liveeasy

ITIN

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I filled my taxes last year as head of household while married since my wife has no SSN. Now I asked for ITIN from the IRS, but IRS asked about my tax return of the last year. Are they going to make troubles once see I'm married and filing as head of household?

Edited by liveeasy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

First question: Did you have a child/children last year when you filed as HH? Next, was your wife with you here in the US when you filed last year?

You file HH when you have a child or dependents.

Next, if wifey was here you could have filed MFJ your return at the same time apply for wife's ITIN, using form W-7.

If you didn't have a child / dependent last year but filed HH,  IRS has every reason to ask you what they are asking now.  Am not sure as you have not answered my questions.

I happen to be a tax preparer, btw.

Timeline
1 hour ago, liveeasy said:

Hi all,

I filled my taxes last year as head of household while married since my wife has no SSN. Now I asked for ITIN from the IRS, but IRS asked about my tax return of the last year. Are they going to make troubles once see I'm married and filing as head of household?

but you have the option to amend your 2015 return if filing status was in error, so fear not.

2 hours ago, sharkfin07 said:

First question: Did you have a child/children last year when you filed as HH? Next, was your wife with you here in the US when you filed last year?

Next, if wifey was here you could have filed MFJ your return at the same time apply for wife's ITIN, using form W-7.

If you didn't have a child / dependent last year but filed HH,  IRS has every reason to ask you what they are asking now.  Am not sure as you have not answered my questions.

Yes I have 2 kids. In my new job HR asked for ITIN to my wife for health insurance purposes. 

1 hour ago, sharkfin07 said:

but you have the option to amend your 2015 return if filing status was in error, so fear not.

It is no error but I had no option. When pick married then I need SSN or ITIN which she does not have so I had to pick HH

1 hour ago, rcripps said:

You were married. Head of Household was not an option for filing. Married filing Jointly or Separately were your two filing options. The IRS will want you to refile correctly. 

Once I pick married then I need her SSN or ITIN which I do not have. Will they penalize me or will ask me to amend it.

17 minutes ago, liveeasy said:

Yes I have 2 kids. In my new job HR asked for ITIN to my wife for health insurance purposes. 

2 hours ago, sharkfin07 said:

I have 2 kids and my wife was and still living with us. I had no idea about married jointly or separately, I use turbotax. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, liveeasy said:

I have 2 kids and my wife was and still living with us. I had no idea about married jointly or separately, I use turbotax. 

they won't penalize you. you penalized yourself already with HH as filing status. HH's standard deduction is much lesser than MFJ and less exemption amount as wifey was not included.

i guess,, you were just impatient to efile it as you can not efile  return when requesting for an ITIN at the same time.

i wonder why wife didn't apply for SS no. if she came in legal? 

IRS may have asked you these questions because it is surprising why you didn't include wife despite the much greater benefits. they don't know that you just don't know. that's why it is always better to consult those with experience. you could have also, consulted turbo tax online help with your problem then. 

you must amend it the soonest to include wife and file the W-7 at the same time, so that you still have time to file the 2016 return MFJ, as it takes some weeks for an ITIN to come back to you. no efile for this amended return

go to a tax preparer near you but make sure she/he knows your problem and its urgency to be amended.

good luck..

Timeline
4 hours ago, liveeasy said:

It is no error but I had no option. When pick married then I need SSN or ITIN which she does not have so I had to pick HH

" in error" is similar to erroneously or mistakenly filed . mistake or error can be caused by typo, a lack of knowledge, or etc, ok?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 hours ago, liveeasy said:

same here, at the time of filling we were married, but I couldn't get SSN due to I94 expired and no EAD yet or other legal document to get SSN, so he filed as single.(

10 hours ago, sharkfin07 said:

they won't penalize you. you penalized yourself already with HH as filing status. HH's standard deduction is much lesser than MFJ and less exemption amount as wifey was not included.

i guess,, you were just impatient to efile it as you can not efile  return when requesting for an ITIN at the same time.

i wonder why wife didn't apply for SS no. if she came in legal? 

IRS may have asked you these questions because it is surprising why you didn't include wife despite the much greater benefits. they don't know that you just don't know. that's why it is always better to consult those with experience. you could have also, consulted turbo tax online help with your problem then. 

you must amend it the soonest to include wife and file the W-7 at the same time, so that you still have time to file the 2016 return MFJ, as it takes some weeks for an ITIN to come back to you. no efile for this amended return

go to a tax preparer near you but make sure she/he knows your problem and its urgency to be amended.

good luck..

Yes she came legally but she is not eligible for SSN under F2 visa. Due to lack of knowledge, I did not apply for itin till this year where I have been told we can apply. I already filled my tax return for the 2016 year 2 weeks ago and as HH via turbotax, so now I have to amend it and send the correction with W7 form, right? I was planing to go to the IRS. 

49 minutes ago, Corey911 said:

same here, at the time of filling we were married, but I couldn't get SSN due to I94 expired and no EAD yet or other legal document to get SSN, so he filed as single.(

Why do not u pply for ITIN 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
33 minutes ago, liveeasy said:

Why do not u pply for ITIN 

I have no need to apply for it, I don't have an income, I'm not allowed to work (I'm adjusting from k1)

and the main reason, I want to start my SSN, ITIN and etc documents from my married last name, so I will apply when I get my EAD or GC.

(I didn't apply for SSN  because I don't want to go there and change it to married name)

Filed: Timeline

The guidelines for K-1 said you should apply for SSN shortly after entering country and then change name after marriage. I took my wife to the Social Security Office the day after she arrived. She then went back after we were married. It saved us a lot of problems. Regardless of whether you work or not, you should applied for a SSN. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.