DFG

K-1 Visa Process: chicago and Toronto

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from Toronto and fiancé is in Chicago. We are about to file form i-129 and I have a few questions:

1. Anyone from Toronto and going through this process as well?

2. How long from when application sent and received by embassy in Montreal?

3. How long is it taking for Montreal to schedule interviews?

4. Are photos printed on computer paper sufficient? For example, we created a collage on an 8×10 page and labelled each picture in collage.

5. Should we send affidavit of support with form i-129?

Please let me know and thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
9 minutes ago, DFG said:

I'm from Toronto and fiancé is in Chicago. We are about to file form i-129 and I have a few questions:

1. Anyone from Toronto and going through this process as well? Plenty there is a Canada forum in here

2. How long from when application sent and received by embassy in Montreal? it depends on when you get NOA2 and after that it goes to NVC and then they send it to the embassy so a few months

4. Are photos printed on computer paper sufficient? For example, we created a collage on an 8×10 page and labelled each picture in collage. Yes thats fine. make sure to write when the photo was taken, where and how is in it.

5. Should we send affidavit of support with form i-129? No that one is not needed until the interview.

Also just to make sure because it sounds like you think the application will be send to Canada but you have to send it to Texas lock box.

Edited by Georgia16

Timeline

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and I already edited my pictures based on your comments. We will be sending the initial application to the US.  I tried searching for the Canada forums but they all seem to be closed now.

I would really appreciate a fellow torontonian reaching out.

Is the fiancee process, ie. Medical exam etc difficult?

Do i have to get all my vaccinations over again or just get medical records proving that I have had them?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
13 minutes ago, DFG said:

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and I already edited my pictures based on your comments. We will be sending the initial application to the US.  I tried searching for the Canada forums but they all seem to be closed now.

I would really appreciate a fellow torontonian reaching out.

Is the fiancee process, ie. Medical exam etc difficult?

Do i have to get all my vaccinations over again or just get medical records proving that I have had them?

Medical exam is easy they ask a lot of questions and look at a few things and so on. Bring your vaccinations records so you don't have to get any shots unnecessary. Neither me or my son got any shots at all. 

1 hour ago, DFG said:

Fiance is from Vancouver BC and I'm from Seattle

If you look at my timeline, we mailed our I-129F petition in November 14, 2016, received our NOA2 approval with no RFE's Feb 7, 2017, and the Montreal embassy received our case March 3, 2017

We scheduled our interview on March 9, 2017 and the earliest available date at that time was March 27, 2017.  So they schedule about 2-3 weeks out.  FYI, the interviews are held on Weds.

4. Are photos printed on computer paper sufficient? For example, we created a collage on an 8×10 page and labelled each picture in collage.

Not 100% sure, but, go to London Drugs and have them printed on photo paper.  Its very cheap.  

No, the affidavit of support and supporting documents will be presented at your interview.

The process is fresh in my head, as I'm going through right now.  So if you have any questions, feel free to message me.  Good luck!

Edited by KimchiLumpia

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

19 minutes ago, DFG said:

Does anyone know if you reschedule interview?

Yes you can.

If yes, does it slow down process?

No, unless of course, you schedule a later date.

Also do you schedule your own interview and select the date?

Yes, you schedule your own interview from the available dates.  From the day we went online to schedule our interview, Montreal had available dates as early as 2 weeks, and as far as 1.5 months.

K-1 Visa Journey

11/14/2016: K1 Visa Application Mailed To Dallas Lock Box

11/17/2016: K1 Visa Application Received Date

11/22/2016: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/22/2016: Received NOA1 Text and Email - USCIS California Service Center

11/23/2016: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail

02/07/2017: Received NOA2 Approval Online - 77 Days From NOA1 Date

02/11/2017: Received NOA2 Hard Copy In The Mail

03/03/2017: Case Received By NVC

03/08/2017: Called NVC And Received Case # and Invoice # - CEAC Website Shows Case Is "Ready"

03/09/2017: Downloaded Packet 3 From Canadian Consulate Website - Emailed Packet 3 at 12:30am PST

03/09/2017: Received Return Email Packet 4 at 1pm PST

03/09/2017: Scheduled Interview Per Packet 4 Instructions

04/19/2017: K1 Visa Interview At Montreal US Embassy - Visa Approved - 148 Days From NOA1 Date

