kareelina

My first 2 months in America

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well it's been 2 months since we came here, my two kids already joined public schools they are happy and already made friends , my elder son in high school  is busy most of the time the gym and the track field so he is ok , my younger son is in middle school he is happy with the school as they don't have any home assignment unlike Egypt he used to spend three or four hours doing his assignment till he fell asleep on his desk , but here he does nothing when he comes home from school just playing music or surfing the internet or making videos , but for me I don't like his school , I am in the teaching career and I am that sort of people who want to see their kids sitting at their desks doing homework.

Till now I couldn't find a job , there are plenty of jobs but not near where I live , I want a job near where I live , max.15 min driving not an hour driving as I used to be back home . So I feel a little bit bored cause I am a career woman, my husband wants me to work from home as he does, but I need to go out and meet people , I like talking to people and make friends . I missed my dogs a lot , I left them with my sister and she is so happy because they keep them busy most of the time my sister and her husband live all alone by themselves their kids are grown up and live in another country. Whenever she talks to me about the dogs and what they do , I feel jealous  cause I miss them a lot. Staying at home most of the time gets on my nerve ,and I have a feeling if I can not get a job that help me earn my living and talk to other people apart from my husband , I may think of going back home . 

Edited by kareelina

On 3/12/2017 at 3:37 AM, kareelina said:

Well it's been 2 months since we came here, my two kids already joined public schools they are happy and already made friends , my elder son in high school  is busy most of the time the gym and the track field so he is ok , my younger son is in middle school he is happy with the school as they don't have any home assignment unlike Egypt he used to spend three or four hours doing his assignment till he fell asleep on his desk , but here he does nothing when he comes home from school just playing music or surfing the internet or making videos , but for me I don't like his school , I am in the teaching career and I am that sort of people who want to see their kids sitting at their desks doing homework.

Till now I couldn't find a job , there are plenty of jobs but not near where I live , I want a job near where I live , max.15 min driving not an hour driving as I used to be back home . So I feel a little bit bored cause I am a career woman, my husband wants me to work from home as he does, but I need to go out and meet people , I like talking to people and make friends . I missed my dogs a lot , I left them with my sister and she is so happy because they keep them busy most of the time my sister and her husband live all alone by themselves their kids are grown up and live in another country. Whenever she talks to me about the dogs and what they do , I feel jealous  cause I miss them a lot. Staying at home most of the time gets on my nerve ,and I have a feeling if I can not get a job that help me earn my living and talk to other people apart from my husband , I may think of going back home . 

I am glad your sons are in school and doing well. Hopefully you will get a job soon; it isn't uncommon for it to take 6-8 months to find a job and that's even for Americans. Give it time and it will come. Just be proactive in looking, applying, and getting out into the community. I wish for lots of happiness in your new home in America. 

Timeline
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Ahmed & Amy said:

I am glad your sons are in school and doing well. Hopefully you will get a job soon; it isn't uncommon for it to take 6-8 months to find a job and that's even for Americans. Give it time and it will come. Just be proactive in looking, applying, and getting out into the community. I wish for lots of happiness in your new home in America. 

Thanks a lot. I will try hard to be patient for the sake of my husband and the kids although I missed my job in Egypt a lot. 

6 hours ago, kareelina said:

Thanks a lot. I will try hard to be patient for the sake of my husband and the kids although I missed my job in Egypt a lot. 

You're welcomed dear! Hang in there, it will get better. :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline

Hi'

We are in the same boat, we moved from Syria a week ago and we're also looking for a job but hopefully we will find one soon. We appreciate what USA has to offer for us new immigrants specially for the kids.

Have you tried Craiglist? there are plenty of jobs there including home-based ones.

good luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It took my wife several months to adjust, but we were really busy during that time.  She had to learn how to drive, and get familiar with the area (thank you Waze) while waiting for the AOS to process.  I know what you mean about having a dog.  I lost my dog of many years a few months before my wife (fiancé at the time) came over, but after she arrived and we got married, we got a puppy (lab mix) which of course took a lot of time.  She also enrolled in some ESL classes (even though she has very good English) which allowed her to meet a lot of new people as like you, she is a people person and not just a home body.  After she got her GC/EAD, she started working as a caregiver for an elderly person that she liked a lot, but unfortunately that person passed away last March.  She is now pursuing Russian/English interpreting for legal/medical systems.  She now has many close friends in the area, and has become very independent.  Based on your story and background, you may want to look at getting involved in home schooling for your younger son (many people not from the US are amazed at the lack of homework in elementary and middle schools).  Regardless, just know that the adjustment period is not immediate, it takes time, so stay patient!

