GazLisa

Feeling anxious

17 posts in this topic

Just filed our K1 visa petition after knowing my American partner for just short of 9 months,and got engaged after nearly 7 months,having filed I thought I'd be less stressed,no such luck,I've never been so overwhelmed in my life ? Has anybody from UK been refused visa before 

Yes, people from the UK have been refused. However, UK is considered a pretty low fraud country, so it's pretty uncommon. Having been together for 9 months at the time of filing shouldn't be an issue.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes, people from the UK have been refused. However, UK is considered a pretty low fraud country, so it's pretty uncommon. Having been together for 9 months at the time of filing shouldn't be an issue.

Ok thank you this whole visa process for me is full of stress lol ? 

You need to find a way to minimize your stress or you'll be a gibbering wreck by the end of this process...

It is possible to be denied at any Embassy but as has already been said London is low fraud and compared to some it's a really easy Embassy to process through 

Good luck on your journey :)

Everything crossed for a smooth and stress free journey

On 15/03/2017 at 1:59 AM, trudi said:

You need to find a way to minimize your stress or you'll be a gibbering wreck by the end of this process...

It is possible to be denied at any Embassy but as has already been said London is low fraud and compared to some it's a really easy Embassy to process through 

Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks ☺️ Received NOA1 in the mail this week,now the wait for NOA2 lol 

• 2 weeks later...

If there is a reason for denial you would know about it already. Denials are issued where the applicant is generally inadmissible to the USA. Criminal records, having a serious mental illness, having previously overstayed and incurring a lifetime ban (and even that is possible to overcome with waivers), being a member of an extremist group, that sort of thing. In short, you would know already. 

My husbabd was denied a visa for the U.K. and issued a lifetime ban for his criminal record and previous drug addiction. We kind of knew he would be denied but we went ahead with it anyway because we hoped that they would make an exception for us. They didn't. 

Its very unusual in London to be denied based on the length of relationship. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

44 minutes ago, JFH said:

If there is a reason for denial you would know about it already. Denials are issued where the applicant is generally inadmissible to the USA. Criminal records, having a serious mental illness, having previously overstayed and incurring a lifetime ban (and even that is possible to overcome with waivers), being a member of an extremist group, that sort of thing. In short, you would know already. 

My husbabd was denied a visa for the U.K. and issued a lifetime ban for his criminal record and previous drug addiction. We kind of knew he would be denied but we went ahead with it anyway because we hoped that they would make an exception for us. They didn't. 

Its very unusual in London to be denied based on the length of relationship. 

I have nothing to worry about then 😅

My wife was very nervous throughout the process. It doesn't help that there is a lot of arbitariness to a lot of the steps, and the organizations are fairly disorganized. You get mixed messages from people at the NVC all the time (Call once, hear one thing, Call again hear something different).

In the end though she had her interview today and it was MUCH smoother than she expected. She was almost shocked on her way out that it was over. The "interview" (which she had me asking her practice questions last night for) lasted <10 minutes, and they didn't want to see her complete photo album or any evidence. They smiled and said she should save it as a "momento".

20 minutes ago, bcking said:

My wife was very nervous throughout the process. It doesn't help that there is a lot of arbitariness to a lot of the steps, and the organizations are fairly disorganized. You get mixed messages from people at the NVC all the time (Call once, hear one thing, Call again hear something different).

In the end though she had her interview today and it was MUCH smoother than she expected. She was almost shocked on her way out that it was over. The "interview" (which she had me asking her practice questions last night for) lasted <10 minutes, and they didn't want to see her complete photo album or any evidence. They smiled and said she should save it as a "momento".

Congratulations! It's been a long journey for you and I'm pleased you've got to the end of it. 

Most people in London are not asked for any evidence at the interview. I was, but our case is a little different. I wasn't asked for relationship evidence, just stuff relating to my husband's past so that the interviewer could tick the box that he had verified that I was aware my husband has a felony.

When you read what people in Africa and Asia go through at interview, you realize how lucky we are. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 minute ago, JFH said:

Congratulations! It's been a long journey for you and I'm pleased you've got to the end of it. 

Most people in London are not asked for any evidence at the interview. I was, but our case is a little different. I wasn't asked for relationship evidence, just stuff relating to my husband's past so that the interviewer could tick the box that he had verified that I was aware my husband has a felony.

When you read what people in Africa and Asia go through at interview, you realize how lucky we are. 

Ya for sure. I'm sure you don't get any "nice interviewers" in some other places. 

37 minutes ago, JFH said:

Can't wait till I have my interview date 😀

Most people have nothing to worry about. The interview is standard, meaning that questions are simple. "how do you know each other, how did you meet, what's your partners birthday." These are just simple relationship questions. They mostly just asked me how my wife supported herself with such a big family before I was issued a Visa and I answered. Most people worry, it's normal, but it is surprising relaxing and simple.

My wife only got two questions (with some reasonable follow-ups). 

"Where did you two meet" (For us that is difficult to answer in one sentence... "We met on a boat in Thailand"...usually follow-up questions are asked)

"How did you maintain your relationship after he left Thailand?"

The second one is fairly open ended so perhaps depending on how my wife responded they would have followed it up more but she said after she answered that the woman said they were done. It was only after the woman said they were done that my wife even mentioned that she had a photo album with over 30 photos in it to show her, to which the woman politely declined and laughed a little.

My wife was literally having me ask her "practice questions" the last two nights. Practice questions about our relationship, pretending to be an immigration officer. 

Overall, there are no right or wrong answers. Just answer the question to the best of your ability. If you don't know something, just say "I don't know, because"... It really is as simple as being asked your age.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Honestly this is easy part. It sucks waiting and being apart, but it's just the tip of the iceberg. I was a wreck during our process, but knowing it would result in us being together permanently was what kept me going. 

07/18/2016- I-129F sent to Texas

7/22/2016- NOA1, case sent to CSC

7/28/2016- NOA1 by mail

09/06/2016-I-129F Approved

09/12/2016-NOA2 by mail

10/24/2016- Medical Interview

12/12/2016- Visa Interview and approval

12/29/2016- Visa issued

1/4/2017- Visa in hand 

1/7/2017- Entry into US 

2/8/2017- AOS and work auth package sent 

2/10/2017-Package received

3/1/2017-NOA's via text

3/4/2017-NOA's hard copy-missing all dates!!!!  

3/17/2017- NOA's came with correct info and dates 

3/30-2017-Biometrics in Orlando FL 

4/27/2017-EAD Approved 

5/05/2017- EAD in hand 

08/31/2017- Got RIFE 

09/28/2017- Sent RIFE Packet 

10/14/2017- Received green card w/ no interview 

07/11/2019- Sent Removal of Conditions Packet

08/07/2019- NOA by text and letter 

11/07/2019- Fingerprints taken

12/04/2020-Green card arrived w/ no interview (USCIS did not update online status)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.