perritonegro

Can my Philippine wife and I live in Mexico while waiting for her US visa to be processed?

52 posts in this topic

I'm a US citizen and I'm traveling to Philippines this April to marry her.  So we don't have to spend the next several months, or year apart.  I thought, because I live very close to Mexico, that she could could travel there on a Mexican Tourist Visa without it jeopardizing her US Visa application.    I know that she can stay there for up to 6 months on a tourist visa.  As a US citizen, and I don't need a visa for stays up to 6 months.  Does anyone have information on this "brilliant" idea?  lol  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't see an issue.   It might even help your case showing more evidence of a genuine marriage.

Just make sure you still have proof of domicile (or intent to re-establish domicile in the US) prior to the visa being issued.   

Our Journey:
04/19/2014- Met online
10/2014- Visited Nigeria and he proposed!!!! 
02/28/2015- Sent I-129F petition
03/05/2015- NOA1
09/2015- Visited Nigeria again!!!
10/28/2015- NOA2 (237 day wait at TSC)
11/13/2015- Sent to NVC
11/27/2015- Arrived at Embassy
06/2016- Third visit to Nigeria!
06/15/2016- Interview, given option to file I-601 waiver.
08/16/2016- Waiver submitted (no lawyer).
11/21/2016- Waiver approved with expedite.
01/2017- Embassy requested interview. 
04/2017- Fourth visit to Nigeria.  K1 officially denied. 
04/25/2017- NOA1 for 2nd K1.
07/27/2017- Case transferred to TSC.
11/17/2017- Case transferred back to CSC.
01/16/2018- NOA2!! (266 day wait)
03/08/2018- Interview (AP)
05/03/2018- VISA APPROVAL!!!
05/14/2018- Visa issued
05/18/2018- Visa picked up
05/25/2018- HE'S HOME!!! 💙💙💙

God has given me a great knowledgebase through research and other members here on VJ.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if I can be of any assistance to you! 

Just as in the US, a Mexico tourist visa is unlikely to be intended for 'living' there. That being said, live anywhere legally, but should be able to support wife in the US upon cr1 approval.  How do you plan to be a tourist for 6 mos? 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

21 minutes ago, KierenHby said:

Just as in the US, a Mexico tourist visa is unlikely to be intended for 'living' there. That being said, live anywhere legally, but should be able to support wife in the US upon cr1 approval.  How do you plan to be a tourist for 6 mos? 

The border is only 25 minutes from me.  I wouldn't have to be a tourist for 6 months.  I'll be crossing daily.  That resets the clock each time I cross.  I've been doing this for many years.  I'm more concerned with it affecting her application.  I'm assuming we'll be required to return to Manila for the interview.  Will the interviewer have a look at her passport and see Mexico in it, then do the math and say "DENIED"?  I know it sounds paranoid, but I've heard of applications (during a previous K1 experience with my ((now)) ex wife), where the interviewer denied the application because he was having a bad day.

Off topic, but during our (my ex wife) interview in Warsaw Poland (2004), the interview was over and done with before I even realized it started.  Seriously, it was less than 2 minutes long.  I was shocked, as I had stacks of documents for us.  They didn't even ask for my financials back then!

43 minutes ago, FN&KO said:

I don't see an issue.   It might even help your case showing more evidence of a genuine marriage.

Just make sure you still have proof of domicile (or intent to re-establish domicile in the US) prior to the visa being issued.   

Hmm, I hadn't looked at it that way.  Makes a lot of sense though.  Cheers for that.  Yeah, I won't be giving up my current home, or address.  I know she can "legally" stay in Mexico for up to 6 months on a tourist visa.  The truth is, she can probably stay a lot longer, if we grease the right wheels.  Perhaps, even through the entire duration of the wait.  

I just wish I could find an actual checklist on here of what I need to bring, and what to get/do once I get there.  I'm checking the tabs above, but not really seeing what I'm looking for.  I'm a noob on here, so I'm not sure how to do an in depth search.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline

She won't get a denial for being living in a different country, but If your wife can't get a legal status while in Mexico, her interview will take place in Manila.

Take in count the fact that a K-1 is very different from CR-1/IR-1 visa, so just prepare all the forms and the evidence very well, also showing your intentions to establish in the US with her.

Edited by Amshep

If MX allows foreigners to live in its country for 7 months then it probably is OK. Best to look at MX laws. It may be easy for you as an American to be in MX but your fiance may be a little difficult.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

As noted above, different for Filipinos in Mexico as tourists vs Americans. May come down to living vs visiting. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

9 hours ago, Amshep said:

She won't get a denial for being living in a different country, but If your wife can't get a legal status while in Mexico, her interview will take place in Manila.

Take in count the fact that a K-1 is very different from CR-1/IR-1 visa, so just prepare all the forms and the evidence very well, also showing your intentions to establish in the US with her.

To play it safe, we'll plan on a 6 month stay for her, then return to Manila for the interview.  I'm not sure how to time the Mexico trip for her though.  I'm still a bit confused on which visa to apply for (K-1 vs. CR-1/IR-1).  I'm not as young as I once was, so this is getting a bit confusing for me.

8 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

If MX allows foreigners to live in its country for 7 months then it probably is OK. Best to look at MX laws. It may be easy for you as an American to be in MX but your fiance may be a little difficult.

We'll just plan on the 6 month stay for her.  

1 minute ago, Shiobhan said:

Will you find her a safe place to live on the border

as long as she does not work , you pay the bilsl and

she depart MX before the final day of 6 months, it

is not a problem...forget the naysayers it is legal

Thanks for that.  Yeah, that's exactly what I was planning to do.  I reckoned it would work that way.  I knew it was legal, I just wasn't sure if a dim view would be taken if discovered by the interviewer.  As far as working is concerned, it's a cash society.  She can work if she wants, and no one will care.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.