perritonegro

Can my Philippine wife and I live in Mexico while waiting for her US visa to be processed?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you go with your plan, remember to leave Mexico before the 6-months mark, otherwise you'll need a police certificate from Mexico and that is something very hard to obtain....even for us, Mexican citizens.

8 minutes ago, Amshep said:

Idk anything about the K-1, so you better start reading about it to know the process and be able to make a decision.

CR-1/IR-1 is only if you want to get married before taking her with you to US, and is a process that could go between 12 months or more before she receives the green card. You already know it won't be a problem for her visa if she stays in Mexico for 6 months while you start the process, since is gonna be you feeling and sending all the forms as petitioner.

Sorry, I meant to type K-3.  We're getting married next month as soon as possible.  I'll bring her and her child to Tijuana shortly after that.  To stay in compliance with local ordinances, we'll return to Philippines around the 5 1/2 month mark, then re-apply for the Mexican tourist visa.  I've played that game a few times with countries I've lived in previously.  

2 minutes ago, acajim said:

If you go with your plan, remember to leave Mexico before the 6-months mark, otherwise you'll need a police certificate from Mexico and that is something very hard to obtain....even for us, Mexican citizens.

I think we were writing the same thing at the same time. lol  We'll leave at the 5 1/2 month mark.  Thanks for the advice :)

3 hours ago, perritonegro said:

Thanks for that.  Yeah, that's exactly what I was planning to do.  I reckoned it would work that way.  I knew it was legal, I just wasn't sure if a dim view would be taken if discovered by the interviewer.  As far as working is concerned, it's a cash society.  She can work if she wants, and no one will care.

FYI, try not to be flippant about her working under the table as you seem to suggest. The road to wrongdoings is paved with good intentions. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Seasoned members will tell you that the K3 is virtually non-existent.  At a certain point it will be dropped and only the CR1 route will be taken.  You can search VJ for more information on this topic. 

Edited by FN&KO

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline
1 hour ago, perritonegro said:

Sorry, I meant to type K-3.  We're getting married next month as soon as possible.  I'll bring her and her child to Tijuana shortly after that.  To stay in compliance with local ordinances, we'll return to Philippines around the 5 1/2 month mark, then re-apply for the Mexican tourist visa.  I've played that game a few times with countries I've lived in previously.  

11 minutes ago, FN&KO said:

Seasoned members will tell you that the K3 is virtually non-existent.  At a certain point it will be dropped and only the CR1 route will be taken.  You can search VJ for more information on this topic. 

As FN&KO said, people will recommend you to forget about the K-3 visa and go right straight for the CR-1.

We wanted to go for a K3 too when we started to look information, got some good advises in VisaJoourney about no point to try it, and my lawyer said almost the same.

A recommendation is to start with the VisaJoourney guides, and make sure to set up everything for starting the process before taking her to Mexico.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, perritonegro said:

I live only 25 minutes from the border.  I'm there a lot.  I really enjoy  Puerto Nuevo for the lobster, when it's in "season".  I've done the Rosarita-Ensenada bike ride like 17 times, and I've dated a few girls from Tijuana.  Plus, renewing my Costco card there is half the price as it is in San Diego!  A lot of San Diegan's live their and work here.  However, the new president has been making life difficult for residents... He's recently increased the cost of energy (oil, gas, fuel, etc) so high, that barely half the amount of cars are on the road now.  Commensurately, food, goods, and services are also increasing at an alarming rate.  Very tough has recently become even tougher for my Mexican neighbors right now.  

For sake of time, I'm thinking of renting a small place near Playas de Tijuana, or even in HOTEL TIjuana.  Cost is about the same, I'm just not crazy about the border "smell".  If anyone on here is from the area, you know what I mean... lol

omg! i heard about the crazy oil prices! that really does suck!  

I dont htink people outside of SoCal understand what Tijuana/mexico is down there and  how many commute to work in san diego or even have a second home down there.

i think it is a great idea! even for 6 months and then she can go back for a bit and wait and have the interview!  def get the fast pass bc it can be a pain to cross everyday! but prob not much different then commuting fromt he valley to santa monica lol 

she will be fine for the tourist visa.. and as ur crossing everyday u dont need a visa!

