kris_hetfield

Change name after marriage on Romanian Passport

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. My wife wanted to update her passport with her new name and we had gone to the Romanian consulate in New York which was a 4 hour trip. That consulate is completely ineffective, you cannot reach them on the phone and they don't reply to emails. Their website did not make the requirements very clear, and we thought they would require an apostilled marriage certificate. Turns out they had different requirements where they needed:

• Wife's birth certificate
  • Marriage Certificate with apostile
  • Marriage Certificate translated in Romanian with apostile
  • My birth certificate translated to Romanian and notarized (I don't know why this is even required when they have my next item)
  • A copy of my US passport bio page

These translations are very expensive. Costing in the range of $250-300. Are there any other options that other Romanians who are on here may be aware of? How have your experiences been?

People of other nationalities are welcome to comment too of course :)

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
21 hours ago, kris_hetfield said:

Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. My wife wanted to update her passport with her new name and we had gone to the Romanian consulate in New York which was a 4 hour trip. That consulate is completely ineffective, you cannot reach them on the phone and they don't reply to emails. Their website did not make the requirements very clear, and we thought they would require an apostilled marriage certificate. Turns out they had different requirements where they needed:

• Wife's birth certificate
  • Marriage Certificate with apostile
  • Marriage Certificate translated in Romanian with apostile
  • My birth certificate translated to Romanian and notarized (I don't know why this is even required when they have my next item)
  • A copy of my US passport bio page

These translations are very expensive. Costing in the range of $250-300. Are there any other options that other Romanians who are on here may be aware of? How have your experiences been?

People of other nationalities are welcome to comment too of course :)

Thanks

I can totally relate to your post - When I first read the instructions on their website I had to close out of it - nothing is clear or intuitive.

I am applying for citizenship and at the same time, my Romanian passport expires, so would like to renew it here at the consulate.

But because when I got my passport I was married and now , 10 years later I am divorced, I need to register my divorce in Romania, which means taking the decree from here translated and certified and Apostilled and actually filing a lawsuit in RO court ( hire a lawyer, yada yada yada ) then obtain the RO court decree and then contact the RO consulate in NYC to apply for passport -:blink:

If she has relatives in RO , it may be cheaper to send docs there and have them translate there or even maybe remotely, send documents via email and have relatives mail them back to you.

I spoke to these guys yesterday - they are in Bucharest.

http://www.atispro.ro/contact.html

In Bucharest it is 30RON / page, which is approx. $8 / page .

As I mentioned, you may be able to scan documents to the agency and have them perform translation remotely - Feel free to call them , they were extremely helpful over the phone - I spoke with Florin ( not sure, he may be the owner ?!).

All in all, I just sent $600 to my brother in RO yesterday to translate, certify papers and hire lawyer ....this will not include cost of passport here and whatever other paperwork they will think to require here. and it does not include the $725 for the naturalization application filed here.

I am really praying my US citizenship happens before my passport expires. Dealing with the bureaucracy and idiosyncrasies and duplication of the RO system is terrible. 

Sorry my post is not really helpful - mostly venting -

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Timeline
On 3/21/2017 at 10:30 AM, kris_hetfield said:

Are there any other options that other Romanians who are on here may be aware of? How have your experiences been?

Hi. I am the Romanian marrying a USC and I have registered my marriage in Romania on one of our visits to avoid the high translation fees and a trip to the consulate in the US. Still using my passport in my maiden name (no rush to get that changed) but I will eventually want to get a new one and I knew the Romanian marriage certificate would be required. 

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline
18 minutes ago, evapaula said:

Hi. I am the Romanian marrying a USC and I have registered my marriage in Romania on one of our visits to avoid the high translation fees and a trip to the consulate in the US. Still using my passport in my maiden name (no rush to get that changed) but I will eventually want to get a new one and I knew the Romanian marriage certificate would be required. 

Just to be clear, you married your husband in the US and then registered the marriage in Romania, am I right? What were the documents you needed to present to register your marriage there?

Would appreciate any info you can provide :)

Timeline

Yes, I came on a K1 visa and married an american citizen. I'm from Oradea and they have a great list of documents at the office there. I wonder if VJ will let me post the link though:
http://www.evp-oradea.ro/evp5/index.php?id_pag=51&li=1&gog=1#

Edited by evapaula

• 1 year later...
Timeline
On 3/24/2017 at 12:20 AM, evapaula said:

Yes, I came on a K1 visa and married an american citizen. I'm from Oradea and they have a great list of documents at the office there. I wonder if VJ will let me post the link though:
http://www.evp-oradea.ro/evp5/index.php?id_pag=51&li=1&gog=1#

Hi Eva, 

Quick question I am a romanina citizen and got maried in the US. I have the same situation as everybody els with the passport name change and I hate dealing with the romanina consulate in NY. When you traveled to romania did you have problem getting back with the passport on the maiden name and youre marige certificate? 

I am from bucharest and I am planing to travel this summer to romanina. 

Thank you

Timeline
4 hours ago, Camelia Schneider said:

When you traveled to romania did you have problem getting back with the passport on the maiden name and youre marige certificate? 

Camelia, 

I've been in and out of the country multiple times each year, not just to Romania but other countries, I always got in with no issues, and never been asked to show a marriage certificate (even though I always have it on me). Just passport and greencard. The last time I traveled I had to use an extension letter (GC expired and ROC pending) and still had no issues in OTP, AMS or PDX. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.