04/26/2017: CEAC Status Changed From "Administrative Processing" To "Issued"

04/28/2017: Visa In Hand

05/28/2017: POE Peace Arch Crossing - Blaine, WA USA - Experience Was Very Friendly And Welcoming

07/14/2017: Wedding Day

AOS Journey

08/19/2017: AOSEAD, AP Mailed To Chicago Lock Box

08/29/2017: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

08/30/2017: Received NOA1 Text and Email For AOS, EAD, AP

09/05/2017: Received NOA1 Hard Copies In The Mail For AOS, EAD, AP

09/19/2017: Biometrics Completed

09/26/2017: USCIS Website Shows "Interview Ready To Be Scheduled By USCIS"

11/20/2017: Received EAD and AP Approval Letters

12/04/2017: Received EAD/AP Combo Card

12/07/2018: Received Text notification AOS interview has been scheduled

01/09/2019: AOS Interview Date - Approved

01/17/2019: Green Card In Hand

ROC Journey

10/11/2020: Petition For ROC Window Opens

10/17/2020: Petition For ROC Mailed To USCIS Phoenix

10/20/2020: Petition For ROC Delivered To USCIS Phoenix

11/04/2020: Check Cashed By US Dept of Homeland Security

11/04/2020: Received NOA 1 Text and Email

11/10/2020: Received NOA1 Hard Copy In The Mail For ROC

11/12/2020: Online - Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken

06/22/2021: Online - ROC Approved

07/02/2021: 10 Year Green Card In Hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

it is a pretty easy process for a canadian! Im from toronto and i have lots of canadian friends that went thru this.

no canadian has ever had a stokes interivew.. it is a super low fraud country and u dont really need a ton of proof.  My experience with the interview, they wanted to know if my parents were canadian citizens and then just asked how we met. super easy. 

the medical is super easy.. again, low fraud country just the basic.. unless you have syphylis u have nothing to worry about:) bring your immun card so u dont need all the shots! it was around 200$ for me! i just needed TB and a flu shot:/ 

you can also do the CR1 visa if you want to get married first and then apply.. i had quite a few canadian friends do that and it was easier bc they got a greencard/work permit upon entry! also, as a canadian, they were able to visit while the visa was being processed:) IMO if you have a good job in canada this is the way to go, if you dont have any job/ties then K1 is probably best. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, caliliving said:

it is a pretty easy process for a canadian! Im from toronto and i have lots of canadian friends that went thru this.

no canadian has ever had a stokes interivew.. it is a super low fraud country and u dont really need a ton of proof.  My experience with the interview, they wanted to know if my parents were canadian citizens and then just asked how we met. super easy. 

the medical is super easy.. again, low fraud country just the basic.. unless you have syphylis u have nothing to worry about:) bring your immun card so u dont need all the shots! it was around 200$ for me! i just needed TB and a flu shot:/ 

you can also do the CR1 visa if you want to get married first and then apply.. i had quite a few canadian friends do that and it was easier bc they got a greencard/work permit upon entry! also, as a canadian, they were able to visit while the visa was being processed:) IMO if you have a good job in canada this is the way to go, if you dont have any job/ties then K1 is probably best. 

Thanks so much for this!!! Glad to hear!! We are doing through k1 because rhena processing times are shorter than the k3 getting me to the USA quicker and with k1 you can still travel back and forth before your interview.

I really appreciate your response and assurance!! It can be daunting and intimidating when relying and reading things online!

Did it take long for your passport to be returned to you after your Visa was approved?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
9 minutes ago, DFG said:

Thanks so much for this!!! Glad to hear!! We are doing through k1 because rhena processing times are shorter than the k3 getting me to the USA quicker and with k1 you can still travel back and forth before your interview.

I really appreciate your response and assurance!! It can be daunting and intimidating when relying and reading things online!

Did it take long for your passport to be returned to you after your Visa was approved?

NP i sent u a message! passport will be returned within a week i have heard. 

2 hours ago, caliliving said:

I wouldn't go that far...I can't think of any off-hand, but never? I would be surprised if that was the case. "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". :)

2 hours ago, DFG said:

K-3 is obsolete...it would turn into a CR-1 anyway.

