11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, everyone. 

My fiancee and I are new to this process and are excited to get our journey under way. However, we want to be sure we do everything properly and as efficiently as possible. That being said, I'm having a hard time understanding what we can and can't do for our first step. 

Little back story here...

We met, online, 4 years ago. Since then, I have been crossing the border every 3 to 5 weeks to visit. Always stating that I'm going to visit my girlfriend. I've never had any problems or questions about returning or further intentions.

I've read that it's a bad idea to cross the border (I'm from Canada) without mentioning my intentions to get married. I've read that in order to do so, you would need to obtain a K1 fiancee Visa. But from my understanding, that is a visa that one would obtain in order to get married within 90 days and stay in the US for the green card process. What we would like to do is have me go to the US, get married, spend 4 days there and return home to Canada (by myself) just like every other time we've met. Then..from Canada, begin the visa process for an IR-1/CR-1 Visa. 

If anyone can tell me if what we want to do is a legal and acceptable way to go about things or if we need to take another avenue, that would be so helpful. 

Thank you, 

N. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

That is perfectly legal to do.

Coming to the US with the intent to marry and go back home is perfectly fine.

It is coming into the US with the intent to marry and adjust status and stay that is not.

You can definately come into the US, get married, spend time together, and then return to the Canada and begin the CR-1 process. You can also continue to visit during the CR-1 process as long as you remain honest and continue to show the same things you do now about returning after your trip.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, you can. Your fiance will have to apply for the I-130 (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A2en.pdf)

:)

AOS JOURNEY

AOS package sent: 01/22/18 

NOA1 dated: 01/26/18

NOA1 text/emails: 01/29/18

NOA1 Hardcopies: 02/02/18

Biometrics: 02/23/18

Interview scheduled for: 05/08/18

Green Card Approved & Card in Production: 05/08/18

Card was Mailed to me: 05/11/18

Card Received: 05/15/18                                                        

ROC JOURNEY

ROC package sent: 02/08/20

ROC received in AZ: 02/10/20

Check cashed + Text message with case #: 02/14/20

NOA1 dated: 02/13/20

Biometrics: 05/07/20 (text + email stating bio was taken)

"Card in Production": 07/07/20

"Case was approved": 07/08/20

Approval notice received: 07/11/20

"Card was mailed to me": 07/28/20

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the CR-1 Process forum, on the basis of the OP's query.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

This is why I am confused. 

Do I or do I not need to apply for the I-130 just to go to the US for 4 or 5 days like I normally do, every month. But this time, get married and then come home (by myself again,) immediately and then start our CR-1 process while still remaining in our respectful countries of origin?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I just had a friend do this on Saturday, from Mexico. Her fiance crossed the border as usual, went and got married, stayed the night, and returned home to Mexico on Sunday. You do not need any special visa if your intent is to go back to Canada and not adjust status in the US, as that is considered visa fraud. You are perfectly within the provisions of your visa because you do not have immediate intent to immigrate to the US. 

If it is any consolation, they spoke with 2 or 3 different immigration lawyers and all gave the same answer. The only thing the lawyers recommended is, do not tell the CBP officer that you are coming to get married, as they will believe that you have intent to immigrate at that moment. 

Timeline

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I'll try to offer a little advice, as it sounds like your situation is very similar to my own.

Your fiance cannot file an I-130 until the two of you are married and she is your wife. We took this route, as it allowed me to still work in Canada while waiting through the process. From file to finish this was 6 months for us. There was at least 4-6 weeks added on due to the incompetence of an immigration lawyer we had retained, and the difficulty of getting them to return calls. I was still able to enter the USA numerous times to visit, and her to Canada while we waited for the process to play out. I was always fully honest with the CBP officer, and always brought things like: my work ID, my mortgage statement, recent pay stubs, and utility bills to prove domicile, and intent to return to Canada. It was never asked for (land crossing) but is good to have.

As far as your intent to marry in the near future, I would also be honest with the border guard about that. Remember that if they think you're lying to them, or find anything in your vehicle showing you're going to a wedding that you didn't tell them about that can have a serious impact on your future admissibility. Be prepared to prove domicile and intent to return to Canada (with documents such as the ones mentioned), bring a work schedule showing your obligations after you intend to return, and bring receipts for rings if they're coming with you. I did just this and communicated my intentions to the CBP officer. Three questions later I was admitted and wished all the best by the officer.

Other things to keep in mind for after the I-130 is filed: you're going to have to do your visa interview in Montreal, it's the only place in the country these interviews are done. You're going to have to have your medical done less than 30 days, and at least a week before your interview date to guarantee results. For me, this meant 10 days in Montreal, be prepared for that if you live in another part of the country. Make sure you have a "long form" birth certificate, the old school wallet sized ones won't cut it. Get your vaccination record from the local health unit. Most vaccinations you will be exempt from because of age, but get your tetanus and MMR updated if need be. dTap would be good too. If it's free, take it. Lastly, stay patient and best of luck for the two of you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me directly on here and I'll do my best.

Timeline

I got married in the exact same way as you plan on doing with your fiance. My husband and I got married in the US while I was visiting there, I came back to Canada and started the process of CR1/IR1 application. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.