abused her and she wants support after one year of marriage. 

She also wants thousands in legal fees. 

Doubtful that she will be granted either one.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Transborderwife said:

Doubtful that she will be granted either one.

Is that because I only signed the first affidavit of support and not the second affidavit of support that you sign when you adjust status.

Remember, I did not sign anything else after we got married. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, TonyTT said:

Is that because I only signed the first affidavit of support and not the second affidavit of support that you sign when you adjust status.

Remember, I did not sign anything else after we got married. 

No it's because in a short marriage like this support is unlikely.  Support and legal costs are a routine ask in pretty much any divorce case.  It leaves room on the table to bargain.  In other words, you can't be awarded what you don't ask.

"Emotional abuse" --- Looks like she's heading for VAWA to get her green card, the old reliable for GC scammers.

Whatever you do, don't be alone with her, don't even speak to her except through your lawyer.

Did she move out on her own or did you throw her out?  If she left on her own, then she abandoned you, you have nothing to worry about.  If you threw her out, I don't know.  Every state is different.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, Eric-Pris said:

Effectively, it is true, because in 99% of the cases the USC that divorced the person applying for the green card is not dumb enough to sign the affidavit of support for them.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:27 PM, Transborderwife said:

I don't think that being "dumb enough" has anything to do with it.  I think that in situations where there are children involved this is an excellent solution

I think if you are divorcing a k-1 wife whom you brought over, married for a few months, it didn't work out, and you sign the affidavit of support, you are beyond dumb.  If you have kids with that person (how many K-1 have kids with their petitioner?  Have not seen any, usually kids are from previous relationship--not my responsibility), then you would want to help to take care of their needs so the immigrant doesn't have to go on welfare.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Eric-Pris said:

I think if you are divorcing a k-1 wife whom you brought over, married for a few months, it didn't work out, and you sign the affidavit of support, you are beyond dumb.  If you have kids with that person (how many K-1 have kids with their petitioner?  Have not seen any, usually kids are from previous relationship--not my responsibility), then you would want to help to take care of their needs so the immigrant doesn't have to go on welfare.

I've seen a few.  There's usually 2-3 "my fiancé is pregnant" threads a week.

26 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

It's not that unusual for a K-1 entrant to either be pregnant or become pregnant prior to AOS completing. And it's not unusual for a father to want to ensure that his kid has a healthy relationship with his mother. That's not so simple if the mother has to leave the US...

I'm not saying it's common or even something I would personally do, but it certainly doesn't make somebody dumb for trying to make sure their kid has the best life they could merely because of a failed marriage.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
7 hours ago, Eric-Pris said:

"Emotional abuse" --- Looks like she's heading for VAWA to get her green card, the old reliable for GC scammers.

Whatever you do, don't be alone with her, don't even speak to her except through your lawyer.

Did she move out on her own or did you throw her out?  If she left on her own, then she abandoned you, you have nothing to worry about.  If you threw her out, I don't know.  Every state is different.

She moved out on her own, I waited a whole year for her to move out on her own. I told her a long time ago that I was not going to sign any AOS paperwork.

Edited by Penguin_ie
sexual language

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, TonyTT said:

She moved out on her own, I waited a whole year for her to move out on her own. I told her a long time ago that I was not going to sign any AOS paperwork.

So she abandoned YOU.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just to let you guys know I have court tomorrow and I am sitting here in total shock at what this woman has said i have done to her. I can't believe this is going into a court record. I am so embarrassed, as a grown man i just feel like crying that one of my neighbors will read this in the court records and think i am this type of person. How can our own court system allow people to just write whatever they want and place it into a court record for everyone to see like this. I can't remember feeling this depressed in my entire life. I understand that she wants to stay in the US, but I have not done anything to warrant her to say these things about me. On top of that she has a Filipino friend who is lying to her in the court records to back her up. She has known this girl for only a few months and she is writing statements for her like she knows everything.   I may have to fire my lawyer and get someone with a pair of balls, if this lawyer doesn't nail this tomorrow. I was not prepared for this. 

7 hours ago, TonyTT said:

Just to let you guys know I have court tomorrow and I am sitting here in total shock at what this woman has said i have done to her. I believe it. It is the only way for her to have a chance to get approved via VAWA. Never underestimate those who are willing to lie, cheat, and steal to reach an end goal. I can't believe this is going into a court record. I am so embarrassed, as a grown man i just feel like crying that one of my neighbors will read this in the court records and think i am this type of person. How can our own court system allow people to just write whatever they want and place it into a court record for everyone to see like this. Well, this is why they are having a court hearing; so you can defend yourself. Just because it is written in court documents doesn't mean it is true. You have have a chance to prove your case. The burden is more on her to prove these things did happen. I can't remember feeling this depressed in my entire life. I understand that she wants to stay in the US, but I have not done anything to warrant her to say these things about me. Again, you were a pawn in the overall scheme of things. On top of that she has a Filipino friend who is lying to her in the court records to back her up. She has known this girl for only a few months and she is writing statements for her like she knows everything. This is common. There are usually a network of scammers in the US that  know how to "work the system" that gets in contact with the beneficiary after they arrive. I may have to fire my lawyer and get someone with a pair of balls, if this lawyer doesn't nail this tomorrow. I was not prepared for this. From the moment your emotions were involved with her, you were at a disadvantage. She got the jump on you with filing the divorce first because you were still confused and suffering emotionally. While you were seeking explanations for her actions and looking for ways to possibly resolve the issue she was 3 steps ahead in a strategic plan.

Listen, we know it sucks but you are where you are now. Make sure you have your evidence and don't be afraid to fire your lawyer if you feel you aren't being represented fairly. Unfortunately, we on VJ have seen many cases like this before. And what is worse is yours will not be the last. 

Good luck.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Don't worry about her meritless accusations in the divorce petition.  She's probably trying to use them to get a green card by filing a VAWA case.  The good news is that you're going to be divorced from her soon.  And don't worry about her immigration problems.  USCIS won't tell you anything about her VAWA case.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Tahoma said:

Don't worry about her meritless accusations in the divorce petition.  She's probably trying to use them to get a green card by filing a VAWA case.  The good news is that you're going to be divorced from her soon.  And don't worry about her immigration problems.  USCIS won't tell you anything about her VAWA case.

Yeah, I just got back from court and the whole thing is reset for another date. I did find out today that she has already filled her VAWA case. I am just bummed out that this is all public record. I mean, maybe I want to be President. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.