Jmeyer1987

Question: I want information on K-3 with spouse from Philippines

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, I did make earlier threads last year about my girlfriend at the time. We aren't together (she lives in Japan), so we broke up and we are just mutual friends now. However a few months ago, I did meet someone new and started a friendship. It really blossomed into something more, as her and I want to date very long term with marriage as the goal. We do plan on meeting each other, but it will be next January/February as I already (I know, already, haha) used up my vacation time for later in the year for my sister's wedding. Since she lives in the Philippines, I have heard things can be quite challenging with visas and such with people over there to either come to the USA for vacation, visiting family/friends/loved one, and such. We have dated about 3 months already, but we are taking things slow as we will meet each other at least 2 times, with the third hopefully being marriage.

See my plan is to meet her and her family first. If they like me the first time, I will ask my girlfriend to talk to her parents about my second meeting with them, to see if I will be a good man for her. Then on the second trip, I will ask them for their blessing if I can propose to her. Then be engaged on the second trip. Then on the third, I will be seeing if I can marry her in the Philippines with her family having the wedding there for us, and my family will come (they will probably be around the area and probably go to Boracay on their own for some alone time). While there in the Philippines for a third time, I will get all the paperwork for our marriage that is over there, like documentations. I'll probably be there for 2 weeks at that time so I can celebrate with her, and also get what I need to take back to the US to file all of the necessary paperwork like the IR1 / CR1 / I-130.

This is also just planned for the future, so things can change. Nothing is concrete yet. She also asked me to post this on the website forum to ask. The OTHER question is that if we do this form of immigration process, I have heard from someone else a few days ago that it may take years for someone from the Philippines to come over here for immigration if I married overseas. Will this process take a long time since she is from the Philippines? :( 

I just read through the processes / step-by-step for everything, so I think I understand that. If you do correct me with what I have typed, please understand that I am also autistic, so if you can actually try to give me advice on how things should be done, I would be appreciated! My autism is mild, but sometimes I have problems following and understanding directions. I will update this thread and STICKY it on my computer so I can respond to it quicker.

Welcome!

Hopefully your plan goes as...well, planned. But I'll just advise you keep an open mind as things will likely shift as your relationship progresses. From an immigration standpoint, you are only required to meet once within the past 2 years, but 3 visits would be much more preferable. Keep copies of boarding passes, itineraries, receipts, etc. as proof of meeting in person within that time frame. I know you'll want a lot of photos, but usually they're harder to place at a specific date and time, and are secondary evidence.

Next...the K-3. K-3 is obsolete. It's technically still on the books, but only a small handful are approved each year...the rest are administratively closed at NVC. Your options are to either do a K-1 (fiance visa) to marry within the US, or a CR-1 if you decide to marry (can be anywhere). Check out the guides here and see what better matches what you want. K-1s are currently about 6-8 months for processing, and CR-1/IR-1s take about 10-12+ months (but is much cheaper and grants a green card after arrival...instead of having an awkward period of not being allowed to work or leave the country for months like the K-1).

In short, if you are planning to marry in the Philippines, then a CR-1 visa is your best route. ETA: 10-12+ months from filing. K-3 would just be a waste of money and turn into a CR-1 eventually.

As for travel to the US...yeah, it hard for many young females, especially when the purpose is to see a significant other. There's a high risk of fraud from PH, so they need the applicant to have strong ties to return home. Also, you cannot sponsor a tourist visa...she needs to prove her ties on her own (and a sponsor letter normally does more harm than good). She just needs to apply for it, prove her ties, and hopefully get approved. If not...time for another PH trip. :)

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Welcome!

Hopefully your plan goes as...well, planned. But I'll just advise you keep an open mind as things will likely shift as your relationship progresses. From an immigration standpoint, you are only required to meet once within the past 2 years, but 3 visits would be much more preferable. Keep copies of boarding passes, itineraries, receipts, etc. as proof of meeting in person within that time frame. I know you'll want a lot of photos, but usually they're harder to place at a specific date and time, and are secondary evidence.

Next...the K-3. K-3 is obsolete. It's technically still on the books, but only a small handful are approved each year...the rest are administratively closed at NVC. Your options are to either do a K-1 (fiance visa) to marry within the US, or a CR-1 if you decide to marry (can be anywhere). Check out the guides here and see what better matches what you want. K-1s are currently about 6-8 months for processing, and CR-1/IR-1s take about 10-12+ months (but is much cheaper and grants a green card after arrival...instead of having an awkward period of not being allowed to work or leave the country for months like the K-1).

In short, if you are planning to marry in the Philippines, then a CR-1 visa is your best route. ETA: 10-12+ months from filing. K-3 would just be a waste of money and turn into a CR-1 eventually.

As for travel to the US...yeah, it hard for many young females, especially when the purpose is to see a significant other. There's a high risk of fraud from PH, so they need the applicant to have strong ties to return home. Also, you cannot sponsor a tourist visa...she needs to prove her ties on her own (and a sponsor letter normally does more harm than good). She just needs to apply for it, prove her ties, and hopefully get approved. If not...time for another PH trip. :)

Good luck.

I see! Thanks! I was unaware that K-3 was actually obsolete. Yes, her and I want to do the CR-1/IR-1. That's what I wanted to do with my ex who lived in Japan, but she has had some personal problems with family that is clouding her judgment; but as a friend now, I do my best to be there for her as a friend.

But since things changed and I moved on, I know that this relationship will work as it takes both parties (myself and hers) to make things work. We will take a lot of pictures of us with having the background show where we are. I will save things. I did with my ex as we did plan doing the K-1, but then later in my relationship we talked about marrying overseas in Vietnam (where she's from) and then having her immigrate over here.

Thank you for your feedback, too! I appreciate it :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.