Richard S.

Marriage / Civil Unionship and Immigration

18 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey, Hi, Hello VisaJourney crowd! (TL:DR at the end)

My boyfriend and I are soon entering a civil unionship - almost the same rights as marriage but  a different name (none but 1 of the differences may become a problem). We do this while he is pursuing his bachelors degree here in Austria. He will finish his bachelors around new years. I myself am enrolled at a University doing my Masters, I plan on graduation next summer. This relationship is now going good & strong for 5+ years and we just don't want to go back to beeing apart. That was a big part of why we enter the civil unionship (so we can stay together from new years till we leave for the states). 

There I already mentioned it, he plans on doing his Masters at the University of Wisconsin starting next years Fall. Basically as soon as I am done with my masters, we want to move to WI. Getting a work permit ASAP (visa or GC) is crucial since we can only save so much. (His mom will co-finance/ cosponsor). 

Now I get to the problem - once our civil unionship is official I am basically married in the eyes of Austria (so is he) and therefore won't be able to get a certificate of no impediment from Austria. On the other hand it seems to be not recognized by the US and therefore I cannot apply for a CR1. I also cannot apply for a K1 since I can't prove I'm not married / even if i get the K1 what would happen in the States when I actually want to marry him by us law? Getting a divorce from my husband in order to marry him seems weird, would be costly and most likely slow everything down. 

I hope this makes sense and I'm happy to answer questions, thank you already for your responses.

TL:DR

getting same sex marriage in Austria which may not be recognized by the us. Cannot aquire certificate of no impediment for a marriage in the us / cannot apply for a CR1 because I'm not his husband.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Same sex marriage is recognized in the US both on a federal and state level

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Kastrs said:

Same sex marriage is recognized in the US both on a federal and state level

I am aware same sex marriage is, but Austria has no "same sex marriage" but rather a civil unionship - which is getting married for same sex couples here. Just a different name (Eingetragene Partnerschaft vs. Ehe), but in the us it is seen as a civil unionship and not recognized as marriage( from what I've learned). Still Austria sees it as beeing married - hence I don't get a paper that states I'm not married.

thank you for your response :)

Edited by Richard S.
Thank you was forgotten

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you guys go somewhere and get legally married? 

I'm guessing as long as there is a marriage certificate the cr-1 would be on the table. 

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Had a quick google and a look at the US Embassy Vienna site. The wording is a little vague and confusing, it says the civil unions aren't accepted and it also seems to say that if a union is considered to be a marriage in the country where it is celebrated then it's ok.

Very confusing.

You might be forced to play it safe, not marry in Austria and instead apply for a fiance visa.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Get legally married in some place that allows this if you wish to move to the USA.  You are in the spot of not married enough for one but too married for the other. You dont have to divorce first, in the eyes of the USA you arent married. You could try the common-law route but it's not common and i believe rather difficult.  Ive seen one person on here pursue that direction but never checked back with the outcome. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Cr1 takes a year, fiance visa is faster but almost twice the cost too. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you guys for the comments, yep it is vague and confusing and yes i find myself exactly in between two spots :/ We need to do the civil unionship now in order to stay together here in austria (also to save up some money but explaing all the reasons that go into this desicion would be too big) At this point we just have to go down with this civil unionship, but it is almost time to apply for either a k1 or a cr1 since we plan to move already in the summer of 2018 - this situation is quite stressfull. I really appreciate each and every person trying to help and contributing!

Does anyone know which officials I could contact for information ? USCIS? Some other agency in WI? 

Edited by Richard S.
Typo

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You could always nip over to the States on VWP, get married in Vegas, head back to Austria and file for CR-1.

Presumably being married in the US would allow him to stay in Austria with you.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MacUK said:

You could always nip over to the States on VWP, get married in Vegas, head back to Austria and file for CR-1.

Presumably being married in the US would allow him to stay in Austria with you.

Well it would, if there wouldn't be a whole lot of other reasons to have this civil unionship right now. Once we have it I cannot marry him again in the states - since i don't get the necessary documents. Also it would be quite expensive to do that and we really try to save everything we can. 

I think you should go to a nearby country where same-sex marriage is legal and then there will be no grey area for immigration. I would suggest the U.K. but I am assuming your boyfriend doesn't have an EU passport so would need a visa to marry in the UK. But Ireland could be an option? It would be in English also. It might be possible to do it within a very short space of time. I've not looked into marriage laws in Ireland but it's something to consider. 

If being able to work right away upon arrival is important, then you will need to do the CR-1 route, for which you must be legally married. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why not keep it simple and ask the Consulate?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why not keep it simple and ask the Consulate?

I do plan on doing this, I just didn't want them to tell me it works, or even get a k1 and then be told once I'm in america I need a certain paper which I cannot get, or be told a cr1 works but then after months of waiting we get declined or something like that.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, JFH said:

I think you should go to a nearby country where same-sex marriage is legal and then there will be no grey area for immigration.........

I may look into this, he has a US passport. There is a good chance that it won't work simply because it needs to happen very soon, before I enter my civil service (not to make Austria sound bad but that is almost modern slavery in my opinion) where I will work for a whopping 300€ a month - full time - while i keep studying. Also I won't be able to travel really, i get only 2 weeks off, those 2 weeks I need for 2 project's at the university. 

I do have savings and it would be enough for I'd say 6-12 months of living in the states, depending on us having our own place or staying with his mom, the cars we need to buy & health insurance. That's why finding a job (I'm in the field of cyber security and expect not to long of a search) but especially getting a work permit are pretty high on the list of important things, hell I'd even work at walmart or pretty much anywhere as long as we stay a float ;) 

I definitely will reach out to the consulate and keep you guys posted. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.