SocratesJohnson

How closely scrutinized is Form 325G?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

What is the purpose of a 325G form as a background check, and has anybody ever heard of an I29-F being denied on grounds of "concern the foreign fiancé will become a public charge?" I'm asking because both my fiancé and I have periods of recent unemployment. I'm more concerned about his, however, because he took time off from a job he worked at for ten years to go traveling, and when he went back home, he opted to work for his family's business instead of getting another office job, and it was not on the books. This was in Spring 2015. So, it reads as though he's not had a job in two years. He did receive some unemployment pay as well. I don't want them to see him as lazy and a potential "welfare risk," despite my income, which is well above the 125% guideline requirement. I also think that his steady employment at the same place for so long looks good, and shows he's clearly employable, but I'm not a USCIS official.Any insight? I tried to look this up elsewhere, because I feel like I'm pestering everyone with neurotic questions, but it's making me anxious. I am also confused as to how USCIS can verify his past employment and living arrangements, especially at the K1 stage. I know they obviously search a data base to look up criminal backgrounds, as in terror watch lists, but I didn't think their stretch was so far if people are having to provide police certificates from every place they've lived in the past, let alone past employment. 

Edited by SocratesJohnson

I also want to add that when he left his job in 2015, he was signed off for a few months due to job-related stress. He was kept at his full salary, but decided not to return to work, because he had had enough of the place. It's hardly an unusual scenario, but we're both concerned that this may count against us, though again, we don't know what comes up on those background checks. 

My husband and I went through this last year. Three years ago, my husband was playing hockey in Canada; he completed his second year and returned to find no job. He went to school for 8 months in 2015/2016 and picked up a few trades, since then he has continued to have difficulty finding a job. They don't look at it too closely, as long as he can prove he can support you financially when you get to the interview (have paystubs, etc) and consider a cosponsor depending on your country. We are going through the AOS right now and got his father to cosponsor me, he found a job last month but because there are no tax returns or a lot of pay stubs to support his employment history at this point, we wanted to cover our bases. While they may not look closely at the G-325a, keep in mind that he will need to sponsor you at the interview and later when you're adjusting your status. Good luck with your journey!

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

10 minutes ago, shayden10 said:

My husband and I went through this last year. Three years ago, my husband was playing hockey in Canada; he completed his second year and returned to find no job. He went to school for 8 months in 2015/2016 and picked up a few trades, since then he has continued to have difficulty finding a job. They don't look at it too closely, as long as he can prove he can support you financially when you get to the interview (have paystubs, etc) and consider a cosponsor depending on your country. We are going through the AOS right now and got his father to cosponsor me, he found a job last month but because there are no tax returns or a lot of pay stubs to support his employment history at this point, we wanted to cover our bases. While they may not look closely at the G-325a, keep in mind that he will need to sponsor you at the interview and later when you're adjusting your status. Good luck with your journey!

Oh no, I'm the sponsor haha. I'm the American ?? He's British. But seeing as how he also has to fill out one of these forms, it causes me concern, even though I'm the one who has to support him in the government's eyes. Sorry for the confusion! 

I guess I can ask you, then, as a Canadian.....did your 325G get brought up in the interview? Did they ask you a lot of questions about your job and stuff in Canada? I guess I'm not understanding why, if I'm the sponsor, they have to look at his employment history. 

Edited by SocratesJohnson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Your husband doesn't have to find work when he arrives in the US - that's why they want to make sure you, the USC, make enough money for the household.

I was unemployed by the time I received my visa, and I don't work now (became a stay-at-home mom) - it wasn't an issue with my visa and it wasn't an issue to get my greencard approved. You are overthinking this WAY too much. :)

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

3 hours ago, SocratesJohnson said:

Oh no, I'm the sponsor haha. I'm the American ?? He's British. But seeing as how he also has to fill out one of these forms, it causes me concern, even though I'm the one who has to support him in the government's eyes. Sorry for the confusion! 

I guess I can ask you, then, as a Canadian.....did your 325G get brought up in the interview? Did they ask you a lot of questions about your job and stuff in Canada? I guess I'm not understanding why, if I'm the sponsor, they have to look at his employment history. 

Oh then that's fine, his situation doesn't matter. It's just so they have a record of his history. They didn't mention or look at my G-325a in the interview, nor did they ever mention my husbands (as the USC, I figured his would be more cause for concern). Try to fill in all the gaps (i.e. worked 10/2012-10/2013 at job 1, unemployed 11/2013-05/2015) so that it's a clear timeline, but even that doesn't matter too much. I realized after sending ours off that I put one of my jobs that I worked at for four years as starting 02/2012 and ending 02/2012. It's just a record, no cause for concern. That is the last thing you should be overthinking. You will be fine!

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

2 hours ago, SparklePony said:

Your husband doesn't have to find work when he arrives in the US - that's why they want to make sure you, the USC, make enough money for the household.

I was unemployed by the time I received my visa, and I don't work now (became a stay-at-home mom) - it wasn't an issue with my visa and it wasn't an issue to get my greencard approved. You are overthinking this WAY too much. :)

Overthinking EVERYTHING in life way too much is my Achilles Heel! Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, shayden10 said:

Oh then that's fine, his situation doesn't matter. It's just so they have a record of his history. They didn't mention or look at my G-325a in the interview, nor did they ever mention my husbands (as the USC, I figured his would be more cause for concern). Try to fill in all the gaps (i.e. worked 10/2012-10/2013 at job 1, unemployed 11/2013-05/2015) so that it's a clear timeline, but even that doesn't matter too much. I realized after sending ours off that I put one of my jobs that I worked at for four years as starting 02/2012 and ending 02/2012. It's just a record, no cause for concern. That is the last thing you should be overthinking. You will be fine!

Thank you so much! I'm overthinking everything and getting way too anxious. I just got back to the US after ten months abroad with him, so it's like a million emotions at once. I don't have to tell anyone here how hard that is to deal with, I know. We have all dealt with the distance thing! 

Timeline
17 hours ago, SparklePony said:

True. For K1 visa only USC needs to show the income, the foreigner doesn't matter and doesn't help for American affidavits

Tasha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
15 hours ago, SocratesJohnson said:

Thank you so much! I'm overthinking everything and getting way too anxious. I just got back to the US after ten months abroad with him, so it's like a million emotions at once. I don't have to tell anyone here how hard that is to deal with, I know. We have all dealt with the distance thing! 

Yes, we have, and trust me, once you're back together, it's the best thing and all the waiting will have been worth it. Keep your eyes on the end goal. :)

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

32 minutes ago, SparklePony said:

Yes, we have, and trust me, once you're back together, it's the best thing and all the waiting will have been worth it. Keep your eyes on the end goal. :)

I know, you're so right. Today I'm giving myself a break from the bureaucratic stuff, and looking at pretty vintage wedding dresses ? My boyfriend keeps telling me to feel more excited than stressed, and he's right! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.