Good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! Not sure if you have sent your application but I went through the process last fall so I thought I would share my experience :) 

On 3/22/2017 at 8:18 PM, DFG said:

I am from Muskoka (1.5-2 hours North of Toronto) :) 

We sent our I-129F to USCIS mid August of last year. About a month and a half later, at the beginning of October, it was approved and sent off to the NVC. The Montreal Consulate received our package at the beginning of November. (About two and a half months after we sent our package to USCIS). The SAME DAY they received it I did my DS160 and emailed them my packet 3. Four days later I received my packet 4 to schedule my interview and I went home and scheduled it within an hour of receiving the email. I received my packet 3 in the mail two weeks after I sent them my packet 3. USCIS is encountering a backlog at some of the Service Centers the past few months, so it may take a bit longer. 

It really depends. Had I not sent out my packet 3 the day the consulate received my package and scheduled my interview asap after getting the packet 4, I would have been looking at an interview at the end of January or middle of February. However, I was able to lock in an interview on December 21 (I booked it on November 4). You just have to be quick about it, if you're on top of things you'll get your interview in less than 2 months. I have heard they occassionally have interviews sooner, it just depends when you're booking it. 

Yes, that should be fine. As long as they are labeled. My husband and I only submitted 5 photos and a ton of other evidence. Our photos were on photo paper but as long as they are labeled and your evidence is strong you'll be fine. 

No, you will take form I-134 and the evidence of financial support to accompany it with you to your interview. If you have a cosponsor they will fill out the same form and submit the same evidence. My sure you take photocopies of the sponsors drivers license and passport, most recent tax returns (you can submit multiple years). Letter from employer and pay stubs don't hurt either. 

The interview was easy. I was called to the first window and gave them the requested information (I took more evidence and our original package, they never requested it. I had my husband with me for the first part. The second window I went to alone, I said an oath to tell the truth, the gentleman asked how we met, our wedding plans (we had a courthouse wedding, no one but our parents, it was no issue), and asked me about my denial from entering the US the July prior. I was honest and upfront with my answers, we even joked around. Then he took my passport, gave me the little "welcome to the USA" paper and my husband and I got in the car and drove back to spend Christmas with my family. 

In addition, I did my medical in Vaughan with Ian Zatzman, there are a few options in the Toronto area but I would highly recommend him. He was really nice and fast, the X-ray and blood/urine test happens in the same building and everyone was extremely friendly and made it easy. I would recommend scheduling your appointment at least 2 weeks ahead, if you're doing it less than 2 weeks be prepared to pick it up. I did mine on a Friday a week and a half before my interview, the next Friday my results came back so I drove down to pick it up, the Monday my husband drove up from the states and we headed to Montreal. The medical cost me $240 plus $60 Chest X-ray and, $33.60 Urine and Blood Tests. It's an additional $20 Shipping for the Medical Results. I had all of my health and immunization records, I didn't need any shots. 

My visa was approved on December 21, it was in AP on December 22, and was mailed out December 23. Unfortunately, because of the holidays the post office was shut down for December 24-27, I received my passport with visa on December 28. If they had not been closed I would have received it on the 26. I moved on December 31. Most people receive their passports back within 2 weeks, being in Toronto (assuming it goes through AP and is ready fast) you can probably expect it in under a week. 

While it it is a low fraud country, be aware of the current government situation in the US and know that this may slow down processing times or make the officers look at your case harder. No, it is not one of the countries on the list, but that doesn't mean the officers aren't going to toughen up if they can (especially if they are supporters of the lunatic in power). You never know who will look over your case, so make sure you provide good, strong evidence. My husband and I included place tickets, tickets to attractions, amusement parks, sporting events, hotel reservations, etc. We also had a joint account already set up and sent two months worth of chat logs (about 140 pages). 

Be prepared to be patient. I look back now and think those four months weren't that long but when we were going through it they felt like FOREVER. I also visited him four times during those four months and he visited me twice, so you can definitely visit. I was denied in July, prior to filing; just take proof of ties to Canada (mainly a job, include letter from employer, copy of schedule, most recent pay stubs) in case you do get stopped. 

Good luck with your journey!

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.