DeadFish

Two Cover Sheets... a friendly reminder.

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Note: This thread was started March 2017, this cover letter requirement could change, if in doubt, CALL the NVC or USCIS for instructions.

I just wanted to share some information so that nobody else gets all stressed out over these cover sheets the NVC talks about.

There are TWO.

You will get 1 with your NVC Welcome letter, it will have an outline of documents for you to checkmark what you included, not included, and not relevant with your application of support.

You need this for your submission, but you also need this other one as well:

THE OTHER COVER LETTER IS IMPORTANT.

Because on this "cover letter"  that you would print out states on it that failure to do so will delay your case.

Follow these instructions:

If your Document Cover Sheet is missing, you can print a new one online.

Go to ceac.state.gov and click on “Fee Payment” under the “Immigrantcategory. You will be asked to enter your NVC case number and Invoice ID number. After doing so, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on either “Print Document Cover Sheet” button. You can also choose to email yourself a copy of your document cover sheet for printing at a later time.

This an example of what this other cover sheet looks like:

DOCUMENT COVER SHEET

The next step in the immigration process is for the
Petitioner to submit an Affidavit of Support. A link to the
instructions has been provided for you on the Receipt Page.
You can also find the instructions on the NVC website at
http://nvc.state.gov

You MUST RETURN THIS COVER SHEET with the
Petitioner's completed forms and supporting documents.
Failure to do so will delay your visa(s).
Please attach this page to the front of the documents for
this case and mail to:

National Visa Center
Attn. CMR AOS
Address
city, state 00001-2345

( I removed this address info, because I assume this might change on a case to case basis where to send your docs)

Principal Applicant:  
LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

YOUR NVC CASE NUMBER

_BARCODE_

visa type

As you can see, completely different than the NVC Welcome letter, cover sheet.

Do you happen to have a screenshot of your checklist?  Saw one from March 2017 and it seems like it might have changed recently (civil documents listed first) so was wondering if the recent changes are permanent and apply to all.

NVC Process Guide for UK:  NVC Process (timelines, numbers, documents, steps)  

_______________________________________________________________________________________

TIMELINE (CR1 Spouse Visa)
USCIS Phase (Married in England September 3, 2016!)
Spoiler
  • 09-22-2016:  I-130 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox (USPS Priority)
  • 09-25-2016:  USPS Priority delivery confirmation
  • 09-26-2016:  Priority date assigned (USC Spouse)
  • 09-28-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Email/Text received, check cashed; case sent to Nebraska Service Center
  • 10-03-2016:  I-797C NOA1 Hardcopy received
  • 02-15-2017:  Case transferred to Texas Service Center
  • 03-16-2017:  NOA2 Approval Date
  • 03-22-2017:  USCIS sent case to NVC, Case Status changed to "We sent your case to the Department of State for visa processing"
  • 03-23-2017:  NOA2 Harcdopy received

NVC Phase

Spoiler
  • 03-30-2017:  Case Received By NVC
  • 04-04-2017:  Case # and IIN Assigned (called NVC to confirm)
  • 04-05-2017:  DS-261 unlocked & completed, called NVC and reviewed over the phone (IV fee will unlock after a week)
  • 04-06-2017:  Received NVC Welcome Letter via Email, AOS Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-07-2017:  Called NVC again and rep stated DS 261 was not actually reviewed.  Re-reviewed DS-261
  • 04-11-2017:  Welcome Letter email received, IV Fee unlocked & paid online
  • 04-13-2017:  DS-260 unlocked
  • 04-14-2017:  DS-260 submitted
  • 04-30-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents sent via Fedex Priority Overnight (sent Sunday, to be delivered Tuesday)
  • 05-02-2017:  Affidavit of Support/Documents delivered to NVC
  • 05-04-2017:  Document Scan Date
  • 06-28-2017:  Checklist for Court Records (even though beneficiary has never been to court); escalated to Supervisor who requested case files
  • 07-03-2017:  CASE COMPLETE!!!  Called NVC on July 5 and representative confirmed status
  • 07-11-2017:  Case Complete email confirmation received
  • 07-13-2017:  NVC rep confirmed Interview Date assigned
  • 07-14-2017:  Email confirmation of Interview
  • 07-20-2017:  11 Week (77 day) expected Case Complete from Scan Date (5/4/2017)
  • 07-21-2017:  Appointment with General Practitioner to get all required shots and medical history
  • 08-01-2017,   1:10PM:  Immigration medical with Knighstbridge Doctors in London
  • 08-11-2017:  Medical files received by Consulate
  • 08-16-2017, 12:30PM:  Interview in London!!
  • 08-17-2017:  Visa status changed to Administrative Processing, then several hours later to "Issued"
  • 08-22-2017:  Passport with Visa delivered (paid for home delivery); paid immigration fee and added case to MyUSCIS for alerts
  • 11-18-2017:  Point of Entry at JFK in NYC!!! 

