Seyis

Need to go for master degree in america

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools    This is a good place to start looking for a school.  Make sure it is accredited otherwise you won't be able to use the degree.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/28/2017 at 8:18 AM, Seyis said:

Looking for not expensive school for the master. Have first degree in international relations already.

Ask here, please, they give grants and it can be almost free, yet International relations field, I'm not sure. Mostly you can get a grant in science

Fulbright in Nigeria

https://eca.state.gov/fulbright/country/nigeria

Tasha

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/28/2017 at 8:18 AM, Seyis said:

Looking for not expensive school for the master. Have first degree in international relations already.

If you are seeking advice on universities that would be a good fit, you might be better off looking at forums concerning higher studies in the USA. For undergraduates, something like this would be College Confidential (or it was, when I was applying six years ago). Visa Journey is primarily focused on discussions about the visa process, not university shopping, so you might not find the kind of comprehensive advice you're seeking -- especially since we know nothing about your educational background, resume, etc. (again, this is probably not the best place to be discussing this stuff).

Edited by Allie D

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Lastly, I'd widen your net to universities in other countries. There are excellent institutions in countries that are not the USA that are cheaper to attend and easier to get a visa for. Why do you need an American degree? You might get a good, if not better, education elsewhere, given your financial constraints. Good universities in the USA are not cheap and MA programs rarely, if ever, provide financial aid to foreign nationals.

Edited by Allie D

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

• 8 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 hours ago, Seyis said:

Can a friend give his childhood friend an invite to come USA for a vacation

of course, I have invited my brother over this year.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Seyis said:

Can a friend give his childhood friend an invite to come USA for a vacation

Yes. You will need to apply for a tourist visa to visit a friend in the U.S.

I have an IR-1 visa (not a student visa), but am currently completing my Master's degree at a U.S. university. If you are serious about attending school in the U.S., I would suggest 1) researching schools and programs that interest you, 2) narrowing the list down to your top 3-5 choices, 3) confirming that your prospective schools sponsor student visas, 4) ensuring you meet admission requirements for your prospective schools, and 5) applying to the schools. Only once you are accepted to a school can you enroll and subsequently apply for a visa.

As others have stated, acquiring a student visa requires you to show that you have the financial means to support living and attending school in the U.S. -- and school is VERY expensive here (my grad school tuition is approximately $30,000 per year + living expenses, commuting expenses, textbooks, equipment, etc.). Countries such as Canada and the UK also have excellent graduate programs that are often much cheaper.

You can try https://forum.thegradcafe.com for help with grad school related things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.