joemilli

Affidavit of Support & Tax year for Embassy Interview

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

My wife has her interview in two weeks from now. My question is about the affidavit of support. I haven't done my taxes for 2016 yet. On the affidavit sent to the NVC about 4 months ago, I sent transcripts for 2015, 2014 and 2013. Will the embassy ask for the 2016 tax return or should I just send my wife the same affidavit and tax documents that I've sent to the NVC. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

They will check for the recent tax returns! Which is the 2016 Tax returns.

is your case a K-1? Or CR-1?

Edited by RocarrM

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline

Taxes are due April 18 this year so they would not expect you to have filed already.  However, if at all possible and you have received all your 2016 W2s etc, you can file your taxes and update the AOS and have her take both the old AOS and updated AOS (all pages including the signature page) with her at the interview, in addition to the 2013, 2014 and 2015 tax transcripts.  If you will not file 2016 taxes before the interview, at the least, she should take your 2016 W2s.  Good luck!

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

2 hours ago, Duncan21 said:

Taxes are due April 18 this year so they would not expect you to have filed already.  However, if at all possible and you have received all your 2016 W2s etc, you can file your taxes and update the AOS and have her take both the old AOS and updated AOS (all pages including the signature page) with her at the interview, in addition to the 2013, 2014 and 2015 tax transcripts.  If you will not file 2016 taxes before the interview, at the least, she should take your 2016 W2s.  Good luck!

Hi Duncan 21, thank you for your answer. The only reason I haven't done the 2016 taxes us that I have some e-commerce income; in addition to my regular job's income. The e-commerce income is nothing substantial and my full-time time income satisfied the  sponsorship requirements by itself. The problem is some of the e-commerce platforms don't provide 1099s unless  you reach $20000 in transactions. So, since the embassy will want to see the tax forms that prove income, I can't provide them with a 1099 to prove income from online platforms. I can only supply the W2, which meets the requirements of sponsorship. I didn't want to complicate things by adding 2016 taxes. This is the first year I made money on e-commerce. Thank you once again. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
4 hours ago, joemilli said:

Hi Duncan 21, thank you for your answer. The only reason I haven't done the 2016 taxes us that I have some e-commerce income; in addition to my regular job's income. The e-commerce income is nothing substantial and my full-time time income satisfied the  sponsorship requirements by itself. The problem is some of the e-commerce platforms don't provide 1099s unless  you reach $20000 in transactions. So, since the embassy will want to see the tax forms that prove income, I can't provide them with a 1099 to prove income from online platforms. I can only supply the W2, which meets the requirements of sponsorship. I didn't want to complicate things by adding 2016 taxes. This is the first year I made money on e-commerce. Thank you once again. 

Okay, I understand.  The W2 should be fine along with a copy of the original AOS that was submitted and 13, 14 and 15 tax transcripts.  All the best of luck to you and your wife.

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

14 minutes ago, Duncan21 said:

Okay, I understand.  The W2 should be fine along with a copy of the original AOS that was submitted and 13, 14 and 15 tax transcripts.  All the best of luck to you and your wife.

Thank you so much Duncan21! I'm only gonna submit the W2. I hope that this doesn't cause any complications. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.