Suzi-by-the-Sea

21 Year Age Gap / Senegal

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Greetings! 

I am about to embark on the K-1 Journey by petitioning for my love who resides in Senegal. He is 21years younger: he is 28 and I am 49. I have read about such age gaps being a definite problem or no problem whatsoever. We are 100% legit and will spend our lives together somehow someway. Idealy we will successfully get through this process, God willing. Any kind and helpful guidance is truly appreciated. 

Best to All!

Hopefully I have posted this is the correct place ... not quite sure how to navigate the site yet.

Edited by Suzi-by-the-Sea

The best way to determine if age gap is an issue is by asking yourself "Is this out of the norm for the foreign fiances local culture?" I'd assume that it's not the culture in Sengal for a man in his late 20's to marry someone much older than him and potentially out of child bearing age.

Saddly, as we have to let a lot of people know, being "legit" or "in love" or having the feeling of "our love is real!" isn't enough for USCIS. Proof is what they want, the more red flags you have, the stronger the proof they'll want.

How many times have you met in person and for how long?
Do you know his family, as in you've met them?
Do they approve of the relationship?
How long have you been dating?
Where did you meet?

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You have to provide a lot of evidence that it is a bonafide relationship.  How many times have you physically seen each other within the past two years prior to you filing?  They want to see more than computer interaction via skype or FB.  Write a timeline on your relationship and look at it as a stranger reading about your relationship, if you have questions or doubts about what you wrote, then the CO will as well.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As we like to say on VJ, age is just a number.

The important thing is that you are together, whether it be he is the one to move, or you are the one to move.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do agree you can always over come thing; but as was stated also, I am doubting that this type of age gap is a common thing for a younger male in his home country. This most likely will be a big red flag to the embassy. USCIS in the sense of the petition could care less, the embassy is the one you have to prove it to.

With such an age gap, a lot of evidence of relationship is needed, and not just chat logs, but maybe 3-4 visits in person even of decent length. It might not go easily; but it can be overcome. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes a large age gap is a red flag, especially in Africa, especially when the woman is older and past child bearing age.

That doesn't mean you will definitely be denied, but it will be more difficult to get approved; the best thing you can do is have lots of "face time", ie time spend together, either in his country, the USA, or a third country.  Bonus if you cna actually live together a few months and/ or your family comes to meet him (especially if you have kids).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

Hello: From personal experience definitely more face time with your spouse is needed as well as documentation to prove the validity of the relationship.  My husband and I were denied the first time. Now waiting for response to provide more evidence.   This is a tough embassy. Just believe and have faith. Eventually it will all work out. 

Timeline

The age gap between my fiance and i is 21 though not US embassy in Senegal but i believe no matter what country you hail from, if you are able to provide much evidence and your relationship is real,  your visa will be approved.

After my interview, the co said everything is ok, your visa will be issued as soon as we receive your passport with a translated paper and the missing medical. I am yet to send it. 

My fiance visited me twice within 1 year and 5 months. And during each visit, she spent 15 days with me. We had to provide lots of evidence like engagement pictures, Skype, fb, whatsapp and call records. There were no family members on our pictures or even friends. Just the both of us only, and in different places. The only picture that included other people was the one we took when we went to church together. Though the co asked what my family think about my relationship, if I had spoken with any member of her family member. 

So I believe you have to front load your packet 3 so the embassy will review all before your interview. Don't forget to keep praying because with God all things are possible. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Each embassy can vary a bit on this.  Being prepared and doing your research ahead of time can be your saving grace.

Cultural customs and norms are of importance. Issues of age gap, especially where woman is older and possibily no longer of child bearing age and different religions are important to address and overcome.

Facetime, proof of regular and consistant correspondence, and frontloading (the initial petition) are important.  It can be done.  Good Luck!

Just a note:  Sending in extra relationship evidence with packet 3 is what we call sideloading.

Edited by LionessDeon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.