Thanks for the costco tip and the lobster at Puerto Nuevo is amazing:) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, IcezMan_IcezLady said:

Why don't you move to PI for that 6 months?

i dont think u understand.. he WORKS in san diego and will be commuting daily from Tijuana! makes more sense why should he uproot his life when she will be coming to live with him in san diego.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, perritonegro said:

I think we were writing the same thing at the same time. lol  We'll leave at the 5 1/2 month mark.  Thanks for the advice :)

I think is a great idea...sounds like you have it worked out.  Not sure what the latest processing times are for a CR-1, they vary over time, but could well run longer than your 5 months and 29 days. :)

Best of luck!

Filed: Country:
Timeline
19 hours ago, perritonegro said:

the interviewer denied the application because he was having a bad day.

This does not happen. The officer has to justify their decision if they refuse a visa, it goes for supervisory review, and it creates a lot of paperwork. It's much easier to just say yes. 

Neither USCIS nor DOS are interested in enforcing another country's immigration law. 

21 hours ago, perritonegro said:

I'm a US citizen and I'm traveling to Philippines this April to marry her.  So we don't have to spend the next several months, or year apart.  I thought, because I live very close to Mexico, that she could could travel there on a Mexican Tourist Visa without it jeopardizing her US Visa application.    I know that she can stay there for up to 6 months on a tourist visa.  As a US citizen, and I don't need a visa for stays up to 6 months.  Does anyone have information on this "brilliant" idea?  lol  

That should be fine as long as she stays there legally. It also shows genuine marriage. Good luck :D

IR1 / Nebraska Service Center

07/31/2014 : Married 

02/15/2017: Sent I-130 

02/22/2017: NOA1

03/30/2017: NOA2 YAYYYyyyyy  36 days after NOA1.. Blessed  

04/19/2017: Email from NVC

04/19/2017: DS-261 unlocked

04/21/2017: AOS paid

04/25/2017: IV paid

06/14/2017: Sent AOS Package

06/21/2017: Scan date

08/23/2017: Case Complete (9 weeks)

08/24/2017: Received automatic checklist via email from NVC to bring proof of domicile during interview. Still waiting for Interview Appointment.

08/30/2017: Received email from NVC telling that they will be schedule interview.

09/06/2017: Received email from NVC regarding Interview Date

10/25/2017: Interview Date

09/14/2017: Emailed US Embassy to cancel our interview and postpone as wife is pregnant. USEM mentioned to contact them 3 weeks prior to intended date of appointment. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I can tell only my first hand experience. My wife (which was my fiancee back than) moved to Mexico. I rented nice apartment in Tijuana and we lived there for a long time, while waiting. I commuted every day to work in San Diego. It was fine, but you would have to wake-up very early to cross the border reasonably. Just a working.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Your wife's Mexico Tourist visa is an egg not to be counted before hatched.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Many of us live overseas with our US spouses while waiting for our greencards to process.  No problem there :-)  
Just make sure to "maintain domicile" in the USA .... bank account, drivers licence, permanent address etc. 

Got married: 26th Sep 2013 

I-130 Petition Process:

Sent petition to USCIS Chicago lockbox (via in-laws to put check in US$): 11 Mar, 2016

NOA1: 24 Mar, 2016 (email notification 30 Mar. Hardcopy 11 Apr)

Service Centre: NEBRASKA

NOA2: 3rd Aug 2016

Petition sent to NVC: 18th Aug 2016

NVC Stage

Case number assigned: 8th Sep 2016

Paid AOS Fee: 9th Sep 2016

Paid IV Fee: 14th Sep 2016

DS-260 submitted: 25th Jan 2017

AOS & IV Package sent: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite requested: 25th Jan 2017

Expedite approved (consulate only): 1st Feb 2017

Scan Date: 31st Jan 2017

Case Complete: 14th April 2017 (10 weeks 4 days)

Full expedite approved (bypass NVC to send file to embassy), however too late as I already had case complete 17th Apr 2017

Case arrived at Embassy: 21st April 2017

P4 letter received: 26th April 2017 (expedite at embassy stage so this came from the consulate, not NVC)

Medical date: 26th April 2017

Interview date: 4th May 2017 APPROVED!!

Visa received: 8th May 2017 

POE (entered the USA): 15th May 2017 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.