JulesOz

What shows up in a background check?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything current and relevant to my case. Hope someone can help out :) 

I'm wondering how the FBI/background checks are conducted and what shows up? I'm from Australia and have two very minor marks on my record. One 'public nuisance' for being drunk, which was over 10 years ago (2006) and shouldn't show up on the record anymore ($400 fine and no other penalty). The other is a 'drunk in public' which was 8 years ago (2009) that might show up on the record (no fine and no penalty.) They are super small and have never been a problem in the past when securing my teaching license and I also successfully applied for a US B2 visa. Should I just disclose them again and assume they won't be a problem.

Or should I not disclose these in the application if they're not going to show up? It would save having to get the documents together. I doubt they would raise a red flag in regards to knocking back my application because they're so minor and happened a long time ago, but I'm worried that if i don't record them they might get found and it'll become an issue.  

What would people do in this scenario? Or what do you recommend? 

Thanks a lot!

Edited by TBoneTX
to correct an unfortunate typo

Well, you know consequensces when USCIS finds out you don't disclose something on your record. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Understood :) So disclose anything, no matter no small and how long ago. Even if it doesn't show up on my own countries records anymore? Do you anticipate there being much of an issue with the application because of these two minor charges?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Most of your sins, at least those that have a paper trail in the US,  will show up in an FBI background check. So just make sure you list them up.

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

Definitely disclose. Besides, you disclosed them when applying for your B2 back then. What you disclosed during your B2 application is probably on the embassy's system already for the CO to see so you'd want to be consistent :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

I'm not a lawyer, but.. if it was me I'd disclose. If you are asked the question you legally need to answer it correctly, obviously if not asked you don't need to tell. BUT if you don't disclosed when asked you can lose everything. 

AOS on VWP:

2014-11-14 (Day 00) Filed for AOS, EAD and AP
2014-11-17 (Day 03) Status Expired / AOS, EAD and AP Received
2014-11-19 (Day 05) Rejection Notice as two pages misplaced by DHS in I-130
2014-11-21 (Day 07) Resubmitted Application
2014-11-28 (Day 14) Resubmitted Application for AOS, EAD and AP Received
2014-12-03 (Day 19) NOA for AOS, EAD and AP (I-131 was sent to wrong address)
2014-12-12 (Day 28) NOA confirming biometrics appointment (I never received this, only attorney did - presume lost in mail)
2014-12-20 (Day 36) Request for Initial Evidence for I-485
2014-12-31 (Day 47) Biometrics Appointment
2015-01-04 (Day 53) Replied to Request for Initial Evidence for I-485
2015-01-30 (Day 77) Offered a Job, submitted request to expedite EAD and AP, infopass meeting scheduled Feb 11
2015-02-10 (Day 88) EAD Approved online.
2015-05-29 (Day 196) Green Card Interview - APPROVED!
2015-06-05 (Day 203) Green Card Arrived

Removal of Conditions:

2017-03-07 (Day 00)  I-751 Package Mailed (CSC)
2017-03-09 (Day 02) I-751 Package delivered (CSC)
2017-03-13 (Day 06)  Checks cashed
2017-03-13 (Day 06) NOA Received 
2017-XX-XX (Day XX) Biometrics Letter 

Timeline
56 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Definitely disclose. Besides, you disclosed them when applying for your B2 back then. What you disclosed during your B2 application is probably on the embassy's system already for the CO to see so you'd want to be consistent :)

Yep that's a very good point. I'm pretty sure I didn't disclose the 2009 thing because at the time I didn't think it would show up. I think I already knew the answer, just wanted people to reiterate the sensible thing to do... disclose. Thanks to everyone who gave me the advice I needed.

Additionally, has anyone filed their application with something on their record? Any tips?

Cheers,

9 minutes ago, JulesOz said:

Yep that's a very good point. I'm pretty sure I didn't disclose the 2009 thing because at the time I didn't think it would show up. I think I already knew the answer, just wanted people to reiterate the sensible thing to do... disclose. Thanks to everyone who gave me the advice I needed.

Additionally, has anyone filed their application with something on their record? Any tips?

Cheers,

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do just fine :D I don't have a record but the only reason why I mentioned that the officers would have our past application history is simply because I was asked a lot about things that were said and recorded from a previously rejected application (but not an adjustment of status process). I was in front of the officer thinking "Wow they know everything from before that even my brain doesn't remember them very clearly now!"

Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just disclose them, they're minor anyways, and chances are USCIS isn't going to care for the offenses, but it'll work in your favor for being honest, even if it's not on record.  

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

I would say that it is possible that everything can show up. If you think about it it can be a matter of security and safety of US citizen(s).

If, during those drunken incidents, you were screaming "Death to Americans", surely USCIS would be interested in the details of the case, even if it was minor charges. Best to disclose them because as you say, they are minor.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

As others have said it's always in your best interest to be completely honest and up front with USCIS. My husband had a drunk driving citation on his record that was about five years old at the time of his embassy interview and it was no problem at all. They are really focused on "crimes of moral turpitude" so be upfront about your mistakes and you should be fine :)

Timeline

Thanks Amanda. From what I've read it seemed like the 'crimes of moral turpitude' were the biggest issues, so I don't think i'll have a problem with such minor offenses that occurred 11 and 8 years ago. As always, honesty is the best practice :) Thanks everyone else for their input.

18 hours ago, JulesOz said:

Searched through the forums, but couldn't find anything current and relevant to my case. Hope someone can help out :) 

I'm wondering how the FBI/background checks are conducted and what shows up? I'm from Australia and have two very minor marks on my record. One 'public nuisance' for being drunk, which was over 10 years ago (2006) and shouldn't show up on the record anymore ($400 fine and no other penalty). The other is a 'drunk in public' which was 8 years ago (2009) that might show up on the record (no fine and no penalty.) They are super small and have never been a problem in the past when securing my teaching license and I also successfully applied for a US B2 visa. Should I just disclose them again and assume they won't be a problem.

Or should I not disclose these in the application if they're not going to show up? It would save having to get the documents together. I doubt they would raise a red flag in regards to knocking back my application because they're so minor and happened a long time ago, but I'm worried that if i don't record them they might get found and it'll become an issue.  

What would people do in this scenario? Or what do you recommend? 

Thanks a lot!

ALWAYS tell the truth!  Omitting things is the equivalent of lying.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.