Lorinkell

Frequency visits to the US

24 posts in this topic

The fact that you are returning again will not in itself raise any eyebrows. What may be an issue is a 4-month stay with a "friend". It's a long, expensive flight to see a friend. And not many jobs give that much paid time off. The CBP officer is likely to be suspicious about your finances and work arrangements that permit you to fly to the other side of the world for 4 months to see a friend. It also doesn't take 4 months to see a few national parks. CBP are likely to want to know what other plans you have as they will find it hard to believe you need 4 months to see a few parks (beautiful as they are). And how you will support yourself during that time. 

Bear in mind that even if you are admitted, there is no guarantee that you will be able to stay 4 months. The length of stay is determined by the CBP officer at the airport. If he feels 2 weeks is enough to see a few parks, he can stamp your passport for 2 weeks only. Visitors don't get to choose their length of stay. What you want to see and how long you want to stay are irrelevant to CBP. 

I entered as a visitor over 40 times before I emigrated (my husband is a USC) and even though most of my visits were just for a week, sometimes two, I was regularly asked how much money I had, what work I did and how I could afford so many trips (I used to work for American Airlines so I had staff travel benefits). 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

10 minutes ago, JFH said:

The fact that you are returning again will not in itself raise any eyebrows. What may be an issue is a 4-month stay with a "friend". It's a long, expensive flight to see a friend. And not many jobs give that much paid time off. The CBP officer is likely to be suspicious about your finances and work arrangements that permit you to fly to the other side of the world for 4 months to see a friend. It also doesn't take 4 months to see a few national parks. CBP are likely to want to know what other plans you have as they will find it hard to believe you need 4 months to see a few parks (beautiful as they are). And how you will support yourself during that time. 

Bear in mind that even if you are admitted, there is no guarantee that you will be able to stay 4 months. The length of stay is determined by the CBP officer at the airport. If he feels 2 weeks is enough to see a few parks, he can stamp your passport for 2 weeks only. Visitors don't get to choose their length of stay. What you want to see and how long you want to stay are irrelevant to CBP. 

I entered as a visitor over 40 times before I emigrated (my husband is a USC) and even though most of my visits were just for a week, sometimes two, I was regularly asked how much money I had, what work I did and how I could afford so many trips (I used to work for American Airlines so I had staff travel benefits). 

The reason I can stay for 4 months is because I received a large inheritance for an uncle which I can easily prove through my bank statement, this has allowed me to take time off of work so I can very easily support myself, all they would need to do is call my friend and she would confirm our plans to tour, since it's going into the summer months,  there are a lot more places to visit. I have seen other posts where people had told the officer they were planing a 5 month road trip through the US and were allowed to enter.  I guess we will see when I arrive back. 

It depends since four months is a long time, be prepared to show enough money and ties to your country like others have said.

I went to New York and New Orleans for a month in july 2015, returned home and then went back for a month in Texas in October 2015. 

I came back to Texas in February 2016 and stayed six months, and that's what was a red flag to them, and was denied entry. 

sounds like having a plan of the places you want to go, the money on the bank, and answering honestly and remaining calm of course,  is the right way to go. 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

2 minutes ago, Dilorena said:

It depends since four months is a long time, be prepared to show enough money and ties to your country like others have said.

I went to New York and New Orleans for a month in july 2015, returned home and then went back for a month in Texas in October 2015. 

I came back to Texas in February 2016 and stayed six months, and that's what was a red flag to them, and was denied entry. 

sounds like having a plan of the places you want to go, the money on the bank, and answering honestly and remaining calm of course,  is the right way to go. 

Sorry i didn't understand what you meant about going back in February and staying for 6 months,  did you tell them you were staying 6 months and they denied you or did you stay 6 months the return again and got denied? 

2 minutes ago, Lorinkell said:

Sorry i didn't understand what you meant about going back in February and staying for 6 months,  did you tell them you were staying 6 months and they denied you or did you stay 6 months the return again and got denied? 

I stayed for six months, I wasn't questioned and I had a return plane ticket. 

I didn't wait enough time to come back, there's is a ''rule'' that says you should wait at list six months, because of course you can't live more in the U.S than your own country,  so I was denied entry. Lesson learned! 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

15 minutes ago, Lorinkell said:

The reason I can stay for 4 months is because I received a large inheritance for an uncle which I can easily prove through my bank statement, this has allowed me to take time off of work so I can very easily support myself, all they would need to do is call my friend and she would confirm our plans to tour, since it's going into the summer months,  there are a lot more places to visit. I have seen other posts where people had told the officer they were planing a 5 month road trip through the US and were allowed to enter.  I guess we will see when I arrive back. 

They won't call your friend to confirm your plans. Your entry is your deal. It is up to you to satisfy the officer that you have no intention to stay, without the back-up or assistance of others. On occasions where they have called others, it usually backfires because if one minor detail in your stories differs then it's game over. 

Make sure you take evidence of the inheritance as your means of support but also take evidence of strong ties to your homeland. 

A full itinerary of the trip is also a good idea so that the officer can see that you have made concrete plans of what to see and you're not just going to lounge on your friend's couch for 4 months.

Above all, remember that entrance is a privilege not a right and never compare your scenario with anecdotal online posts. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

24 minutes ago, JFH said:

They won't call your friend to confirm your plans. Your entry is your deal. It is up to you to satisfy the officer that you have no intention to stay, without the back-up or assistance of others. On occasions where they have called others, it usually backfires because if one minor detail in your stories differs then it's game over. 

Make sure you take evidence of the inheritance as your means of support but also take evidence of strong ties to your homeland. 

A full itinerary of the trip is also a good idea so that the officer can see that you have made concrete plans of what to see and you're not just going to lounge on your friend's couch for 4 months.

Above all, remember that entrance is a privilege not a right and never compare your scenario with anecdotal online posts. 

Thank you 

34 minutes ago, Dilorena said:

I stayed for six months, I wasn't questioned and I had a return plane ticket. 

I didn't wait enough time to come back, there's is a ''rule'' that says you should wait at list six months, because of course you can't live more in the U.S than your own country,  so I was denied entry. Lesson learned! 

Okay,  thank you.  This will be only my second trip to the US so hopefully it won't be a problem.  

13 hours ago, KierenHby said:

You lucked out; would expect closer scrutiny this day n age. 

I completely agree. The third time I was expecting a very hard time. I brought the lease to my house, my contract of employment, bank statements etc, just in case. This was 5 years ago. I would expect with everything happening at the moment it may not be as plain sailing as it was for me.

heart.gif Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite heart.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.