TIMELINE (I-751 Removal of Conditions for Spouse)
USCIS Phase 
Spoiler
  • 10-08-2019:  I-751 Mailed to Dallas USCIS PO Box (USPS Flat Rate Box)
  • 10-11-2019:  USPS delivery confirmation
  • 10-16-2019:  Text received confirming receipt number; case found in MyUSCIS system several hours later
  • 10-17-2019:  Check cashed by USCIS
  • 10-21-2019:  I-797 NOA received (Notice Date: 10/16) of acceptance
  • 11-01-2019:  I-797C NOA received (Notice Date: 10/25) for Biometrics appointment
  • 11-12-2019:  Biometrics completed
  • 11-13-2019:  Case status changed to “Fingerprint Review Was Completed”
  • 12-24-2019:  Case status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken”
  • 05-27-2020:  Case status changed to “Case is Ready to be Scheduled for An Interview”
  • 04-22-2021:  Infopass appointment scheduled and extension stamp provided
  • 07-12-2021:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times (reply expected by 8/3)
  • 03-09-2022:  Received email response to inquiry from 7/12/22 restating status with no updates provided
  • 09-16-2022:  Inquiry submitted to USCIS for case beyond normal processing times
  • 10-17-2022:  Requested assistance from local Congressman
  • 11-28-2022:  Congressman's office received USCIS statement that "application has been identified as a potential interview waiver application"
  • 03-27-2023:  USCIS Requested additional evidence "as it has been several years since you've submitted this petition" 
  • 05-13-2023:  Sent RFE response via USPS certified Priority mail
  • 05-17-2023:  USCIS received RFE packet
  • 05-19-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “New Card is Being Produced" 
  • 05-22-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Case Was Approved" 
  • 05-24-2023:  USCIS case status updated to reflect new Green Card was mailed
  • 05-25-2023:  USCIS case status updated to “Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 3/25/2017 at 1:05 PM, DeadFish said:

Note: This thread was started March 2017, this cover letter requirement could change, if in doubt, CALL the NVC or USCIS for instructions.

I just wanted to share some information so that nobody else gets all stressed out over these cover sheets the NVC talks about.

There are TWO.

You will get 1 with your NVC Welcome letter, it will have an outline of documents for you to checkmark what you included, not included, and not relevant with your application of support.

Because on this "cover letter"  that you would print out states on it that failure to do so will delay your case.

Go to ceac.state.gov and click on “Fee Payment” under the “Immigrantcategory. You will be asked to enter your NVC case number and Invoice ID number. After doing so, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on either “Print Document Cover Sheet” button. You can also choose to email yourself a copy of your document cover sheet for printing at a later time.

DOCUMENT COVER SHEET

this case and mail to:

National Visa Center
Attn. CMR AOS
Address
city, state 00001-2345

( I removed this address info, because I assume this might change on a case to case basis where to send your docs)

Principal Applicant:  
LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

YOUR NVC CASE NUMBER

_BARCODE_

visa type

I can't find this last cover sheet you have, in the immediately preceding instructions re cover letter, which has ir-1 visa type. is it because my visa type is cr-1?

please advise.

thank you.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to NVC forum; topic is applicable to multiple visa types.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Oh wow. This is so important. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

From what I understand is that the Welcome Letter Cover Sheet should be on top of "Affidavit of Support"/Financial Documents and

this other cover sheet should be on top of the "Supporting/Civil documents" ?

Timeline
2 hours ago, samaab87 said:

Oh wow. This is so important. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable information.

From what I understand is that the Welcome Letter Cover Sheet should be on top of "Affidavit of Support"/Financial Documents and

this other cover sheet should be on top of the "Supporting/Civil documents" ?

I don't know about the order of them, I just put them both in front of everything, with the (example) cover sheet one in front of everything.

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 11:05 PM, DeadFish said:

There are TWO.

DOCUMENT COVER SHEET

this case and mail to:

National Visa Center
Attn. CMR AOS
Address
city, state 00001-2345

Principal Applicant:  
LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

YOUR NVC CASE NUMBER

_BARCODE_

visa type

Hi, 

I can't print the cover sheet from ceac. When I try to print or send on email it always shows application error.

What should i do now?

Timeline

Go back to the website with none of your add-ons or other software running in the background. Google : chrome or firefox safe mode.. that makes your browser like the first day you ever used it, temporarily. 

try on another computer... There are too many variables that could be preventing this.

1 minute ago, DeadFish said:

Go back to the website with none of your add-ons or other software running in the background. Google : chrome or firefox safe mode.. that makes your browser like the first day you ever used it, temporarily. 

try on another computer... There are too many variables that could be preventing this.

I have tried changing the browser and pc but still shows same problem

First i would suggest you to try in a different time. May be site was down @ that time and then you can try it from different PC as "DeadFish" mentioned and if that does not work, call NVC

Edited by mrahman14

Hi 

I called NVC today. They said I can use the cover sheet came with WL if it has barcode. I told them to send me another one. So, they sent me an email with the same cover sheet i have and told me to put it on top of documents and mark the box what i m sending.

I think they have changed the method of two coversheet recently.

• 1 month later...

Agree with masum. It looks like the cover sheet that is on the last page of your NVC welcome letter is different than the one that is available to you on the ceac page.

The cover letter that is on that last page of the welcome letter has bar codes at the top and bottom of it, and lists out all the options of things for you to send in for both the IV and AOS portions of the documentation. You mark whether something is enclosed, unavailable, or not applicable. 

If you log into ceac and go to the fees section (after you have paid your fees), you can click on either AOS or IV, and at the bottom of the page, it will give you the option to "print document cover sheet." It is a basic cover sheet that says who the beneficiary(ies) are, has a bar code, and says it is mandatory to send.

So, for my CR-1, what I plan on doing, is putting the cover sheet from the welcome letter ontop, and marking off what I enclose. Then, just below that, I plan on putting the cover letter I got from the ceac page when I clicked on IV. Then the IV supporting documents. Then the cover letter I got from the ceac page when I click on AOS, then all the AOS documents like the 864, tax info, etc.

I read the stickied advice on two separate manila envelopes and all that, but it seems like with the current instructions, that may not be as applicable as it once was. We will see. If anyone thinks I am off base here, please let me know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.