Good Luck! 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/14/2017 at 9:18 PM, kareelina said:

I think you need to try it for more than 2 months. I felt the same way when I first moved here. I still miss my job, my family and friends back home. Also the restaurants and places I used to go, the free medical care, the health spa I went to when I felt stressed out. I cannot do any of that anymore. But being here makes my husband happy, so for now that's what I will do and in time maybe he will move back with me :-). If not, I am trying hard to build a life here and doing things to make it feel more like home.

You could be a foster parent to dogs. Then you wouldn't have to adopt them, or make any commitment... but you could take care of some dogs in need until they find someone to adopt them. And also there is the Internet for friends and people to talk to and meet :-). I've never found friends at work in the United States. Everybody is so uptight, they have enough friends, they only go to work to make money, not socialize and make friends... (rolling eyes). LOL. It will get better.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 10/17/2017 at 2:10 PM, amicablebride said:

I think you need to try it for more than 2 months. I felt the same way when I first moved here. I still miss my job, my family and friends back home. Also the restaurants and places I used to go, the free medical care, the health spa I went to when I felt stressed out. I cannot do any of that anymore. But being here makes my husband happy, so for now that's what I will do and in time maybe he will move back with me :-). If not, I am trying hard to build a life here and doing things to make it feel more like home.

You could be a foster parent to dogs. Then you wouldn't have to adopt them, or make any commitment... but you could take care of some dogs in need until they find someone to adopt them. And also there is the Internet for friends and people to talk to and meet :-). I've never found friends at work in the United States. Everybody is so uptight, they have enough friends, they only go to work to make money, not socialize and make friends... (rolling eyes). LOL. It will get better.

Now I got a care provider job in a senior living facility , you are right I have no friends in my work place , no socialization at all , but I make friends with the seniors I love them a lot they need somebody to talk to same as my need to be talked to , I tried to find a job in any animal shelter because my husband refused to have a dog in the house but I couldn't find any , I am OK now with the seniors. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Timeline
On 7/26/2017 at 3:22 AM, Bill & Katya said:

It took my wife several months to adjust, but we were really busy during that time.  She had to learn how to drive, and get familiar with the area (thank you Waze) while waiting for the AOS to process.  I know what you mean about having a dog.  I lost my dog of many years a few months before my wife (fiancé at the time) came over, but after she arrived and we got married, we got a puppy (lab mix) which of course took a lot of time.  She also enrolled in some ESL classes (even though she has very good English) which allowed her to meet a lot of new people as like you, she is a people person and not just a home body.  After she got her GC/EAD, she started working as a caregiver for an elderly person that she liked a lot, but unfortunately that person passed away last March.  She is now pursuing Russian/English interpreting for legal/medical systems.  She now has many close friends in the area, and has become very independent.  Based on your story and background, you may want to look at getting involved in home schooling for your younger son (many people not from the US are amazed at the lack of homework in elementary and middle schools).  Regardless, just know that the adjustment period is not immediate, it takes time, so stay patient!

Good Luck! 

Wow , I am a care provider now and I love the seniors a lot but the saddest part of the job when we lose one of them every now and then .

Timeline
On 7/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, za3bour said:

Hi'

We are in the same boat, we moved from Syria a week ago and we're also looking for a job but hopefully we will find one soon. We appreciate what USA has to offer for us new immigrants specially for the kids.

Have you tried Craiglist? there are plenty of jobs there including home-based ones.

good luck

I recommend to apply for a care provider , it is easy to apply for no experience needed because they provide you with the training

Timeline
On 6/15/2017 at 6:58 AM, apalachidoremi said:

what work did you do in Egypt ? Hang in there, ok?

In the teaching career , but here I tried to apply for a teaching position but they need that California credential 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline
13 minutes ago, kareelina said:

I recommend to apply for a care provider , it is easy to apply for no experience needed because they provide you with the training

Hi

Can you please explain what is a care provider? Or if you can send me a link. 

I still have not found a job, my wife found a job at Kohls but I'm still applying with no luck. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.