ltkenbo

Opinion of some B2 interview preparation material

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Let me preface my post by saying, I understand that the primary goal of a B2 visa interview will be for the applicant to overcome the presumption of being an intended immigrant by showing strong ties to their home country and convince the consular officer of their likelihood to return. That being said, I have a couple of other questions.

We would like for my mother in law (who lives in Peru) to come visit us. She has never applied for a visa before so we are preparing her for her interview and so I had a couple of other questions.

1. If she was granted the visa, we would be funding her trip expenses. Is there any reason for her to bring any proof of this - I understand that "invitation letters" usually do nothing but cause harm as they make the consular officer think the person will have more ties to the US then their home country. Just want to see if there is any reason to give her anything like this, or if we should just completely forget about it.

2. Do you think that this specific example would be helpful or hurtful evidence of ties to the ones home country:

My mother in law recently recovered from cancer. Because of this, she has periodic doctor's appointments  she has to attend, including another coming up several months from now. Her doctor and previous treatments while she had cancer were all conducted in Peru, and so she will need to return in a couple of months to attend the next one to verify that she remains cancer free. 

Helpful or hurtful? From one perspective, this is a tie to Peru because she has specific doctor's appointments scheduled (all of which she has attended in the past) that she needs to be present for to make sure she stays healthy and receives good care. From another perspective, this could be interpreted as she wants to come to the US and live here to receive better healthcare and benefits. How do you think this would be interpreted? This would not be her only tie, but if this one is good I would like her to use it, otherwise we'll forget about it.

3. Finally, is 2.5 months an acceptable amount of time to visit assuming she is asked how long she plans to visit for?

Thanks!

Ken and Rosela's Journey

08/24/2011 - Rosela and I met online and began talking

03/04/2012 - I traveled to Peru to meet Rosela in person for the first time

08/15/2012- I traveled to Peru to visit Rosela

03/08/2012 - I traveled to Peru with my sister to visit Rosela and for my sister to meet her

05/12/2013 - I traveled to Peru to visit Rosela and ask her to marry me.

05/16/2013 - I asked Rosela to to marry me at LLanganuco Lake at 12,500 ft!

08/19/2013 - I-129F Package Sent to Lockbox!

08/27/2013 - NOA1 electronic notification received!

08/31/2013 - NOA1 hard copy received!

10/29/2013 - I-129F Approved, NOA2 Hardcopy Sent!

11/26/2013 - NVC received our case!

12/02/2013 - NVC forwarded our case to the embassy in Lima, Peru via DHL!

12/05/2013 - DHL delivered our case to the embassy in Lima!

12/10/2013 - Case reads "Ready" on the CEAC website!

12/12/2013 - Contacted the embassy via email and received our interview date for January 6, 2014!

01/06/2014 - Interview and approval! heart.gifgoofy.gif

01/11/2014 - Visa received in hand! Purchased plane tickets!

02/13/2014 - POE in Atlanta with connection to Minneapolis, MN!

03/08/2014 - Got married!

03/21/2014 - Submitted AOS package!

03/28/2014 - Received AOS NOA!

06/30/2014 - Received potential interview waiver letter with delay of up to 6 months (maybe more) :(

Current date - Still Waiting... this is taking so long!? :cry:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Amount of time given generally is always up to immigrations when she arrives to the US, granted she gets the visa but couple months does not sound too bad honestly.

The invitation letter, some will say it is of no use and even detrimental. I did use an invitation letter for my partner before and he would have actually been approved except for his J-1 homestay rule had not been completed; but with that also he had a good track record of being in the US twice before so that was a positive for him.

The doctor appointment, to me does not hold any real weight at all honestly. Like you said, she could be coming to the US to live with you and gain medical and see doctors here. That to me doesn't seem convincing.

It is tough sometimes when you are trying to come up with ideas of what these "ties" could be. Does she have other children there? Own a home? Renting? Bills? Things like that all together could show some ties. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Why coach her? 

Best to have her have a free flowing conversation in her language about why and how long she wants to visit. 

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.