jg121783

Need to contact health department about step son's positive skin test - questions

11 posts in this topic

My step son tested positive on the tb skin test but was negative on the chest xray during his medical exam. My wife has some documents that say we need to contact the health department about this now that they are here in the US. It is my understanding he will need to undergo a treatment. Does anyone know how much it will cost and if health insurance will cover it? I am in the process of adding my wife and step son to my insurance. Are they going to make him start the treatment immediately or will I have a little time so I can get my health insurance straightened out? Also we are going to enroll my step son in school today. Is this going to cause any issues with enrolling him in school?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

He has to have the school physical form filed out before he can join school. (Here they gave us 30 days though because he just got here we did it before though) But honestly I would think it would cause problems if he is tested positive for tb. The schools are very strict on stuff like this. And I understand this as a mom to a child in school I appreciate these strict rules.

You could talk to your doctor and see what they say though. And bring the DS-3025 so they doctor can see the vaccines he just got so he won't have to do them again.

I know this is a Philippines specific question, and I may be way off base to suggest this to you - but are you sure about the skin test and that it is not a false positive? I say this because some citizens of the UK, may be perfectly fine on a chest x-ray, and then for whatever reason are told they need a new full medical in the US. They have one of course, and the doctor for whatever reason doesn't realize that at some point in their lives they have received something called a BCG (a vaccine we don't receive stateside) which may or may not at times trigger a false positive result in some TB tests. There are different and more reliable methods of testing in a situation like that, but likely more expensive. It can cause a lot of stress for patients like this. If this isn't a situation where there can be no doubt however, I would certainly get him coverage any way you can, because I doubt it would be covered without it, and he will certainly need treatment of some sort, but consulting the circumstances with a doctor would be important (some people may also have latent TB and need no treatment). A definitive answer would really be a type of blood test. A skin test failure is not a definitive diagnosis and may not mean your son needs treatment.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I have been told by nurses I know that anyone who has worked in a hospital will come up positive on the skin test and it doesn't mean you actually have tb. I do remember someone here on vj saying the health department might contact me about this and put my step son on a treatment. Maybe there is another test I could have done to see if he really needs it. I wish my employer would get their act together and get me the form I asked for two weeks ago to add my wife and step son to my insurance.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, jg121783 said:

My step son tested positive on the tb skin test but was negative on the chest xray during his medical exam. My wife has some documents that say we need to contact the health department about this now that they are here in the US. It is my understanding he will need to undergo a treatment. Does anyone know how much it will cost and if health insurance will cover it? I am in the process of adding my wife and step son to my insurance. Are they going to make him start the treatment immediately or will I have a little time so I can get my health insurance straightened out? Also we are going to enroll my step son in school today. Is this going to cause any issues with enrolling him in school?

If you step-son needed to complete DOT for TB he would never have been issued a visa for starters.. until that was completed at SLEC.

Because of his positive skin test he will have to complete another test done at the Health Department, just as a follow-up and precaution.  (and maybe xrays again)

Edited by Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

I concur with sagot. Contact the health dept and proceed with this. If it's a skin test, cost should be minimal. Call your insurance company to determine if it's covered. 

These types of questions should be asked from the school, health department and your insurance.  Every institution within each state can be different.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Hi JG, JUST TAKE YOUR STEPSON TO THE CLINIC WHERE YOU LIVE MOST ARE FREE JUST HAVE TO GET THERE ON A FIRST COME WALK IN 

I will call the health dept tomorrow (at work now) and do what they ask me to do on Monday. Still dealing with a headache trying to get my wife and step son on my health insurance.

Edited by jg121783

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Postive skin test for children doesn't mean they have TB and needs to undergo a treatment.. he could either be allergic to PPD which was used during the skin test, or exposed to TB but doesn't really have TB..most reliable tests to determine tb are chest xray and sputum test(if possible).. Follow ups with pediatricians are needed for them to certify that the child is medically/physically healthy before they can start school..better be safe than sorry.. shouldn't be too expensive :) good luck..

So I finally got a hold of the WI dept of health today. They told me they didn't even receive records from the CDC for my step son yet. I told them what the paper work for the tb skin test said and she said it is nothing to worry about because most people from the Philippines get a vaccine that causes a false positive. She said the county health dept would get a hold of me about doing a blood test and she will call the CDC to request the records. She also said she recommends I wait for the blood test until my step son is on my insurance. So it looks like this is not going to be a big issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.